Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
MAC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have been teaching NJROTC in Amarillo TX and have a line on an opening to teach the same thing in San Benito, TX. I know nothing about the area other than it is way down south and hot/humid. Anybody got any personal experience down that way? How is the hunting and fishing? Good place to be? Does it suck? Should I run away from it? I know it will be vastly different than the panhandle so I am looking for info from any outdoorsman that knows about it.

Chief

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Hunting and fishing is great! If you are willing to afford it.

Wetback Central. Lock everything you have, and still prepare to have it stolen. wink

Rio7 may have further insight.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Why would anybody leave the high plains to go to little Mexico, getting bad around Amarillo now, Hereford been gone for years, up high is safer.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
That sounds like a move I would consider. That being so, I would strongly advise against it grin

A small town South Texas school district. Expect a lot of nepotism and a lot of resistance to change and to outsiders in no particular order.

Not too far from the Gulf of Mexico, but a looong way from the mountains of New Mexico/Colorado.

Tho I do know an exceptional retired Navy Veteran that lives in the San Benito area, through historical re-enacting. It may be that you know this gentleman too.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
MAC, San Benito, is on old Hwy 83 about 2-3 miles north of the River, it's not a very desirable place to live if you are not a Mexican, lots of dope and cross river smuggling, of people and about anything else you can think of, truthfully it's a slum, if you are interested I would advise a trip down here to check it out. let me know if your coming this way perhaps i can help. Rio 7

IC B2

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Stay in the panhandle Mac!

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
If you go I hope you’re bilingual.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Got family there, but I never visit...

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
A bit off topic, but how did you feel about Ronnie Jackson giving an Annapolis appointment to the former Amarillo mayor’s kid, over a bunch of your NJROTC kids?? Irritated the hell outta me….

https://www.myhighplains.com/news/l...-graduate-to-join-u-s-naval-academy/amp/

Kid appeared to have no interest in the military (unlike most of your kids who had probably been ROTC since freshman year).

MAC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by fburgtx
A bit off topic, but how did you feel about Ronnie Jackson giving an Annapolis appointment to the former Amarillo mayor’s kid, over a bunch of your NJROTC kids?? Irritated the hell outta me….

Kid appeared to have no interest in the military (unlike most of your kids who had probably been ROTC since freshman year).

I didn't have any of my graduating NJROTC kids put in for the Navy Academy. I did have one put in for USAF Academy and he got the appointment. The kid from Amarillo high did his interview with my co-teacher. He was a sharp kid. Amarillo HS does not have a JROTC so he couldn't be in the program regardless who his parents were. Amarillo has a number of high schools and only 3 of them have JROTC, Tascosa (my school) has Navy, Caprock has USMC and Palo Duro has USAF. Amarillo HS used to have an Army unit years ago but it was shut down due to low numbers.

Not every kid in JROTC puts in for or even wants an appointment to one of the academies and most don't go into the service at all right out of HS. Most either continue on to college or go to work. I'd guess about 20% enter the military.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I live down here. You love it or hate it - no in between. Nice and warm though pretty much year around. I hunted in Shamrock for a reason!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Angus55
Why would anybody leave the high plains to go to little Mexico, getting bad around Amarillo now, Hereford been gone for years, up high is safer.

^^^THIS^^^

Can’t imagine wanting to move S. TX from N. TX / Panhandle region.

Although there’s plenty of Wets in N TX, it’s still MUCH MUCH better than the Border Country with all of its Smuggler / Cartel Bullschitt / SchittShow.

And as you already know, the Panhandle Region has some monster Muley and Whitetail populations.
And some outstanding Antelope hunting too.

Not to mention easy access to good hunting opportunities in CO & NM.

