Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
As I said before, Mike and I did not get along. I was acquainted with Victor French, "Mr. Edwards." He was a pleasant person. I always wished he'd been cast in one of my Gunsmoke episodes as the head badass but alas, that never happened.

Mike had, after Bonanza, bought the rights to all the Little House books. He owned the show, along with Paramount Pictures, and was the Executive Producer. He was the bossman. The producer was John Hawkins, with whom I got along well. John was an excellent storyteller in his own right. I did not write for the show after the first season, so do not know if they ever shot a story in "the big woods."

That was my "adventure" on Little House on the Prairie.

L.W.

I liked some of the episodes with hunting in them. Why did Charles tote a muzzle loader on the show? I don't think I ever saw an episode with him toting a lever action.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I didn't watch until it got to re-runs. Which is true of most shows that I tend to watch. But I've probably seen every episode by now. Like the show a lot.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Have you read the book series? If not, they are much better than the show. My favorite is Farmer Boy, followed by Little House in the Big Woods, where the family could have had a good life and avoided much misery had it not been for Pa's selfish need to drag them all over the country.

Yes. When I was in fifth grade our teacher read to the class, 30 minutes a day, Little House on the Prairie. Laura had a great description of how her dad melted lead over the fire in the cabin and made bullets, and how he loaded and fired his muzzleloader.
I never had fired a gun but was fascinated by muzzleloaders. I wrote down every detail because I knew I would get a muzzleloader some day.

Thank you Laura Ingalls Wilder

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by achadwick
Those goodnight scenes were on a different show, called The Waltons,IIRC.

He is playing a prank on you.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
sakoluvr[/quote]
I liked some of the episodes with hunting in them. Why did Charles tote a muzzle loader on the show? I don't think I ever saw an episode with him toting a lever action.[/quote]

The movie Sergeant York is set in the Tennessee mountains starting in 1914. Fascinating to me because I live 100 miles away in the North Carolina mountains. In that movie, which I believe to be historically accurate, they show all the hillbillies shooting muzzleloader Tennessee Long Rifles.

Winchesters had been around for 40 years. Mausers were used to good effect against American troops in 1898 in Cuba, but in the back woods the boys still shot muzzleloaders.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
it seems to me that I saw Winchester 94s being used on Little House.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Nellie was Hawt!!! When she got older.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jericho
it seems to me that I saw Winchester 94s being used on Little House.

Maybe so, but I never saw Charles with one.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I remember a hunting episode where a kid didn't want to hunt or something but anyway Mr Edwards gets attacked by a bear.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 19352012
I remember a hunting episode where a kid didn't want to hunt or something but anyway Mr Edwards gets attacked by a bear.

Yup, that was his son. Mr Edwards bought him the rifle for his birthday.

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Originally Posted by 19352012

Yup, that was his son. Mr Edwards bought him the rifle for his birthday.

Saw that one recently. Edwards was recently married and was trying to get his two step sons to warm up to him. The younger one was enthusiastic but the older one was a snowflake who was only interested in books. He hated guns and hunting. He finally agreed to go camping/hunting and stood there watching while Edwards got mauled. Edwards was carrying a rabbit eared shotgun.

Another episode Edwards was going out of town to buy a brand new Winchester 1873 for like $15.

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
As I said before, Mike and I did not get along. I was acquainted with Victor French, "Mr. Edwards." He was a pleasant person. I always wished he'd been cast in one of my Gunsmoke episodes as the head badass but alas, that never happened.

Mike had, after Bonanza, bought the rights to all the Little House books. He owned the show, along with Paramount Pictures, and was the Executive Producer. He was the bossman. The producer was John Hawkins, with whom I got along well. John was an excellent storyteller in his own right. I did not write for the show after the first season, so do not know if they ever shot a story in "the big woods."

That was my "adventure" on Little House on the Prairie.

L.W.
Thats cool LW.

I recall French being in Gunsmoke.
I think he played a badass Too!

I do know Landon was one of those actors who didn't take kindly to former pro athletes joining their ranks. Merlin Olson described him as such.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HawkI
Thats cool LW.

I recall French being in Gunsmoke.
I think he played a badass Too! ...

Yes, Victor French was in several Gunsmoke episodes, but not in any of mine.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I read these books to my children at bedtime. I believe all Americans who trace their roots back to the settlers should do so.

The last book in this series is less of a children's book, or perhaps it is intended for teens about to enter young adulthood who need to understand the harsher realities of life. The First 4 Years tells the story of the early years of Laura's marriage to Almanzo and their life homesteading a farm. Those who read the children's books know Almanzo risked his life to save the seed wheat for his homestead. Their first harvest was almost ready when a hail storm destroyed the crop. Afterward Almanzo gathered the hailstones and told Laura, "Now we must make ice cream." I know many farmers who can't read those words to their children without tears in their eyes. They've all been there. They know what it means to lose a crop.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
My wife thinks Victor France should have Pa Ingalls.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
For all the moves they made, Pa never dug an outhouse. laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by renegade50
Nellie was Hawt!!! When she got older.

You’re a perv.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jericho
I also remember an episode when the Ingalls lost a baby
That happened in real life, too, twice. The 1st time was when Laura's baby brother died. Years later Laura and Almanzo lost a son, too. It was all too common back then.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wabigoon
For all the moves they made, Pa never dug an outhouse. laugh
He did. It was an episode when they were keeping 2 boys, some kind of relatives if I remember right, who were always pulling practical jokes. One night Pa went to the outhouse in the dark and sat down on a rat trap.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I can relate, as my great great grandfather David Lewis homesteaded in Mina South Dakota in 1881. He got a quarter section, as did his son James Harry Lewis.
I went out there to see the old homestead in 2001, all that was left was the well. Sixty feet deep and six feet wide, and brick lined.

My dad said that when he was a kid that well was the refrigerator. They would lower down a bucket with butter or cream and it would keep for a while in the cool well water. When my dad was six years old he hauled many buckets of water out of that well.

I can imagine David Lewis and James Harry digging that well by hand.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1234, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 55 invisible), 1,918 guests, and 1,095 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,901
Posts18,498,091
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.