-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
Hello all as I am new to this forum I was hoping to get some info on building a white ghillie suit. Pure white as I am hunting open fields.

I have all the instructions on building it, and I know it will take some time to do it however I am having a problem finding the BDUs or some other insulated type of base to start building on. Does any one here have any suggestions?

Please and thank you,

Mike

GB1

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Mike,

Welcome to 24 Hour Campfire; a great place to hang out.
I went a slightly different route for snow hunting. I wear insulated tops and bottoms for underwear, then a wool shirt and woll pants, with snow camo over the top and bottom as outer wear.
I bought some really neat snow camo locally, good stuff. I have a white face mask for cold days, and a white camo hat.
Sorry I can't help you with the ghillie suit.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

A
A
I would also build your ghille over your warm wear cloths. Tie it to a fish net and make more of a poncho style.

But you know a simple pair of painters whites for a field and you'll be just fine. White gloves and a white hat that covers most of your face and go kill some dogs.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Try those Tivek throw away suits that The Haz. Material Workers use. Works for Me

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Mike...

Go down to K-Mart and buy some oversized white sweat pants and "hoody".

Dress warm underneath and kill some stuff.......

[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Since it's gonna be cold an' snowy out.......Just take a big white piller-case, cut a slot on top for yer head to poke thru. an' a couple on the sides for the arms, and take one of them boxes of white kleenex. Since yer nose will be runny, just wipe it and stick 'em on, in random patterns...... Otter be good till the spring thaw grin

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
In the Military we made our own gillies.we used strips of dyed burlap.. for white I would use strips of sheets

Just got a set of white painter coveralls and some "shoe Goo" Cut up sheets into strips 1.5 inches wide and 15" long. Fold the strips in half and Shoe Goo them to the coveralls (or sew them on). Instant Gillie

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What? Mine ain't instant enuff?....... And it'll dang sure bio-degrade faster if lost. than a gunnysack will.....

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=392542

They have others that will work fine too.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some guys use burlap as the base for a ghillie suit and use a coarse "needle" or fid to insert strips of material. A tyvek suit might work as a base layer.

I avoid cotton for snow camo. It absorbs water and gets wet, heavy and cold, and sometimes frozen. It is slow to dry. Stictly synthetics for me. They are also lgihter and more compact for carrying. My best snow camo was a Canadian army surplus snow camo overcoat. It was a huge, unlined, nylon, calf-length coat with two inch buttons up the front, a big hood and slits to get into pants pockets. It would go over anything and was virtually a giant windbreaker. Lost it in a move somewhere.

XXXL white dress shirts from thrift stores make a good and cheap outside layer. Ditto to thin extra large white pants. Last year I bought three yards of thin synthetic white wedding type fabric. Wads to fist size. With some clothes pins I drape it on weeds, brush etc. in front and to the sides of me on a snow stand. Critters can't see movement behind the opaque screen, and with a white top and cap not much shows up. The last view of earth that some had was a rifle muzzle rising above the white wall...

IC B3

M
OP Offline
M
xl or bigger and I would get lost in the suit itself. I am tall and slender and weigh in at a whopping 110 pounds with my rifle.

I will look into the tyvek, I guess I was looking for a M65 field coat and a set of insulated pants to work on. The weight of the suit is not an issue to me. It is the fact I need to stay warm to be out in the weather. I guess I could always use a set of the used whites I have and construct the suit on top of that as well. Since I know it already fits me and all.

I will still look around for the suggestion listed. My whites should work fine for this year, but when it is slow going at work it would be nice to have something to work on.

Mike

A
A
I wouldnt mkae that ghille out of the tyvek suit. They are not the most durable item on the planet. And after all that time put into it, I'd be afraid not only the tyvek wouldnt hold the weight but would tear easily.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mike, XXL would swallow you. I put some extra X's on there to emphasize getting it big enough to go over bulky winter clothes warm enough for sitting on a stand for half an hour or more. I hate an outer camo layer that is tight and binding. I don't walk much in it so don't care if it is as form fitting as a tent. Have draped a sheet around my shoulders at times for snow camo on coyote stands.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Another cheapo option would be go get a cheap white sheet, fold it in half, lay across it with arms spread across the top seam, have someone trace your outline with some room to spare, sew along the traced lines and trim off the excess. Instant poncho type snow camo, sew on ghillie strips as needed (extra sheet will work well). You can add blotches of color with spray paint from a distance to add some depth if necessary. If the snow cover is spotty you will not need to have total whiteness, so your head, hands and legs hanging out will fit in to broken cover camo also. I have a white poncho with white gaiters and hat/ scarf it I need to white out even more (all homemade).

NRA Life Member
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I keep a white Tyvek suit as a loaner for when I hunt with a new guy, and it works so well I'm thinking of just using them myself. They fit over most things, are mostly wetproof and windproof and best of all are cheap to replace if torn on a barbed wire fence.

Get tied up on barbed wire just once in a ghillie suit, and you may never wear one again. Don't ask, LOL!

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Don't forget the scissors!

NRA Life Member
M
OP Offline
M
I was surfing ebay (dont ask me why) but came across some white netting that would work too I would guess. I mean as far a big cover goes. I think it was a three pack of 6x6 foot for like $10 plus shipping. Wish I could find it again, I would look a little closer at it. Oh well the search continues.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (222Sako, 160user, 1eyedmule, 219DW, 1badf350, 72 invisible), 3,661 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,753
Posts18,535,576
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.