Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
That's a great shooting 7 BSA. I have racked my brain trying to think of another optic to put atop the Bob's Brownell. Even thought about putting dual dovetails on it, since I am always worried about the old windage mounts, but I check them and so far they've been pretty good and the optic is plenty serviceable for what I am going to be using it for.

I'd leave it just like Bob had it, until something fails. Hopefully that never happens. I miss talking to Bob. However, you know how he was. He would probably tell you to make it how you want it, shoot it and enjoy it. He was pretty proud of that rifle.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
That's a great shooting 7 BSA. I have racked my brain trying to think of another optic to put atop the Bob's Brownell. Even thought about putting dual dovetails on it, since I am always worried about the old windage mounts, but I check them and so far they've been pretty good and the optic is plenty serviceable for what I am going to be using it for.

I'd leave it just like Bob had it, until something fails. Hopefully that never happens. I miss talking to Bob. However, you know how he was. He would probably tell you to make it how you want it, shoot it and enjoy it. He was pretty proud of that rifle.
Yeah, we all miss Bob. Agree with your observations about him.

I enjoy reading old posts and threads where he chimed in.

It would be hard to use that rifle without thinking about him. And I’m sure he’d be pleased.

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

It would be hard to use that rifle without thinking about him. And I’m sure he’d be pleased.

DF

Here's a post from Bob. I know we all miss that guy!!

Originally Posted by BobinNH
Time for me to fess up.....I love the 30/06 and its now the only 30 cal I own.But for most of what I do the 270 is fine and I have always liked the somewhat flatter trajectory of the 270 and 7 mag....I don't see much difference in how they kill animals to be honest but do note that the 7 mag simply expands tough hunting bullets better as distances stretch out.

I gave up years ago figuring and worrying over which is best....I think as an open country cartridge the 7 mag trumps the other two....for more moderate distances either the 270 and 06 work great.Rather than worry about all this stuff, I have all three and use whatever as the mood and hunt conditions strike me.

So I cant really give advise because after 40 plus years with all three,I am happy to have them all.

Leaving for an elk hunt? I would take the mashburn....plains game in africa? 30/06.....deer anywhere from the east to Alberta I have done them all with a 270.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

DF

Here's a post from Bob. I know we all miss that guy!!

Originally Posted by BobinNH
Time for me to fess up.....I love the 30/06 and its now the only 30 cal I own.But for most of what I do the 270 is fine and I have always liked the somewhat flatter trajectory of the 270 and 7 mag....I don't see much difference in how they kill animals to be honest but do note that the 7 mag simply expands tough hunting bullets better as distances stretch out.

I gave up years ago figuring and worrying over which is best....I think as an open country cartridge the 7 mag trumps the other two....for more moderate distances either the 270 and 06 work great.Rather than worry about all this stuff, I have all three and use whatever as the mood and hunt conditions strike me.

So I cant really give advise because after 40 plus years with all three,I am happy to have them all.

Leaving for an elk hunt? I would take the mashburn....plains game in africa? 30/06.....deer anywhere from the east to Alberta I have done them all with a 270.

Classic stuff right there!

Semper Fi
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I have one too--the only 7mm rifle I've kept after starting to "downsize" my collection after owning and hunting with a couple dozen rifles from 7mm-08 to 7mm STW. The 7mm RM works fine on a wide range of big game, whether in North America or elsewhere--and you can also buy factory ammo just about everywhere in the world, where it's possible to buy ammo.

In fact, one of the African PHs I've hunted with uses one to cull Cape buffalo--and like many usually shoots them behind the shoulder, not in the head. But have also hunted with other PHs who've done the same thing with the .30-06 and .300 Winchester Magnum. They all work if you put the right bullet in the right place.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I have one too--the only 7mm rifle I've kept after starting to "downsize" my collection after owning and hunting with a couple dozen rifles from 7mm-08 to 7mm STW. The 7mm RM works fine on a wide range of big game, whether in North America or elsewhere--and you can also buy factory ammo just about everywhere in the world, where it's possible to buy ammo.

In fact, one of the African PHs I've hunted with uses one to cull Cape buffalo--and like many usually shoots them behind the shoulder, not in the head. But have also hunted with other PHs who've done the same thing with the .30-06 and .300 Winchester Magnum. They all work if you put the right bullet in the right place.
"RIGHT BULLET IN THE RIGHT PLACE". Can't say it better. Years ago I put a hunting buddy on probation due to gut shooting Whitetails !!

"not too grumpy"
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by oldwoody2
"RIGHT BULLET IN THE RIGHT PLACE". Can't say it better. Years ago I put a hunting buddy on probation due to gut shooting Whitetails !![/quote]

Yep!

Might also add that I've taken big game up to and including 6x6 bull elk with various 7mm magnums, along with the 7mm Remington including the 7mm Remington Short-Action Ultra Magnum (which is the same basic deal as the .280 Ackley Improved--which I've also used), the 7mm Weatherby Magnum, and the 7mm STW. They all worked--but have also taken a mature Alberta bull moose with the 7x57--which went 19 of my paces before falling. Aside from the 7x57, have probably used the 7mm SAUM more than any of the others, from South Texas to Nunavut Territory in northern Canada. They all did the job as long as I did my job....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I thought by now everbody on the internet had learned that:

"Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps."

