Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I was wondering this as I measured the necks of a small bin of 270 range brass. Lots of time to think. I'm using a 1/10 tubing mic. If it's over a thou ,it gets tossed . I'm getting > 12 and < 15 . I finished my coffee, I better get back to work.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
I was wondering this as I measured the necks of a small bin of 270 range brass. Lots of time to think. I'm using a 1/10 tubing mic. If it's over a thou ,it gets tossed . I'm getting > 12 and < 15 . I finished my coffee, I better get back to work.

Forgive me for being slow on the uptake, but please help me decipher your comments.

The "over a thou" part: Does this mean if a particular neck varies in thickness by more than a thou when you check several places, than it's tossed?

Second part: Does this mean among the various types of brass you have to measure you're seeing wall thicknesses between .012" and .015"?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yes and Yes. I have noticed different brands vary by about a thou, but they are all in that range.Being that .012 and .015 are the thinnest and thickest, but most are closer. The brass is going to be 6.5-06 .

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
What's the neck section diameter of the reamer you'll be using?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Your question triggered some mic work. I see using 270 is going to be a bit more work than expected. I thought something might be involved and picked up a .2-1.2 inside mic as well as a Forster .2665 reamer . I got the power attachment ( by accident) so I guess I can adapt it for use on the mill. This is getting down right fun.

Last edited by downwindtracker2; 08/18/23.

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'd size the brass, expand the necks on a mandrel and turn excess material off the outside.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by mathman
I'd size the brass, expand the necks on a mandrel and turn excess material off the outside.

^ VERY GOD ANSWER ^ > so your answer about brass brands yes there is a difference .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
No it doesn't. Depends on the platform you shoot it from. I knew a guy who said no matter what he feeds his Sako's it's crazy accurate. I get better accuracy with OAL changes and powder that's suited for a particular cartridge and bullet combinations. Some may disagree, but that's what I experience. I tried to take advice with different loading techniques and the one that stood out the most is neck tension and powder/cartridge/bullet combinations. Brass isn't as critical as some may think.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by anothergun
No it doesn't. Depends on the platform you shoot it from. I knew a guy who said no matter what he feeds his Sako's it's crazy accurate. I get better accuracy with OAL changes and powder that's suited for a particular cartridge and bullet combinations. Some may disagree, but that's what I experience. I tried to take advice with different loading techniques and the one that stood out the most is neck tension and powder/cartridge/bullet combinations. Brass isn't as critical as some may think.

Oops, good answer but you may upset the masses. 👍

Swifty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My understanding from the OP is that he is necking down .270 brass to form 6.5-06. There could easily be neck clearance issues depending on the neck thickness of the .270 case and the neck diameter of the 6.5-06 reamer. Mathman' suggestion is a good one.

I'd have to confirm, but from memory I turn down my 6.5-06 brass to a .291 neck OD. The chamber neck is about .295.

Last edited by MikeS; 08/18/23.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by MikeS
My understanding from the OP is that he is necking down .270 brass to form 6.5-06. There could easily be neck clearance issues depending on the neck thickness of the .270 case and the neck diameter of the 6.5-06 reamer. Mathman' suggestion is a good one.

Neck down from a larger caliber to a smaller one reaming is in order. Neck turning is for chamber clearance with custom barrels.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wrong

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Brass brands matter greatly.

Considerations:
Brass soft/hard - i.e, Norma is some of the softest brass out there. Winchester on the other hand is usually very hard out of the box. Remington hits the middle just right and my preferred entry level brass.
Internal volume is noticeably different between brands.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
didn't use Federal brass for years because a "gunsmith" said guys didn't like it because it's too soft. I started to use it and had no problems. Sometimes people draw thier own conclusion with very little practical experience, just like Sierra bullets are too soft, even though they take big game with a good track record.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Brass brands matter greatly.

