Hop To
T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
How many of yall have tried this die and what were your thoughts on it? Thanks

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I bought a Forster Bushing Bump Neck Die because I have had such good luck with everything I have used made by Forster, LOVE their Micrometer BR Seating dies.
Problem with the neck die is that I forgot to get bushings with it ...........on their way
They do offer the die with 3 bushings included, the bushings are proprietary (Wilson and Redding bushings wont work)

T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks Boatanchor, I use there Micrometer BR seating dies as well and am extremely happy with them. The Forster Co-Ax press is also a favorite. I should probably order a die "with bushings" no pun intended.....and do something testing myself.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
All the bushings are pretty much the same.
I use Forster dies, with redding bushings, might wanna doublecheck those.
I mainly use Redding bushing, but have RCBS, Hornady, couple others. They all interchange.
Actually hate to admit it, but Short Action Custom makes the absolute best bushings.
I would not have believed if I had not seen it myself. From just a bushing change the runout will be cut in half

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LeeC
I mainly use Redding bushing, but have RCBS, Hornady, couple others. They all interchange.
Actually hate to admit it, but Short Action Custom makes the absolute best bushings.
I would not have believed if I had not seen it myself. From just a bushing change the runout will be cut in half

Left to right Forster, Redding, Short Action Customs:

[Linked Image]

In addition to the height difference, my Forster is .480" diameter vs. .500" for the others...

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
IC B2

T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by LeeC

I get the same results from the SAC bushings. If the forster die won't accept them it might almost be a deal breaker for me. Not only was runout cut in half but seating pressures were more consistent as well.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have them in 280 AI and 6.5x55. I have gotten them to work, with a little adjustment. Neither the 280ai or the 6.5x55 die would bump the shoulder out of the box. I had to use them in conjunction with the Redding competition shell holders (which I was lucky enough to already have on hand) to get them to bump. I, too, have had great experiences with Forster products (co-ax, micrometer seating die, etc.) and really wanted these to become part of my process because I thought they would help remove a step. Unfortunately, I couldn't get them to fit in my brass prep the way I thought they would and have gone to either a Redding Body Die, Lee collet die, Forster micrometer seater or a Redding Bushing die with SAC bushing and Forster micrometer seater when I neck size only. If I full length size, I use a Forster Sizing die (with no decapping pin), a 21st Century expanding mandrel and the Forster Micrometer seating die. Those methods have given me the least run out of other methods I have tried.

The SAC bushings are expensive as are their dies, but they are very well made and make a big difference in your outcomes. I wish they made their modular sizing and seating dies in the -06 and -06ai families.

Last edited by Torque; 08/21/23.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you you are satisfied with the neck tension consistency provided by your LCD, it can be paired with the Forster bump die minus bushing. There is no need to lube the cases which greatly speeds things up in my experience.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Redding body die and a Lee collet neck die. You can order a mandrel from Lee for specific neck tension.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Recently bought a Forster Bushing Bump die with bushings in 6mm Creedmoor. The die works as described and will adjust to slightly resize the shoulder and the neck in one stroke. The issue I had was that the bushings included are too large to resize the Hornady brass I was using. The smallest bushing included will resize the neck to barely hold a bullet. I’ve contacted Forster, but no reply yet.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Understood on the different mandrel diameters. Neck tension repeatability is still dependent on the dies set up.

If Torque wants to eliminate steps, what I outlined above eliminated the case lube step.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by MikeS
If you you are satisfied with the neck tension consistency provided by your LCD, it can be paired with the Forster bump die minus bushing. There is no need to lube the cases which greatly speeds things up in my experience.

Thank you for that. It's good info to have.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I slightly cam over to get consistent neck tension on my LCD.

Mike, Question.. you get better results with Forster neck shoulder bump die over LCD?

And how often do you have to size the case body using the Forster die?

I try not to highjack threads… Mike, you blocked me from pm’ing you.

Last edited by anothergun; 08/22/23.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by MikeS
Understood on the different mandrel diameters. Neck tension repeatability is still dependent on the dies set up.

If Torque wants to eliminate steps, what I outlined above eliminated the case lube step.

Sounds like something is up with the bushing not die set up

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,491 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,188
Posts18,484,884
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.