Last edited by Mike_Dettorre; 08/16/23.

Internet analysis: 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact

Fools & fanatics are always so certain and wise people are always so questioning

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Mike_Dettorre
I thought by now everbody on the internet had learned that"

"Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps."
Yep, those critters are sophisticated...

grin

But, those hanging in the skinning shed are generally pretty quiet...

DF

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I guess four pages of testimonials here proves the 7mm Remington Magnum is also hanging in the skinning shed…

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I got another 7 Rem when Bob's son offered me his Brownell built 7 Rem. So far, other than the danged 10 twist part, it's a keeper.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Even plain old factory doesn't do too badly in it either..

Maybe not a tackdriver, it is good enough for me and anything I'll hunt with it.

Pure class like the original owner, don’t change a thing. Beautiful rifle!

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
10 twist will work well with most bullets. My Brux barreled 7RM is 8 twist, so it’ll shoot the heavies. You’ll do fine up to 160’s or should.

Mr. Brownell used a lot of Douglas barrels. I had a Brownell 7RM on a Champlin and Haskins action. It was a 10 twist and very accurate.

Agree on leaving it as is.

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
A lot depends on "conditions" on where you hunt. My 7mm RM is a synthetic-stocked Mauser M18 with a 1-9 twist, and since we live in the bottom of a valley at 4000 feet above sea level it groups some very long bullets well. In fact it shoots Berger 195-grain EOLs well under an inch at 70 degrees, and since I usually hunt at even higher elevations, up to 8000+ feet, the same load also works up there at "huntingG temperatures.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Where I hunt, I have no need for a 7mm Rem Mag...there is absolutely nothing it will do over my .280 Rem. That being said, I still wanted one, and currently working up a load with 150gr BTSPs.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Be interesting to shoot some big white tail deer and hogs at a few different ranges, with rifles of assorted chamberings... and then have observers try to figure out what they were shot with, hit/run/field dressed, not seein' the shot, say, from an adjacent blind.

GR

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Garandimal
Be interesting to shoot some big white tail deer and hogs at a few different ranges, with rifles of assorted chamberings... and then have observers try to figure out what they were shot with, hit/run/field dressed, not seein' the shot, say, from an adjacent blind.

GR

Sounds like a complete waste of time to me, but whatever floats your boat.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i have killed some very nice Whitetail bucks with my 257 Weatherby mag. at look distances with a 100 gr. bullet a 100gr. Nosler Partition none went farther than 30 yds, so i would say a Remington 7mm mag. with a 140 gr.-160 gr. Nosler Partition would worked just fine maybe better ? NO this cartridge still is a dang good cartridge and for the non hand loader maybe one of the better cartridges to use and find ammo for .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by JGRaider

GR

Agree.

No way to sort that out.

DF

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D

GR

I have been conducting this type of experiment myself, over the past 30 years. The 7mag is a neat cartridge that oftentimes delivered bang flop (flip!) results at the ranges presented in Eastern NC. But, I no long use it because of the massive amounts of meat damage. A mono would likely cure this, and that is what I will use if I ever get another one. But in my limited experience, the 270 Win and the .3o/o6 offer all of the magnum performance that I would ever need.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JGRaider

GR

Agree.

No way to sort that out.

DF

The closest I ever came to that was culling deer in an apple orchard. Back when I was 15,16 and 17 my dad made lumber for apple crates for a local orchard. As a young man I overheard they have a bunch of depred tags but couldn't ever get enough people to shoot em..

Well I was such a lad. I laid on top of stacks of apple crates, covered in sleeping bags. First used my 7 Rem with 140 Partitions over a full load of H870. Worked pretty slick, some deer flopped at the shot, some ran a bit. Well, I was a kid and had a 22-250 with a 52 grain Speer HP load over a load of H380.. I shot alot of deer with that and they never moved. I would say over those 3 years, I had about 70+ deer to my credit. So if I had to make a call back then, I'd have said the 22-250 was better.. I know a bullet swap in either one could've changed my perspective on what was better. I sometimes wished I had that same opportunity now to do it. But I don't have much inclination of sitting and freezing to kill deer without horns grin

Semper Fi
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Some valid , some invalid info here for my situation.
I live on the West slope of the Rockies, I hunt horseback and I find any repeating rifle with a 24" tube...just a little too long for my needs.
My 25/06 stays home, the .270 or 30/06 goes up the mountain for that reason.
I remember Warren Page speaking of this" he was damn sure not going to do any pole vaulting on his hunts"
His Mashburn short tubed 7, must of been a tad loud to use.
Warren had the advantage of of eternal deafness on his side though

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

460 members (10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 10gaugemag, 21, 01Foreman400, 40 invisible), 2,316 guests, and 1,086 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,509
Posts18,490,704
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.