Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Not the bushing dies, I understand how they work, but in my pile of dies I have a three die set. It claims to be neck sizing dies. It's a Redding . How is it supposed to work , and does it ?

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sizes as little or as much of the neck as you chose without bumping the shoulder. Do they work, yes and no. Some rifles respond favorably some don’t. Depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

Swifty
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
forget neck sizing its been proven its not as accurate .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I have them for all of my favorite calibers. And I am very fond of them. While 53 says they are not as accurate, for me, I have never noticed it. But you do have to keep your brass for each rifle separate as it will not chamber in other rifles. Just have to try it.

Molon Labe
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
Not the bushing dies, I understand how they work, but in my pile of dies I have a three die set. It claims to be neck sizing dies. It's a Redding . How is it supposed to work , and does it ?

Conventional neck sizing dies are often a source of runout.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pete53

Not always but carry on.

Originally Posted by mathman
Conventional neck sizing dies are often a source of runout.

Run out can be built in from the factory or from mishandling of the brass through bad practices. Mitigation and correction of bad practices is problematic. Neck sizing on its own doesn’t necessarily equate to runout or bad accuracy.

Swifty
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That's all I use for bottleneck cartridges. Turn and ream all of my brass after its first firing and have no run out issues. Don't cross over to other rifles, so if it comes out of a chamber, it always goes back in with no need for full length work.

Full lengths for straight walls.

Last edited by 1minute; 08/15/23.

1Minute
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Neck sizing for me. Lee collet dies.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have had conventional neck dies induce significant runout. Have not had any problems with Lee Collet dies. YMMV.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Neck sizing for me. Lee collet dies.

P

Amen brother. Makes very accurate, straight ammo, and I use rifle specific fireformed brass for every rifle I own.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Lee Collet dies are also great for the lazy reloader, too. I have them for every cartridge that I reload that they are available for. But that's another topic.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by pete53

SSSHHHHHH....

None of my dies know that its been proven that they are not accurate with neck sizing..

I'm hoping to keep them in the dark...

they don't know they are not suppose to work just fine..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Don't pay any attention to Pete...on another thread he said you could blow up your rifle by neck sizing.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Don't use neck size dies. Neck size new cases with the FL die till they will no longer chamber. Then re-adjust the FL die to move the shoulder back just enough to allow the case to chamber without rubbing anywhere. Dies locked in there and used only in that rifle. Much as I've never used neck dies, can someone tell me how they can work without bumping the shoulder every few rounds? Or are the made to automatically bump the shoulder?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The brass chambers and doesn’t need to be FL sized. Just size the neck, and you’re in business. Eventually you have to FL size, because the shoulder and body expanded and has a difficult time chambering or won’t chamber. On most factory rifles no matter how you size the brass it won’t matter, accuracy is the same, no matter what you do to a load. What matters is a better built rifle you are loading for. For consistency a better built rifle is key and then a tweaked loads matter. From a completely FL sized case to be needed, FL’ing sizing again is decreased case life, overworked brass. It’s best to bump back the shoulder with a body die that is just for sizing the body and shoulder, enough to chamber and neck size in separate step with a neck die. I use a Lee collet neck die.

Last edited by anothergun; 08/16/23.
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I bought a Redding Neck Sizer set in 6mm a couple years ago, as that was all I could find and I needed to get some loads done quickly for my Son in Law's 788.

I found 100 pcs of Prvi 7x57 brass and got the job done well.

Then this year, I bought a 722 in 244, and found 150 pcs of 6.5x57 Prvi brass at Midway for a good price.

Ought to work? Right?...........Nope it did not.

I sized all of the brass with the neck die, to find it would not fit in the chamber of either rifle.

I got lucky, Midway had a set of RCBS FL dies available. I ran the brass through the RCBS dies, and then found the necks had been over worked. I could not seat a flat base bullet without collapsing the shoulder.

So I fired up the propane torch and annealed 150 pcs of brand new brass.

As I shoot these loads up, I will keep track of which rifle they were fired in and resize them in the neck die.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
This works for me. Bump the shoulder back .001 to .002 with Redding body die; neck size with Lee Collet Die. Check a good sample (10%) in rifle and be damn sure to fire only in that rifle.

Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning will take care of itself.
Coach Bryant.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SlickLizard
This works for me. Bump the shoulder back .001 to .002 with Redding body die; neck size with Lee Collet Die. Check a good sample (10%) in rifle and be damn sure to fire only in that rifle.

Yessir. I follow this procedure for the 6.5CM, PRC, and 7mm08. I too use the Redding body die to bump shoulders, with rifle specific brass, about every 5-6 firings is necessary.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A 6.5x57 parent case is the 8x57, not the 7x57.The 6mm/244 parent case is the 257 Roberts which in turn came from the 7x57. The 8x57 and 7x57 are different like a 270 and a 30-06. I picked up a new 6.5x57 barrel and researched that cartridge. Because of the difficulty in finding dies and brass at the time, I had the Greydog rechamber to 6.5x55 when he built the rifle.

The neck sizing die is in a 308Norma set. I had a P-17 Eddystone with headspace questions shall we say. So I had Greydog rechamber to 308Norma. With the custom chambering, tight bore and Enfield rifling, it's very accurate.

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Neck sizing is not all it's cracked up to be.

FL sizers for the win.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

652 members (16gage, 007FJ, 16Racing, 12344mag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 79 invisible), 3,059 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,353
Posts18,487,900
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.