Of course, there are a few good folks in S TX like Barry / Rockinbbar and Rio7. But they are few and far between.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 08/19/23.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Lived in Harlingen TX several years. Had in-laws in Arroyo City on the Arroyo Colorado River. Bay fishing was probably the most fun fishing I've ever had. Drifting and sight-casting to Redfish and Black Drum. Speckled Trout filled the channels. BUT... you'll need a skinny water boat. Going north to Port Mansfield provided ocean access and in a small boat you could stay close to shore for Bonita and Tarpon. Going west (starting about Mercedes TX), about an hour drive, provides some of the best Dove hunting this side of the Rio Grande. Another hour west from about Roma, TX, to Amistad Reservoir will put you into some of the best "Big Whitetail Deer" in the State.

Here's the catch. I haven't been there since well before "The invasion". I suspect it's all changed dramatically.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The last time my brothers and I spent any meaningful time down there was back in the 70s. Only been back for the grandparent's funerals.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One of the best inexpensive bay boats ever made. Will run in 3" of water. Only 12' long. Tunnel hull & 25hp outboard. 18' graphite push pole.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Texas Tarpon caught near Port Isabell.

Story behind the picture. After moving back to Ft. Worth from Harlingen, a friend of mine and I joined the Fort Worth Flyfishers. The club had a newsletter and as a joke Howard and I staged a picture at Squaw Creek Reservoir near Granbury TX. We wrote an article of how there were Tarpon in the Comanche Peak Nuclear Generating Station. We didn't realize that the 200 member fly fishing club had a readership of many more than we'd ever assumed. After the article was posted, suddenly the Fort Worth Star Telegram re-wrote the article and posted it in the daily newspaper. In the next few days, Outdoor Life magazine AND ESPN contacted us.

Oops, they were quite disappointed it was all a joke....

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by fburgtx

I didn't have any of my graduating NJROTC kids put in for the Navy Academy. I did have one put in for USAF Academy and he got the appointment. The kid from Amarillo high did his interview with my co-teacher. He was a sharp kid. Amarillo HS does not have a JROTC so he couldn't be in the program regardless who his parents were. Amarillo has a number of high schools and only 3 of them have JROTC, Tascosa (my school) has Navy, Caprock has USMC and Palo Duro has USAF. Amarillo HS used to have an Army unit years ago but it was shut down due to low numbers.

Not every kid in JROTC puts in for or even wants an appointment to one of the academies and most don't go into the service at all right out of HS. Most either continue on to college or go to work. I'd guess about 20% enter the military.

Thanks. I would’ve thought that kids who had done JROTC would have had much higher than 20% military participation, or much more interest in the service academies. Appreciate your answer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is the San Benito teacher pay scale/compensation plan/ROTC stipend comparable to Amarillo’s? That to me would be a huge determinant. I wouldn’t think San Benito would pay much over the basic Texas teacher base pay scale, but I believe Amarillo used to pay teachers several thousand dollars over the basic state base.

Cost of living will probably be less than Amarillo’s, but factor in San Benito’s safety factor, Hispanic/Mexican culture factor, heat, etc…an in-person look-about should definitely be in order before making a major life-changing decision. Just my two cents.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by DMc
Texas Tarpon caught near Port Isabell.

Story behind the picture. After moving back to Ft. Worth from Harlingen, a friend of mine and I joined the Fort Worth Flyfishers. The club had a newsletter and as a joke Howard and I staged a picture at Squaw Creek Reservoir near Granbury TX. We wrote an article of how there were Tarpon in the Comanche Peak Nuclear Generating Station. We didn't realize that the 200 member fly fishing club had a readership of many more than we'd ever assumed. After the article was posted, suddenly the Fort Worth Star Telegram re-wrote the article and posted it in the daily newspaper. In the next few days, Outdoor Life magazine AND ESPN contacted us.

Oops, they were quite disappointed it was all a joke....

Hahaha,TFF. WINNER, WINNER....

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 204guy, 12344mag, 219DW, 1Longbow, 70 invisible), 2,428 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,301
Posts18,487,087
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.