Considerations:
Brass soft/hard - i.e, Norma is some of the softest brass out there. Winchester on the other hand is usually very hard out of the box. Remington hits the middle just right and my preferred entry level brass.
Internal volume is noticeably different between brands.

Heard that a LOT--and experienced some of it myself--years ago.

Neither has been my experience in recent years. Norma brass (including the cases they still make for Weatherby) has been very tough--and that includes the Norma 6mm PPC brass for my benchrest rifle--which as with a lot of BR rifles is loaded a grain or two over maximum.

From what I understand, Winchester no longer makes it own brass, but contracts it out to various companies. Some is pretty hard, and some is not. Which along with varying dimensions is why I quit using Winchester cases a few years ago.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
That was something I hadn't thought about, chamber dimensions .Thank You. That's a damm good idea.Why didn't I think of that !?! I'll see if I can find some fired cases. I have finished the neck measurements, all 600+ of them . I just sold a couple of unopened bags of Winchester red bag 25-06 brass, today so I'm committed to 270 brass.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by pete53
Originally Posted by mathman

^ VERY GOD ANSWER ^ > so your answer about brass brands yes there is a difference .

Mathman is pretty good but he is not a God

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
That was something I hadn't thought about, CHAMBER DIMENSIONS .Thank You. That's a damm good idea.Why didn't I think of that !?! I'll see if I can find some fired cases. I have finished the neck measurements, all 600+ of them . I just sold a couple of unopened bags of Winchester red bag 25-06 brass, today so I'm committed to 270 brass.

Chamber dimensions....I take it's Sammi dimensions ?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
It's not just neck size, but internal volume. I can and have used a variety of brass. I have Winchester, Lapua, Remington, S&B, Nosler, and Hornady brass for my 308 and have used military and Federal brass in the past. But when I load a batch of ammo I don't mix brands. I may load up a bunch of 155 gr Scenar's with Nosler brass, 150 gr SST's with the Remington and so on.

The same powder charge will give slightly different velocity in different brass. In my experience all of the brass I've tried except Federal and Military brass is close enough to be safe with the same powder charges. But when I use Federal or Military 308 brass I have to work up a different load. The same powder charges in that brass gives more velocity and could be an overload.

There is nothing wrong with using either Federal or Military brass. I just stopped using it because I had to use a different load when I did. It just makes my life simpler to be able to keep the same load data with the other brass.

Even with the same load data and same bullets I may find those loaded with Remington brass will have a slightly different POI than when I used Hornady brass. It isn't a dramatic difference. But enough that using mixed brass will result in larger groups on paper.

I don't hand load for handguns. But for most people there isn't enough of an advantage in accuracy anyway so mixed brass is less of an issue.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by JMR40
It's not just neck size, but internal volume. I can and have used a variety of brass. I have Winchester, Lapua, Remington, S&B, Nosler, and Hornady brass for my 308 and have used military and Federal brass in the past. But when I load a batch of ammo I don't mix brands. I may load up a bunch of 155 gr Scenar's with Nosler brass, 150 gr SST's with the Remington and so on.

The same powder charge will give slightly different velocity in different brass. In my experience all of the brass I've tried except Federal and Military brass is close enough to be safe with the same powder charges. But when I use Federal or Military 308 brass I have to work up a different load. The same powder charges in that brass gives more velocity and could be an overload.

There is nothing wrong with using either Federal or Military brass. I just stopped using it because I had to use a different load when I did. It just makes my life simpler to be able to keep the same load data with the other brass.

Even with the same load data and same bullets I may find those loaded with Remington brass will have a slightly different POI than when I used Hornady brass. It isn't a dramatic difference. But enough that using mixed brass will result in larger groups on paper.

I don't hand load for handguns. But for most people there isn't enough of an advantage in accuracy anyway so mixed brass is less of an issue.

slightly different velocity in different brass.
And how much is slightly ?

Last edited by anothergun; 08/18/23.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (160user, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 63 invisible), 2,556 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,336
Posts18,487,642
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.