HR IC

Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by greydog
I would take the Model 70 over that particular FN. GD

Same here. I wouldn’t be in a hurry to put a pad on it either. A small eyepieces scope will mount pretty low as well.

They’re quite heavy though but you mention weight isn’t a factor so, I say say that 70 is gem. But I’m biased as heck.

Got half a mind to just put a period receiver sight on it and try it like that...if not maybe a Bushnnell 3200 or 4200.

Not really a fan of em without a pad...call me what ya will haha.

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
How bout a Browning FN vs a Pre 64 70?

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Igloo
Definitely know what you mean about more streamlined, less clunky.

*May* just hold off until a pre 64 Featherweight comes along.

Edit: Here's the 70. Its a 1947. Other than the lil inlet/indentation where the receiver sight used to be installed I don't see anything amiss but....pretty untrained eye lol. Not my favorite stock style for those but could always trade it for a Monte Carlo. Wouldn't mind if it was one that already had a buttpad on it I could replace with a red Pachmayr or something.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Very nice looking M70, really like the classic look of the low comb stock.
Looks like the elevator is missing, not a big deal.
As far as swapping out that stock for a Monte Carlo, theoretically it’s possible as MC stocks could be Special Ordered before they were Calalogued. However, don’t recall ever seeing a MC stock that was factory inlet for a M70 with a dolls head tang. Has anyone ever seen a MC stock so configured?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Didn't know that! Thanks for the info!

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a bunch of Sakos, but would take the early model 70 over the Sako. Mauser actions are popular, but have way too much spare steel on the back of the action…

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I prefer the model 70 because of the trigger lock time. I find that a I tend to wave off target more with the Mauser than the 70 because of lock time.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

The 2 drawbacks with the Browning were possible salt wood and the aluminum bottom metal.
They were always better finished than a pre 64 and always had superior wood.

Here's what you can get for 1750 with a 300 buck scope and mounts included.
Tell me how a pre 64 is better or cheaper.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...upold-3x9-vari-x-ii.cfm?gun_id=102333493

Last edited by armchair; 08/15/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I have a bunch of Sakos, but would take the early model 70 over the Sako. Mauser actions are popular, but have way too much spare steel on the back of the action…

For what it's worth, the "spare steel" is what puts the 98 at the opposite extreme of a pre 64 in the gas handling department. I do prefer my pre 64 featherweights for backpack hunts.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by armchair
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

The 2 drawbacks with the Browning were possible salt wood and the aluminum bottom metal.
They were always better finished than a pre 64 and always had superior wood.

Here's what you can get for 1750 with a 300 buck scope and mounts included.
Tell me how a pre 64 is better or cheaper.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...upold-3x9-vari-x-ii.cfm?gun_id=102333493

Pre 64 is not better for sure.

IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
My gosh! There's a lot of speculation and off-point in strict context of proposing Choice "C" as "A" and "B" are in factual contention. I own both species and I believe what it comes down to is availability, pricing, requirements & tastes.

Below, the 'off top of head' narrative responding in manner of "my take" concerning the original question and as my just criticizing above, committing the same sin, in moving wider as answering apparent relevant questions proximate, not asked.

Easier to start with the Sako FN. This rifle was a product of the latter sixties as Sako desired to move into the long action high power market but the L-61 "Finnbear" was still in concept only. All of these Sako FN models were of the earlier 300 Series non-Supreme design. Thus they were "purer 98" actions of the Striker impinging safety rather than the later, cast by FN as more deluxe (a matter of opinion as I prefer the earlier), trigger impinging safety. Notable as positioning the safety lever adjacent to tang. A slicker appearing action, as bit less rugged. For hunter use versus military application, as acceptable. All of the Sakos had steel bottom metal and as noted above, the simple FN push button floorplate release which detached the floorplate, magazine spring & follower pattern. That SOP FN design. Noting as aside, the Supreme - not of discussion here - went to the alloy bottom metal as a 'floppy unit'. The Supreme moved to hinged bottom metal design AS moving to alloy. A trade of convenience as incurring alloy finish matter of time finish loss. The couple of Sako earlier 300 specimens, in 300 Weatherby mag in fancy Bishop custom stock and an 'as issued' Sako 30-06 in their stock. Latter, a bit heavy and clunky itself. These were fine rifles utilizing the FN made actions, just as Husqvarna used in their 640 Model iterations. To me, the Husqvarnas were a better value and the stocks not quite as clunky. Just an aside.

The Winchester pre '64 Model 70 is first and foremost an Icon. Live with that perception and price point as 'buying into. Beyond. The 70 itself of course a mauser pattern action as both it and Sako, FN, Husqvarnas, etc., mentioned here as all mauser pattern "based". The Model 70 arose to the use of Chrome Moly Steel in all principle components. Termed "Winchester Proof Steel" inscribed on barrels, receiver and bolt. It was a superior action in terms of brute strength. It was also an extra expense and the side story of in Model 70 development, the Factory engineers questioning whether such metal was worth the extra cost. John Olin, Olin Chemicals as then parent of the Winchester Firm, a sportsman himself, simply preferred it and such "happening". Can't speak to the authenticity of the story, but the fact of a metal employment beyond entirely capable nickel steel and the like, speaks to a part of the Winchester 70 legacy reputation. The FN mauser barrels of comparable strength, but actions simply entirely capable as not "overbuilt", as better constraining retail price point. Sadly, history teaches us, FN mausers as retailed of their own manufacture, were excessively pricey and after several years in early fifties, quietly withdrew from the US marketplace. Their actions thus afterward, more reasonably priced as notably of "other brands" incorporated as referenced here.

