Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
SLM

I haven't had any issues in that regard. I will say that they are the slightly chubby kid on the block.Also not an issue for me since I use them for my stationary glassing off a tripod. The 8X33s are much lighter and hang in my chest pack for offhand and final stalk type work.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
GB1

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Appreciate it. They don’t accept a stud for a tripod mount, correct?

Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
SLM

I haven't had any issues in that regard. I will say that they are the slightly chubby kid on the block.Also not an issue for me since I use them for my stationary glassing off a tripod. The 8X33s are much lighter and hang in my chest pack for offhand and final stalk type work.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Kowa 8x33 are damn good. Was comparing them this evening to my 8x30 slc (not quite apples to apples) and I couldn’t see a difference at last light.

Nikon EDG line was def alpha to my eyes. Their Monarch HG are very solid. Too bad their optics rep has gone to shiite.

Based on that, I’d say Meopta and Kowa for me

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Mik123
Kowa Genesis binos are top notch. I regret selling mine, For my eyes they were as good as the swaros I have and half the cost.

They are pretty spectacular especially for 1k. I don't know how they could be any better.

I got an aziak barrel clamp arca thingy for my 10.5x44 genesis. No need for a center stud.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 08/14/23.
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Steiner and Docter while old testament are still in there.

Kent

IC B2

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Anything Vortex, Tract, Minox, Nikon, Leupold is a different lower level.

Kent

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I would vote Meopta and Steiner for 4 and 5

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
It has been a long time since Leica, Swarovski and Zeiss were vastly better than Japanese glass. Though Japanese optics did spur them on....

Around 20 years ago I went on a hunt with an old buddy who'd recently purchased a "Big Three" 10x42, specifically for the mule deer hunt in the Missouri Breaks. He was extremely disappointed when my 10x42 from a Japanese company allowed me to see detail he couldn't. The difference wasn't huge, but it was there--as we confirmed by switching our 10x42s back and forth.

This disparity caused the Euro companies to improve, but the best Japanese glass still hangs right in there. Why wouldn't it? Optics technology is not limited to central European German-speaking countries. Which is also why Meopta has made optics for those companies, and nobody complained. It's also why some Zeiss optics have been made in Japan for over a decade.

The names of the products don't matter nearly as much as they used to.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by T_Inman
The higher end Steiner has impressed me WAY more than Swaro (at least the EL and SLC)..

Can't think of a post I have disagreed with more that was not posted by Bull Schitt Artist or Lil'Dick,
You must have way different eyes than me, can't imagine ever buying another Steiner optic of any kind

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Some Zeiss (Terra ED series) binoculars are also made in China....Hb

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by T_Inman
The higher end Steiner has impressed me WAY more than Swaro (at least the EL and SLC)..

Can't think of a post I have disagreed with more that was not posted by Bull Schitt Artist or Lil'Dick,
You must have way different eyes than me, can't imagine ever buying another Steiner optic of any kind

Have you tried Steiner's 'Wildlife' or its predecessor, the 'Peregrine'?

I am not referring to their clarity. You won't find me complaining about the clarity of Swaros, but you will find me complaining about their ruggedness and dependability in rain, fog and extreme cold.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by SLM
Appreciate it. They don’t accept a stud for a tripod mount, correct?

Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
SLM

Correct, no stud adapter.

I use an RRS Cinch-LR Elite, which I like better than any stud I've ever used. Mine is the aluminum version, which is a bit pricey, but they also offer a cheaper polymer option.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 08/15/23.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
4th place would be Meopta .

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
In no particular order, Meopta and Minox (Made in Germany) have been great.

StarchedCover

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Optics technology is not limited to central European German-speaking countries. Which is also why Meopta has made optics for those companies, and nobody complained. It's also why some Zeiss optics have been made in Japan for over a decade.

Agreed. When Nikon was still offering the EDG line, it hung with any of the big boys - and made in Japan.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
My only binocular is a Zeiss Conquest 8x-20 and I really like it. Weighs 7 or 8 ounces , hard to beat for backpack type hunting.
The 10x42 Zeiss Conquest HD gets great reviews for a $1,000 binocular. Lots of great binos make it hard to decide without being able to see what works best for me.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ol_mike
My only binocular is a Zeiss Conquest 8x-20 and I really like it. Weighs 7 or 8 ounces , hard to beat for backpack type hunting.
The 10x42 Zeiss Conquest HD gets great reviews for a $1,000 binocular. Lots of great binos make it hard to decide without being able to see what works best for me.

That Conquest is likely the one MD referred to when talking about Zeiss' Japanese made product. SKane, agree.......the EDG is fantastic.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
A dozen years Zeiss also introduced a spotting scope made in Japan. Don't know if they still offer it, but it was extremely good. The Zeiss PR person back then that Zeiss had their Japanese optics to made to their specs, which I would guess probably meant by Light Optical.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The brand bias thing has always been interesting to me Mule Deer. I had saved at one time your example about this regarding humans/wine tasting, and the bias proven by that. I'm sure we all have it to some degree, but maybe it's my age and eyesight at 62 yrs old. I enjoy comparing mid priced binos side by side on tripods with my Swaro's and Meopta HD's. Many examples of which I can't tell much difference anymore.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Someone educate me, but in the past, did the EURO mfg glass i.e. German ZEISS contain Lead, and did that add optical benefits? It seems perhaps those models were heavier, not sure if the lead component was why.

Just wondering if Regs and Laws in mfg. have stopped lead from being used in all countries, given all the 'Climate' talk around the globe.

Thanks.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (222Sako, 12344mag, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 68 invisible), 2,255 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,285
Posts18,486,876
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.