Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Hi Folks
Reloaded some ammo based on Brian Pearce pet loads article in Hand loader Magazine. Using 85 grain xtp bullet , 3.6 gr & 4.0 gr of AA2 & COL from article.
Also loaded 100 gr xtp at 5.5 gr and 6 gr of true blue. Took those along with Georgia Arms 85 gr factory loads to the range.
Maiden voyage for Charter Arms professional revolver with 3" barrel. All went well with Factory loads and AA2 loads.
After inspection I noticed True Blue loads seemed to have deeper primer strikes with one pierced primer on 5.5 grain load.
According to Brian's article 5.5 grains is a mid level load. Plenty to think about !!
Will begin by reducing that load to 5.2 grains and then try some other primers on both loads.
Any constructive input would be appreciated smile

Last edited by Goomba777; 08/16/23.
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
First things I'd look at would be to ensure the brass is under max length and if the chamber throats are large enough to pass the XTP's with no more than moderate thumb pressure. If it takes a hammer and a dowel they're too tight.

S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
What brand of primers? I get pierced primers in all 3 of my 32mags when using Remington 1 1/2’s. Funny thing is the lot of primers have no issues in my 9mm loads fired in various pistols, only my 32mag loads.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Using Aguila SPP ( that was only available at the time ) Thinking of trying CCI and maybe Magnum or Small Rifle Primers.
Will wait until others chime in before deciding .Primers and powder reduction will be my first step .
Have seen your comment elsewhere as a recurring thought. " Only in my 32's "

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bryan P seems to usually be "about right or a little stout" on recommended loads, although typos can slip through the new editor's filter easier than they used to.

I looked in the Western Powder reloading manual (8.0 edition, available online) for confirmation of BP's True Blue load and rediscovered why I don't have True Blue in inventory or in my .32 load notebook. That's because they don't have ANY loads for the .32 H & R Magnum.

Maybe Hodgdon can be a double check for Ramshot in the near future, but not today. They have .32 H & R loads, but do not list any of the Ramshot powders.

“You must endeavour to enjoy the pleasure of doing good. That is all that makes life valuable.”
Robert E. Lee, in a letter to his invalid wife.
IC B2

G
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Thanks guys . Apparently not alot of 32 mag reloaders checking in . Yes doc , checked every place I could think of for loads.
Actually chose True Blue to load my Henry BBS in H&R and maybe 327 someday ( Ahem!! Starline ). Thought I'd test some H&R loads in my handgun to
set some baselines. Have CCI small pistol and small rifle primers on the way to experiment.
Ha ! Primers just arrived .
Not to change the subject but must commend Republic Ammunition in Lima, OH .
I've ordered from them in the past. Primers on sale 6.5 cents ea.. Placed order late Thursday evening. Shipped
Friday morning and arrived today ( Sat ). Shipping prices comparable to major players ( Precision Reloading ,Powder valley etc. )
Guess I can get to work again smile
Will probably go to the range next week to do some tests. Not sure I'll be able to use Brian's 7 grain load in my rifle unless I
see positive results.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I bought a Ruger Super Single Six 32 Mag a couple of weeks ago and have loaded some ammo but haven’t fired it yet due to the temps outside.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
G
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Sounds like your down in the south . We are due to get your heat during the next week up north.
Rugers are nice in 32 cal . Someday I'd like a SA/DA with adjustable sights . SP101 in 32 H&R or GP100 in327 works too.
Not sure when we'll see those in production again.My charter arms pro is my first revolver, purchased for home defense .
No experience with single action but could probably be persuaded.
What are you loading for yours ?

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
We’re shooting for a record high Wed and Thurs of about 105 with a heat index probably 10 degrees higher. 🥵

I wanted to start off with light target loads until I get a feel for the cartridge but so far I’ve loaded Winchester 231 with a 94 Meister Cast RN FP and Lapua’s wadcutter. Then some with CFE Pistol and Speer’s 100 gr Gold Dot.

This revolver is like brand new and I found it in Cabelas gun library for used guns. I had a bunch of Cabelas “points” and some gift cards so it was almost “free”.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
G
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Sounds like a good variety of loads to start you out . Congrats on your new single six . Hope you enjoy it smile

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
You might check the shape and protrusion of your firing pin, it’s fit in the hole it passes through as well. If the firing pin is too sharp or fits sloppily on the bushing it can give you trouble such as you describe as pressures rise.

I load 95 and 100gr SWCs in my 32 mag, over either 5.5gr of AA5 or 6gr of PowerPistol. My revolver is an S&W K frame 16-4.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The M-16 is a great platform for the 32 H & R, with adjustable sights and enough heft to keep you steady on target. My notes favor the Meister 95s and whatever 100 gr L SWCs I have on the shelf. Years back there was an article by Ken Waters in his Pet Loads series that got my attention, esp. with regards to IMR 800X powder. You may want to look into some of the possibilities with other powders also (besides True Blue) and try some 112, 115 and 120 gr, even with gas checks, for something beyond the plinker loads that are so fun. The 32 Ruger SSM and the K frame S & W are good companions, well-behaved, soft-spoken and accurate in my experience. I know nothing about Charter Arms.

Ruptured primers somewhat of a mystery to me, but you have gotten some ideas to follow up.

“You must endeavour to enjoy the pleasure of doing good. That is all that makes life valuable.”
Robert E. Lee, in a letter to his invalid wife.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

435 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 54 invisible), 2,745 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,616
Posts18,473,958
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.