Winchester quality did depreciate somewhat between thirties era introduction and "Pre '64" production end. Metal finish and notably stocks wood and checkering detail depreciated. What did not change was both materials and functionality. They 'kept on ticking' if aesthetics and action smoothness feel bit depreciated.

I enjoy both rifles for what they are. They are competitors yet in todays markets, I would expect to pay a greater price for both "aura" and theoretically superior metals of the ore '64 Winchester. It also of clunky stocks and my personal prejudice across the board of rifle brands, Monte Carlo stocks appear more clunky! I don't like them.
The Winchester trigger was considered "state of the art" of its day and is factually simpler while achieving quite good if less than 'best target' quality of good postwar commercial adjustable triggers. FN did offer double set triggers. Indeed I have a Flaig's Firm FN 300 series 98 rifle with such! Otherwise, I don't 'generally' mind the FN standard issue commercial mauser trigger but admission of never target shooting for reason of "Baseball bats and Bull's butts" analogy!

Other factors, getting more specialized and detailed moving to individual preferences. One notable difference is the Winchester Super Grade rifles, which stock is a thing of beauty. Most are interchangeable within differentiation of tang inletting, altered as of approximate 1947. Such and of "Standard model barrel and Ceatheweight (rare of Super Grades) as differing barrel inletting patterns. Some heavier barrel chamberings might require opening the barrel channel, but up through .338 Winchester, no external inletting problems. The long-mag chamberings of internal magazine length differences. The point if to score a 70 SG with decent stock & price, (if red Winchester pad, expect rock hard & deteriorated) a true custom grade product which should be considered.

Receiver sights. Lyman Models 57 or preferably more deluxe Model 48, in three models over the decades evolved. First two iterations requiring notable and irreversible inletting. A scar resulting if later permanently removed. The last, third Lyman edition had special "scalloping" as not requiring inletting and such factual in 'most cases'. It would be the sweet spot for aperture sight applications for an untouched stock. I'm speaking here of the Model 70. FN, I'm unsure whether Lyman offered such no-inletting product due to the fact of so many FN mauser applications in differing brands/models and resulting stocks. Of earlier applications, Lyman sub-models for generic mausers with several-only differentiations.

The Browning Salt stock issue, material but beyond scope for sure here. Info on the Internet and I believe of several years production only.

So! Let whatever remaining "conjuring" resume!

Best and Good Luck in researching!
John

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Both are great rifles, so you can't go wrong.

I'd go with the Sako/Mauser (FN Supreme action?). The driving force for me for the Sako/Mauser is the stock ( specifically the higher comb ) for good eye alignment for scope use. I had a pre-64 Win m70 in 270 Win. It had too much drop at the comb for natural eye scope alignment-for ME.

Is the Sako/Mauser action drilled and tapped? If so, I'd call it a "done deal."

In my view, a Win m70 is Mauser 98. Design features are similar, or close enough, between the two actions.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MikeS

For what it's worth, the "spare steel" is what puts the 98 at the opposite extreme of a pre 64 in the gas handling department. I do prefer my pre 64 featherweights for backpack hunts.

My guess is you might prefer a Winchester model 21 over a nice English side by side…

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Winchester 70 for me. I love the feel of a pre 64

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

My guess is you might prefer a Winchester model 21 over a nice English side by side…

Not at all....a 7 pin sidelock AYA is as close as I've owned to an English best gun double though.

I do like English walnut however. Hardly even notice the spare metal on my .257 Roberts. smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by MikeS; 08/16/23.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Not at all....a 7 pin sidelock AYA is as close as I've owned to an English best gun double though.

Snobs. Make that M21 a 28in 16ga with high grade wood and youse can keep your imports. 😏

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Both are of equal serviceability but the win 70 will always be worth more
But if it’s going to be your primary hunting rifle get the one you like best price should never be a factor the rifle over its life is the cheapest piece of gear you will have to buy.
The 70 has a 3 pos safety and a better trigger imo than an FN

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I do like English walnut however. Hardly even notice the spare metal on my .257 Roberts. smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I have a 257 Roberts and you will notice even cleaner lines on this and color/case to help improve the look even more..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice rifle and buck. The case hardening is a nice touch. I prefer the wing safety bolt shrouds on my 98s though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the wings as well. Flipping them off is very akin to thumbing back a hammer. On a rifle with irons, it’s no contest.

OTOH, the M70 style as on the custom I have allows easy take-down; no dime needed……

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 2,240 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,108
Posts18,502,258
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.