Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Anyone use the Hornady .284/154 grain Interlock on elk size critters? How well does it hold up (280 Rem velocities)?

While we're at it, how 'bout the Speer 160 grain Hot Core on same??

GB1

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Used that bullet in a 280 Ruger "tanger" for 5 elk through the years.
All 1 shot kills, only recovered 1 bullet which weighed 112 grs. if
memory serves.

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by murkydismal
Anyone use the Hornady .284/154 grain Interlock on elk size critters? How well does it hold up (280 Rem velocities)?

While we're at it, how 'bout the Speer 160 grain Hot Core on same??
A guy I used to hunt with here in Sweden used the Hornady 154gr flat base Interlock in a 7mm Rem mag to shoot six moose (and probably more since I lost touch with him).

He just waited for the moose to be sideways to him, no lengthwise shots or any angling shot that required a lot of.penetration.

If I recall correctly, 2 bullets exited, 2 were found under the skin on the far side when the moose were skinned, and I don't recall the other two two.

I tried to get him to try one of the solid copper bullets that are capable of deeper penetration, but he wasn't interested.

Can't say as I can blame him.

I did quite a bit of bullet testing to amuse myself years ago with my 7mm Rem Mag loaded to close to max velocities..

No matter what media I used, the 154 Hornady interlock always held together better and penetrated better than than the Speer 160gr.

Note that this was about 20 years ago, I don't know if either bullet has been redesigned in the years since then.

/John

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
From this thread back in 2012, Dogzapper posted this:

Originally Posted by dogzapper
Yep, My wife Karen killed ten or twelve elk with the 154 Hornady SP Interlocked. She used a 7Mag and it was a one-shot killer every time.

Steve

It was one of his favorite bullets.

How about the 154 Hornady Interlock used on a full-grown Asian water buffalo bull??? Not an elk, but a considerably larger, heavier and more vital critter.

A few years ago, I whacked a water buffalo at about fifty yards. He was broadside and I shot him through both carotid arteries. I experienced complete penetration of the neck, including the two-inch++ thick hide on both sides.

From my position, the bull just fell in the knee-deep snow and disappeared from view. All I could see was the incredibly white snow and a RED FOUNTAIN OF BLOOD gushing waaay up into the air at ever pumping of his heart.

Then, the fountain shortened, and shortened a little more and then stopped.

I knew the shot would be short, so I down-loaded the 154-grain Hornady bullets to 2,800 fps. I could not have asked for a better buffalo killer.

Steve

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Water buffalo in knee-deep snow? Am I missing something?

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by okie john
Water buffalo in knee-deep snow? Am I missing something?

Okie John

'Twas explained further down in the thread:

Originally Posted by 340mag
How about the 154 Hornady Interlock used on a full-grown Asian water buffalo bull??? Not an elk, but a considerably larger, heavier and more vital critter.

A few years ago, I whacked a water buffalo at about fifty yards. He was broadside and I shot him through both carotid arteries. I experienced complete penetration of the neck, including the two-inch++ thick hide on both sides.

From my position, the bull just fell in the knee-deep snow and disappeared from view. All I could see was the incredibly white snow and a RED FOUNTAIN OF BLOOD gushing waaay up into the air at ever pumping of his heart.

Then, the fountain shortened, and shortened a little more and then stopped.

I knew the shot would be short, so I down-loaded the 154-grain Hornady bullets to 2,800 fps. I could not have asked for a better buffalo killer.

Steve

just curious.... water buffalo ...white snow just don,t seem to go together well, where was this

No problem. Karen and I hunted on the Clover Creek Ranch out of Ashwood, Oregon.
While we were there, between Christmas and New Years, the highest temperature we saw was 5�F and the next morning it dove to -7�. The snow was knee-deep down by the bunkhouse and mid-thigh up top where we eventually ran into the Asian water buffalo and yaks.

Karen whacked a yak and I very carefully ended the career of a nice buff.

The conditions were tough.

God Bless,

Steve

http://clovercreekranch.net/

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
JRS (Jon Sundra) wrote about the 154 Hornadys, and used them in 7-08 to 7 mags all over the world with great satisfaction. Based on his article, one friend whacked a nice elk with one shot from her 7-08 and another took his 7 RM and 7-08 to Africa with one shot kills on all manner of critters. This was about 30 years ago, and he's still a big fan.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 160user, 17CalFan, 54 invisible), 1,871 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,875
Posts18,497,665
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.