Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I just put Talley 2-piece rail on mine. I went with Burris Signature or Zee rings, but any slim/hunting ring looks period appropriate.

Click here to see a Pic of my mounts on my M70FW

B

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by tnbillyearl
I just put Talley 2-piece rail on mine. I went with Burris Signature or Zee rings, but any slim/hunting ring looks period appropriate.

Click here to see a Pic of my mounts on my M70FW

B
That's a good option. Glad to see the mounts are not overhanging the ejection port or over the receiver like some mounts do. Those look like dog schidt. Don't know why anyone would do that to a rifle. Especially a nice one like a supergrade. I don't have any supergrades, but have plenty of Winchester model 70's of different vintages. I also like a steel warne style mount and Burris Zee rings. They are very strong and keep the scope where you want it for as long as you want it. Those and DD's are my pick, even though some of the other options may be a hair nicer. Here is an example of what I mean by a hair nicer:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Those are Conetrols and they look great in my opinion. However, they are a biotch to install. They have a bunch of small pieces. I ended up selling these and going with the tried and true DD's, which are a better bang for the buck IMHO. The Conetrol rings and mounts are similar to the S&K mounts and rings in looks, but use different parts. The S&K are kind of weird as well, as they use a strap type top ring, that can wear out over time. Ask my buddy that had a set and recently threw them away because they no longer held the scope securely. The scope would move under recoil. My buddy thinks they just wore out because he had removed them and stretched them out too many times. I can't say for sure on that one.

So, I like your simple weaver style bases and ring choice. They work well and are generally my first or second choice when scoping my model 70's. I'll use the steel Warne (weaver style) or steel leupold QRW/PRW bases though, as they tend to look a little better:

Here are some steel Warne bases with Burris Zee rings on top of my pre 64 338wm. Rifle weighs 7 pounds and those rings hold that scope very well:

Here's a newer mauser rifle, I set it up with gloss Burris Zee rings to go with the nice blued finish of the rifle:
Kind of similar to what a supergrade finish may look like. I have many other rifles set up this way, so I agree that these are a great match. Look great and are also very strong. Hard to beat for the money.

Leupold DD's:

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Those are Conetrols and they look great in my opinion. However, they are a biotch to install. They have a bunch of small pieces. I ended up selling these and going with the tried and true DD's, which are a better bang for the buck IMHO. The Conetrol rings and mounts are similar to the S&K mounts and rings in looks, but use different parts. The S&K are kind of weird as well, as they use a strap type top ring, that can wear out over time. Ask my buddy that had a set and recently threw them away because they no longer held the scope securely. The scope would move under recoil. My buddy thinks they just wore out because he had removed them and stretched them out too many times. I can't say for sure on that one.

Now that's funny!

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Last edited by 257Bob; 08/22/23.
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by MikeS
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Now that's funny!

I don’t know how this would even be possible.

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Today I prefer Weaver alloy bases with Weaver 4 screw rings or Burris Z signature (with inserts) or TPS hunter rings. Have given up on Talley LW and Leupold because of ugly stamping on top of rings.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Someone above posted his affinity for Conetrol rings and bases (http://www.conetrol.com/). I agree that these are probably the nicest looking rings for on a classic rifle like a super grade but again, they can be a real bear to install.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Talley bases and rings would look good

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
OK I'm going to shoot a range in Alabama tomorrow and will see what the range shop has in stock.

I'm confused as to the bases I need..it's a new supergrade with pre 64 action in 270...I ordered a set from Midway earlier in the year and the holes weren't spaced right even after chatting with someone about it prior to the order...

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
If it’s a new rifle, what makes you think that the action was made before 1964?

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by LeakyWaders
OK I'm going to shoot a range in Alabama tomorrow and will see what the range shop has in stock.

I'm confused as to the bases I need..it's a new supergrade with pre 64 action in 270...I ordered a set from Midway earlier in the year and the holes weren't spaced right even after chatting with someone about it prior to the order...

Standard bases. You don’t want anything that says Express (Pre or Post 64).

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Deere_Man
If it’s a new rifle, what makes you think that the action was made before 1964?

I guess I'm using the wrong terms...it's not a push feed, so it's a pre 64 action? Mea culpa.

The range gunshop only had the same offerings.

I'll call S&K or Talley this week and see what they say, those pics look good.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Don’t ask for Pre 64 mounts. You will get the wrong thing. If it’s a post 64 Classic that’s what you need to tell them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Talleys bases and split rings are great.

Make sure you get the right length front base:

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Talley Steel all the way.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pete53
PICATINNY MNTS.

Picatinny rails look like schidt on a Super Grade. You'd probably put all-terrain TAs on a Lamborghini.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
S&K or Conetrol all the way. For all this talk of being difficult to install you only have to do it once. A beautiful rifle should have scope mounts of the same beauty IMO.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco
Talley bases and rings would look good

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This for the win.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Here some Conetrol's on my pre-war M70 270 Win.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’m partial to Warne but there are a lot of good ones. The S&K or Conetrol are nice and clean but I don’t worry about that as much as I worry about toughness. My knock around hard hunting rifles all wear bedded pic rails with Warne rings.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

640 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 16gage, 12savage, 67 invisible), 2,870 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,644
Posts18,512,394
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.