Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I've got a little problem...

I'm building two new Savage based customs with the new hinged floor-plate magazine and their new bolt-release system, but with the bolt-release system being so new no one is inletting stocks for it yet. I can get a factory hardwood stock to send out as a pattern for the inletting, but need to find someone who's up to the task.

The stock pattern I want to go with is similar to an old Weatherby pattern, and what was used on the Savage 110P and 110PEL models in the mid to late 1960's (pic's below).

Unfortunately just having my PEL stock duplicated without the mag well and bottom metal inlet won't work. Seems when Savage changed the Model 110's in 1966 and implemented Bob Greenleaf's new bolt and trigger designs, they also changed the depth of the stocks in the action area. Being my PEL is pre-1966, it's approximately 1/8" shallower and if you try to set a newer barreled action in it the trigger will bottom out on the trigger guard.

So all that said, does anyone know an outfit who would be willing and capable of doing these stocks for me? Not looking for anything too fancy, just nice medium grade walnut with a contrasting grip cap and forend tip. I have a local guy to do the checkering and finishing, so that's not an issue.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

As long as there's still lead in the air, there's still hope!

GB1

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know a few guy's that duplicate stocks. Do you have one of these old PEL stocks you can sacrifice? It shouldn't be any problem to modify the PEL stock to fit the new action, but you will destroy the original stock. You can add or remove material and epoxy things on that don't belong. It doesn't have to look pretty, just be reasonably straight.

Look at "custom Husky" thread, the stock on the Husky was originally for a BRNO 21H Mauser. The pattern was modified with a lot of 2 part epoxy and sand paper.

I'm not a stock maker, but my dad is a TV repairman and has a killer set of tools. grin

Terry

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Nope, not sacrificing my PEL stock as the gun's too rare. Less than 900 PEL's were made and less than 10% (90) of those were left-hand.

Took me 8 years to find this one, and I've only ever seen one other lefty.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Hey Jim. I can paint it for ya. How many colors do you want?
You can get all that wood covered up with something real "circus" looking..... grin
Toot

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Try Robinson's Custom Guns - near Waynesburg,Pa - they do alot of custom wood stocks.

www.robinsoncustomguns.com

Last edited by 300MAG; 12/14/07.
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Don't really have a clue but seems that I read somewhere that duplicaters can build up an original stock with cardboard so as to leave the new one a bit oversized. Would that work for you?

Just a thouhgt.
Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dave284
Don't really have a clue but seems that I read somewhere that duplicaters can build up an original stock with cardboard so as to leave the new one a bit oversized. Would that work for you?

Just a thouhgt.
Dave.

The thing about runing an original stock through a duplicator is it puts a lot of wear on the original running the tracer all over it. I didn't realize the PEL stocks were so hard to come by when I made my first suggestion.

With out being able to use the original all I can suggest is to find a pattern that you like almost as much as the PEL or break out the check book and be prepared for a serious beating.

Have you looked at Richards Microfit stocks? They carry quite a few roll over style stocks and seem to be reasonable.

Terry

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you want to wait 20 weeks for it. I just cancelled my order at Richards micro fit and bought it from someone elese because I've heard where you wait forever for Richards and when you get it you send it back and wait some more. Someone you might want to try is Mike Kokolus of Dushore Pa @ gunstockduplicating.com.

IF YOU ARE GOING TO ACT STUPID YOU BETTER BE TOUGH
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I seriously doubt kokolus is going to have anything for the New Savage action, muchless a rollover.

D
DSC Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Try Elk Ridge...http://www.reamerrentals.com/elkridge2.htm

I bought a Monte Carlo for a Win 70 and the action dropped in a perfect fit.

Davis Chase
IC B3

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Try Wenig Custom Gunstocks Inc. cool There on the internet. There phone # (606)547-3339 When a customer needed somthing diffrent I used them. I have put many on my owne guns. I will use them agin on my next project. grin

No matter how good a rifle looks if it shoots over 1 inch groups its ugly.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I checked with Elk Ridge and there not accepting any more stock orders at this time.

IF YOU ARE GOING TO ACT STUPID YOU BETTER BE TOUGH
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Ol' Mr. Furious aint much of a talker is he... Toot

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Sorry for the delay, been a little busy keeping my own forum in order and getting ready for the holidays.

Regarding a few of the stock makers recommended, all I can say is they must think they're brain surgeons or something for what they want to duplicate a stock. Most of the prices I was quoted ranged from $500 to $1,000 with no frills semi-fancy American Walnut. I can buy my own duplicator for a grand!

In the meantime, I did find someone with a newer 110P, but even though it had the newer style bold the belly of the stock was the same thickness as mine. So much for a possible easy solution.

As it is, I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I'm going to have to make up my own pattern using a factory hardwood stock. I was hoping to avoid this to save myself some time, but in the end at least I know it will work and be exactly what I want. Best part is once I have it done I can get it duplicated, 100% inlet & finish sanded locally for a mere $50 + the cost of the blank.

Needless to say I like that price a lot better.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Mr.Furious;

There is one more option.....Try Ed Shulin in Trinidad, CO. He was my stock making instructor in Trinidad and he still supplies my stocks and he knows (and can do) as much about stock work as anyone - best of all he is reasonable. His number is (719)846-2301.

Good Luck,
PennDog

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why would you expect someone to do it for less? Sounds like you are looking for custom work for less than replacement part prices.

You can't buy a stock duplicator for $1000. well, at least one that works. I know there is a guy on ebay that sells them. My statment still stands.

Best of luck to you. You're going to need it.
Terry

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by TC1
Why would you expect someone to do it for less? Sounds like you are looking for custom work for less than replacement part prices.

I can see paying $500-1,000 for a fully finished and checkered wood stock, but not for a partially inlet, unfinished and uncheckered one. That's just insane!

You can't buy a stock duplicator for $1000. well, at least one that works. I know there is a guy on ebay that sells them. My statment still stands.

Hmm...guess that used two spindle Terrco I've been eye-balling is a figment of my imagination then. And yes, I can get it for less than a grand.

Best of luck to you. You're going to need it.
Terry

Luck is for people who don't have the ambition to make things happen on their own. wink

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting, you try to help some people and all you get is curt responces. Maybe trying to live up to his handle? crazy

I can see paying $500-1,000 for a fully finished and checkered wood stock, but not for a partially inlet, unfinished and uncheckered one. That's just insane!

You sound like an expert.

Hmm...guess that used two spindle Terrco I've been eye-balling is a figment of my imagination then. And yes, I can get it for less than a grand.

No, the Terrco you've been looking at isn't a figment of your imagination, IT'S JUNK. After you destroy a few gun stock blanks with it you'll realize that. You seem to be the type that'll have to find that out for himself though.

A good used stock duplicator starts at about 3 times that much and goes up. The knowledge the machine operator brings with it is priceless.

Luck is for people who don't have the ambition to make things happen on their own.

You said a mouth full and it applies to you. I've built enough stocks to know.

Terry

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Hey.. How about those Detroit Pistons, Aint they somethin'??
Toot

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
grin

Merry Christmas!

Terry

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (7887mm08, 10gaugemag, 44mc, 35, 69sportfury, 6mmCreedmoor, 10 invisible), 1,512 guests, and 904 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,517
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.