Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
Leica, Meopta, Kowa....Vortex Optics are junk, no matter what level.

You're wrong there, Kowa Prominar spotters are arguably as good as any of them. On Max power i would give the nod to the Zeiss Harpy but it's not very user friendly compared to the Swaro or Kowa. Between Swarovski and Kowa is strictly personal preference. Equally as good as each other.
Saying the brand is junk is very short-sighted at least.

I think he meant vortex was junk.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I agree on the Pentax DCF SP 8x42 being extraordinary. I have the SP in 8x32, 8x43, 10x43 and 15x55 along with the DCF ED in 10x43 and the WP in 8x42. All are good but the little 8x32 is just different - it hits an undefinable optical sweet spot.

I have the HD Cabelas version of the Meopta Meostar and they are very good but come up shy of the Pentax.

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
I remember about 12ish years ago members on long-range-hunting praising the Pentax 8x43. Some people went and checked them out - bought them - compared them to their high-end bino - then sold their 'big three' bino.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never looked through kowa glass. At what price point do they begin to shine? I see on dougs site they range quite a bit. Thanks

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Genesis/Prominar line

IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Before I purchased my Leica Geovids, I had been using a pair of Minox HG that I bought from Doug many years ago.....excellent glass for it's category.

Frog----OUT!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
My Minox HG 10x52s are good glass... but when I fell and broke my leg on an elk hunt I landed on them, bent the twist out eyecups bad, broke one strap ear off and they won't hold open, just close up if not held with two hands. I used pliers and bent the eyecups back to be able to twist them in and out, but it's a pain with no strap and holding them an exact tension and both hands. Replaced them with Leica 10x50 ultravids.

I will say if you are hand holding binos, 8s, 10s... you will not see much of a difference from something like a Minox HG, Razor, maybe a Tract from an alpha. Put them on a tripod and it's a discernable difference. Usually that's the higher magnification 12s and up. But even with the lower magnification unsteadiness takes away something in all glass.

Kent

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by krp
The Zeiss Terra binos are crap, a bad move for Zeiss... Reminds me of their bomb the 15x45, those were terrible.

Kent

Zeiss has tried the "budget/high-volume" at least one other time with the Diafun in the mid-late 90's. I was in college and working at a gun shop at the time and when that 1st set arrived I was elated and tore into the box to check them out. Good lord they were awful, the outer ~25%-33% was unusable. My new/closeout Redfield Aurora at the time whooped those Diafun abominations.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by krp
My Minox HG 10x52s are good glass... but when I fell and broke my leg on an elk hunt I landed on them, bent the twist out eyecups bad, broke one strap ear off and they won't hold open, just close up if not held with two hands. I used pliers and bent the eyecups back to be able to twist them in and out, but it's a pain with no strap and holding them an exact tension and both hands. Replaced them with Leica 10x50 ultravids.

I will say if you are hand holding binos, 8s, 10s... you will not see much of a difference from something like a Minox HG, Razor, maybe a Tract from an alpha. Put them on a tripod and it's a discernable difference. Usually that's the higher magnification 12s and up. But even with the lower magnification unsteadiness takes away something in all glass.

Kent

I had a pair of Minox 8.5x52's that were nice. I remember they seemed very light for their size...but they were just bulkier than I wanted to carry.

Very true on hand held, at least for me. For much of how I use a bino, user characteristics of the bino ranks right there with glass. It plays into why I moved from 8x to 7x42's and 6.5x32's with a larger/deeper depth of focus and more eye relief for use with glasses. If I'm set and have a solid rest I can adjust to the characteristics of what I'm using. If I'm standing or at an odd angle, eye relief, depth of focus, and exit pupil that allow easier use become important. Still, it's nice to have good glass to go along with good "specs" for how it will be used.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by krp
The Zeiss Terra binos are crap, a bad move for Zeiss...

They are not THAT bad, but they are exactly worth their price point when they were on deep-discounted sale.
Not "alpha" but useable.

Beats squinting.

IC B3

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Any bino is better than no bino, even a Tasco.

I just don't see the value of Zeiss dropping down into the Anthon, Monarch, Diamondback, Leupold market... except people seeing a Zeiss for 399 and jumping on it.

They really aren't very good and a huge disappointment when you think you are getting a Zeiss, with the others you know what to expect.

It dilutes their entire product line and about knocks them out of the Top 3 status, definitely solidifies them at 3 at best.

Kent

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Go to the (home page) of this site.
Then go to the (archives) section.
Then look for an old article entitled ( big eyes ).
Look at the date, then read it.

Based upon that article, i bought a set of the 15x58 Minux from Doug on a close out price of $500.
They still make them in 15x56.
We did the same test using Leica, Swaro, and the Minux.
The guy owning the Swaros thought his were a bit better, but admitted that he would have bought the Minux due to the major cost difference.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
I think in order to be in 4th the company has to make their own product. Not just hand it made in Japan and also their name on it

You mean like a quite a few Zeiss optics in the past 20 years?

Meopta has also made optics for more than one of The Big Three.
Snarky remark. You should know Zeiss top of the line binoculars are made by Zeiss themselves.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I think in order to be in 4th the company has to make their own product. Not just hand it made in Japan and also their name on it

You mean like a quite a few Zeiss optics in the past 20 years?

Meopta has also made optics for more than one of The Big Three.
Snarky remark. You should know Zeiss top of the line binoculars are made by Zeiss themselves.
Snarky? Any company you do exactly the same thing to? Over and over again?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
My main glass grab is a 8X42 Swarovski

But on the kitchen window sill in back, I have an old set of 7X50 Minolta's. I like them a lot too. Can't remember what I paid for them as a teenager.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
Leica, Meopta, Kowa....Vortex Optics are junk, no matter what level.

You're wrong there, Kowa Prominar spotters are arguably as good as any of them. On Max power i would give the nod to the Zeiss Harpy but it's not very user friendly compared to the Swaro or Kowa. Between Swarovski and Kowa is strictly personal preference. Equally as good as each other.
Saying the brand is junk is very short-sighted at least.

I think he meant vortex was junk.

Yes, I was only speaking of Vortex of which I've owned many models of all genres.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Ok

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Steiner eye relief is excellent

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I miss my MINOX 8x43 APG’s, bought Swarovski 10x42 Pures and sold them last week. COntinue to look for another pair of MINOX.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Unless you wish to spend the rest of your life upgrading each time a new model appears you would do well to pick the level of technology you think will comfortably last you out.
I do not have enough coin or inclination for the former so settled on a pair of Zeiss 8x32 Victory FL, should they fail or I need a second set for some obscure reason I shall immediately purchase a pair of Kowa binoculars.

Current set.
[Linked Image]

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (35, Akhutr, 10gaugemag, akrange, 16 invisible), 1,641 guests, and 852 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,939
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.