Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
dave7mm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Just tried it for the first time tonight.
On the GT with 72 rounds down the tube.
Basically just followed instructions .
Used a Isso brush instead of a bronze brush.
Checked it with the bore scope after I patched it all out.
No issues . And it didn't take a lot of effort .
I like it.
dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You always cost me money….

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been using this for over a year now. Recommended to me by a Palma Team member I shoot with here in Phoenix, and he was right! I have always used a bronze brush, but an Iosso would be worth a look. I try to just clean to the point where carbon is left in the fire cracking, but nothing on the surface. The pictures I posted in your "barrel wear" thread were taken right after a Witches Brew scrubbing... surprised it isn't better known.

Just used it an hour ago.

[Linked Image]

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll add that the shipping cost is high enough I wished I had bought 2 bottles.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MikeS
I've been using this for over a year now. Recommended to me by a Palma Team member I shoot with here in Phoenix, and he was right! I have always used a bronze brush, but an Iosso would be worth a look. I try to just clean to the point where carbon is left in the fire cracking, but nothing on the surface. The pictures I posted in your "barrel wear" thread were taken right after a Witches Brew scrubbing... surprised it isn't better known.

Just used it an hour ago.

[Linked Image]
Did you use both solvents in the same session?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, I push through a few patches with the Patch Out to remove the looser carbon before the brushing with Witches Brew. The Witches Brew is a suspended fine abrasive as opposed to a solvent and needs to be shaken well before use. I have read on the internet that in includes Kroil, but it does not smell like that. Finish up with Alcohol or Acetone patches to remove any remnants.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Carbon is more so the problem for me than copper

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In my use, it seems to remove all of the carbon prior to the last streaks of copper. For my .308 I've settled on cleaning at 150 to 200 round intervals. I check with bore scope after 10 passes, usually another 5 to 10 passes and it's done. Fewer when barrel was fresh. This is a prone target rifle cleaning regimen, not benchrest, more than adequate for MOA at 1000 yards though.

A cheap Teslong borescope opened my eyes to how much fouling remained with brushless, solvent only cleaning at more frequent intervals.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Funny thing about bore cleaners, I've been using mostly Hoppe's #9 for a lot of years and just trust the stuff. Got some other super cleaner stuff turning a rifle over the cast bullet's and it definately got out the copper. problem was I wouldn't have known it if I didn't switch to a nylon brush at some point, cleaner was eating the wire brush! Can't remember the name of the stuff! I've got a small jar of Outer's in the reloading room and have tried it on and off over the years. It seem's to work fine but Hoppe's smells better! I don't think that for other than switching over to cast bullet's a rifle barrel needs to be to clean. Then again I'm not sure it has to be switching to cast but I read it should be and that's where I went. On to clean, over the years I found that to get the best accuracy from my rifles, if I really cot them cleaned out, with jacketed bullet's I had to fire a couple fouling shots to get the rifle going right again. Quit over cleaning and fouling shot's went away!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I don't think this is a new product, I have bought this from Darrell many times over the years

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by boatanchor
I don't think this is a new product, I have bought this from Darrell many times over the years

Agreed

dave7mm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Probably not.
But it's the first I've heard of it.
Ive been using Isso paste.
And I had switched over to Thorough clean and Thorough flush.
Like them and have found it to pretty on carbon.
The Brew stuff seems to work faster.
Just my impression so far.
dave

[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Darrel is relocating from Powers, OR to just east of Billings, MT.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
BoreTech is the easy button to me, bore cleaner, copper solvent as well as their proof positive (non brass) rods, brushes and jags. No false blue coming from those.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by dave7mm
Probably not.
But it's the first I've heard of it.
Ive been using Isso paste.
And I had switched over to Thorough clean and Thorough flush.
Like them and have found it to pretty on carbon.
The Brew stuff seems to work faster.
Just my impression so far.
dave

Thought I'd post Frank Green's (of Bartlein barrels) thoughts on ThorroClean. It opened my eyes as I had thought about trying it:

https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...-cleaning-and-abrasive-cleaners.7183723/

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Interesting... I think most any product can be abused in its application. I have not noticed any rounding of the sharp edges in my barrel including the very start of the leade. Seems I have read of other barrel barrel makers with concerns that the abrasives in Iosso etc. are actually too fine and polish the surface smoother than the original lapping compound. I do think my process has kept my barrel shooting to its potential for the 2000 or so shots since I started using Withes Brew, 3350 rounds total on barrel.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I strongly caution people about using any abrasive containing liquid for routine cleaning.

Not going to go into all the details but having seen two excellent BR level barrels from two mfgs killed by doing this.....it's real. Another friend is struggling with three barrels that I suspect have been thrashed by this process.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
dave7mm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Boretech eliminator is like 90% water.
Frank Green
In my mind that's where pitting comes from.
Pitting isn't comming from an abrasive....

I've had my issues with bronze brushes.
That's why I went to the Isso blue nylon brush.
I haven't seen anything I find questionable with the Isso brush.
My latest Hawk Hill is shooting very well on thorough flush thorough clean. And I'm not seeing anything so far. That I'm not happy with..
The witches Brew stuff is new and I'll be looking closely to see if it's giving me any issues.....
Dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

When I was using PacNor for my barrels it was common to get a sample bottle

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I’ve been using this stuff since 2008. When you absolutely have to have it clean right now with the least amount of effort this is your bore cleaner. I still use bronze brushes though. If the barrels really dirty, it may wear the brush out pretty quick I just always feel better about using it than plastic brushes. Had a job with access to a medical grade scope and tried everything under the sun, and nothing cleans it down to the bare steel faster than this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

105 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 2ndwind, 10Glocks, 18 invisible), 1,625 guests, and 977 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,242
Posts18,485,916
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.