Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
GeneB Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
This is my most recently acquired watch fob, I took a chance on it being original just from a couple poor pictures. I found it has a maker's mark, which did not show in the pictures, with that I think it is original nickel plating, most of these don't have a maker's mark. I couldn't tell what it was plated with from the pictures. It didn't have any black toning so I thought it probably wasn't silver. I took it to a local coin shop and had them scan it with their metal analyzer gun and it is nickel plated. I also had them check a couple of the small Savage pistol watch fobs, they are silver plated. On all tested there was enough wear that the underlying metal also showed up in the scan so the purity of the plating metal couldn't be determined.
[Linked Image]
The lettering at the bottom is doubled showing strongest on the top of the middle letters in 'SAVAGE'.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
discussion/S. D. Childs & Co. Chicago Schubal Davis Childs started the company in 1837 and it was later run by his son, S.D. Childs, Jr., who for some unknow reason started to go by just his initials.....

I had the coin shop check three others for me a few years ago, one was bronze gilded (top left) and the two engraved ones are low carat gold plate. This shows the base variations I know of, there are engraved examples of the left facing version with SAVAGE in the headdress known, including one gold plated. The 'SAVAGE RIFLES' and 'Panama Pacific Exposition' ones seem to be the most common.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
There is an example of the left facing version with SAVAGE in the headdress pictured in Bailey Brower's book on Savage pistols that looks like it's nickel or silver, page 241.

The bronzed one, upper left, is stamped 'Schwaab S&S Co. Milwaukee' (WI), as is the one that is not a Savage but of a similar design, lower right, the rest don't have maker's marks, I did a post on those a few years ago - topics/11006218
Schwaab Stamp & Seal Co. history They did the tokens for the 1904 World's Fair and Savage Arms may have found out about them there. They were the largest maker of watch fobs around that time.

Here's a comparison of the Schwaab, the S. D. Childs and an unmarked one, at first glance they look identical, as if they were made form the same die, but there are small differences in Schwaab marked one. The other two aren't exactly the same, but that might just be due to die wear and the slight doubling on the S. D. Childs one.
[Linked Image]
Unfortunately, now when using this site for hosting pictures, they not only have a maximum size limitation but recently started reducing that resolution by a lot when the images upload, the limit is 2Meg. The above picture was done on a scanner at 600 dpi and resized down to just under the maximum at 1.9Meg and 4594x1618 pixels, after upload it ended up at 798x281 pixels - that's reduced almost 6 times, I can't find any option to not have this happen. They didn't do this before, look at pictures in the older posts, they fill the screen. I will soon be going to a different hosting service, at least when detail is required. It's very disappointing to see how poor these posted images are compared to how sharp the detail was starting out. There is enough detail to show the wear on the nickeled one that makes the Native American look like a little kid who was given a chocolate ice cream cone on a hot day.

(If anyone wants coin holders get crown size, ones for US silver dollars are too small. I did have to trim one out a little to clear the feathers of the fob with the round strap hole)

ADDED - another member here acquired the plated fob that was pictured in Bailey Brower's book and sent me pictures, they are also added in a new post farther down.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by GeneB; 08/16/23. Reason: added new pictures

Gene
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Yet another interesting rabbit hole...

"Every day above ground is a good day."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cool!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Very nice!

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Nice info! Thanks Gene.

Bruce
IC B2

GeneB Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Another member here acquired the plated fob that was pictured in Bailey Brower's book and sent me pictures, they are also edited in on the end of the first post.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Gene
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Very interesting Gene, TY for sharing

GeneB Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A couple more.

From old, not so good pictures from it's previous owner -
[Linked Image]
If someone else has it now I would appreciate better pictures.

Here's one from an old thread that was posted by TomA, it looks to have the same writing, can anyone make out what it says?
[Linked Image from i722.photobucket.com]
Link to the old thread - topics/11006218
Another related thread - topics/16526429/fobs-stamps

Gene
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L-R SAEAA

Purely a guess??
Savage Arms EAA (Initials?)
The E looks dominants so could be last name?

Gotta start somewhere.
smile

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Schwaab S&S - Schwaab Stamp & Seal, In 1881, the Northwestern Stamp Company is founded in Milwaukee by Andrew Schwaab. A major portion of Schwaab's early business was in the metal engraving area, where highly skilled engravers fashioned unique badges of all kinds.

S.D. Childs & Co. - Schubal Davis Childs, The business was started in 1837 by Schubal Davis Childs in Chicago
and continued by his son S.D. Childs, Jr. The firm remained in business well into the twentieth century.

The varieties in these examples is interesting.
Updating/changing the master stamp(s) must have been fairly straight forward.

I can't wait until the pistol fob thread... smile

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by FUG1899
Have you ever seen the stamps or plates to make the fobs??
I have.. grin

Want me to post up a pic, if I can find one? I think I took one.

GeneB Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
They're in an old post that I put a link to above - look at the bottom of my last post, it's the bottom link.

Gene
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Aha.. I did take pictures.

[Linked Image from savagefest.net]

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by FUG1899
Have you ever seen the stamps or plates to make the fobs??

I wondered about those.

B
B
Very interesting; guess I need to add something else to my hunt.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1OntarioJim, 204guy, 69 invisible), 2,590 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,813
Posts18,477,617
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.