Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Howdy.

I'm planning to replace the stock trigger in my 50's vintage pre 64 M70 with the adjustable unit from Rifle Basix. I will also need some bulk coil spring to replace the trigger return spring and possibly the sear spring. Does anyone know the correct diameters for these two and which bulk kit(s) I need to order from Brownell's? I'm sure I'm not the only person that's finally given up on a Stock M70 trigger.AW

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
You're making a mistake switching the stock M70 trigger with aftermarket, especially a rifle basix unit. Send it to Mark Penrod and have him fix it. I believe there's also a gunsmith who posts here by the name of Redneck who specializes in M70's.
A stock M70 trigger can be made very fine, but it requires the right skills and tools, it's not a home fix it job.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What is the matter with your M70 trigger? Here is a link to adjustment advice M70 trigger adjustment.

Tell me what its like now.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Contact "Redneck" here on the campfire, he will make it right!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Adobe_Walls
Howdy.

I'm planning to replace the stock trigger in my 50's vintage pre 64 M70 with the adjustable unit from Rifle Basix.
Why replace the best with second-best? NO flame intended against Rifle Basix but properly tuned the M70 trigger can be a wonder in function and simplicity.
I'm sure I'm not the only person that's finally given up on a Stock M70 trigger.AW
I'm sure others have, but only because they were probably unaware of the choices in tuning that trigger.

Off the top of my head I'm unsure of the price of a Rifle Basix unit + shipping. However, for about $30 + shipping you can send the rifle (sans stock/bottom metal) to me and I'll get it right for you. Mark Penrod certainly can/will also but I have no idea what he charges. Turnaround time on this would be 24 hours, tops..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's a helluva deal! That's what I'd do!!

Used to be bobski, member since '01
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Howdy.

Thanks to Savage 99 for the link. The situation with my two M70's is exactly the same as both of the cases outlined in the link. On the pre 64 I didn't change much by adjusting tension on the return spring, so I clipped and ground about 2 coils off of the spring and still am not happy with the results. At this point, I figure the issue is mostly poor or too deep sear engagement. It's obvious that the trigger/sear engagement isn't perfectly square either because when it's cocked and under tension, there is a visible but slight tilt to the sear and trigger.
I have a post 64 M70 that I easily adjusted to a very satisfactory and safe pull simply by adjusting the tension on the trigger return spring. In comparing the two trigger return springs in both the older and newer rifles there is a profound difference in the two, so it appears that even Winchester has changed their opinion on trigger return springs over the years.

Redneck:
Thanks for the offer. It's too bad that I can't walk into your shop with this project. $30.00 is less than half the cost of the replacement trigger. Unfortunately I just don't feel comfortable shipping guns anywhere for repair. I was out of sorts for weeks while Ruger had one of my Old Model Blackhawks at the factory. Come to think of it, that gun really needs a trigger job too... So many guns so little time....AW

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cutting the trigger spring is not a good idea. Now I have not seen every spring in every M70 but if the spring is now short it can be dangerous as the rifle may discharge when the bolt is closed.

I change out that spring for one with lighter wire but one thats longer.

As to the trigger with the tilt what is actually wrong with the trigger pull? Does it have a creep or not?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Cutting the trigger spring is not a good idea. Now I have not seen every spring in every M70 but if the spring is now short it can be dangerous as the rifle may discharge when the bolt is closed.
+1

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I believe there's also a gunsmith who posts here by the name of Redneck who specializes in M70's.
A stock M70 trigger can be made very fine, but it requires the right skills and tools, it's not a home fix it job.

Redneck is good medicine for the model 70, and fast and fair grin

GeoW

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Howdy.

Thanks for the replies. The trigger wasn't really creepy it just felt like I had to stand on it to get it to go bang. Never put a trigger pull gauge on it but it was just too dang heavy to get out of the rifle what it was capable of. Shooting off the bench the rifle really wanted to shoot, but in "field" positions the trigger was a bit of a handicap. I ordered some ceramic stones but first I'm going to swap the trigger spring and the sear spring out of the newer M70 into the older one. The new one is out of service for rebedding and rebluing anyway. I figure if two new lighter springs don't bring it around to functional then I'll consider working on the trigger or finding an qualified trigger man within driving distance.AW

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (12344mag, 02bfishn, 1234, 1lessdog, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 65 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,573
Posts18,491,918
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.