Print Thread
Hop To
L
luv99s Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Hi, does any one have any information on Winchester model 12’s? I have a model 12 in sixteen gauge, it is skeet marked below serial number and it has a 28” solid rib, the barrel is 28” long. Anybody?

GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Ask this on the Winchester Collectors forum - you may get responses from those who don't visit this forum.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If it's in original form and good condition, it's worth a lot of money. Not a Model 12 expert, just a Google master.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got one that is stone cold mint, but somewhere along the line a poly-choke was installed on it.

I got it cheap (Like $500)) about 10 years ago because of that and have used it a few times.

I really like it but have thought about getting rid of the choke more than once but I keep telling myself that it is fine the way it is.

Not sure how to value an original example.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ROMAC
I've got one that is stone cold mint, but somewhere along the line a poly-choke was installed on it.

I got it cheap (Like $500)) about 10 years ago because of that and have used it a few times.

I really like it but have thought about getting rid of the choke more than once but I keep telling myself that it is fine the way it is.

Not sure how to value an original example.

Poly Choke. 😖

About 5 years ago, I rescued a Win M12 16 ga from a pawn shop. The gun was solid, but abused. I bought it to scavenge parts for another M12 16 in my safe. It has a Cutts Comp.
One cool afternoon, I sat out on the porch and pulled the parts to make my other gun work. My old gun worked like a champ!
The wife came by, looked at the parts on my little work stool and said, "Why don't you put this one (the new gun) back together. Then you'll have two."
Wise woman! 😉
One hundred for the gun and $180 worth of parts to make both guns work. Still a pretty good bargain.
Gave the Cutts Comp gun (1952 mfg) to my youngest. Additional Cutts tubes were ordered to compliment the IC tube in the gun.
Gave the oldest kid the other (1928 mfg) gun.

Tell ya what I'd do.
First, try to find out if it was a factory installation.
Winchester installed either Cutts or Polychokes on "some" of their guns. Probably ordered.
If it's factory, don't touch it.
If it's THAT much of a distraction, PM me and I'll take it off your hands! 😉

Actually:
1) have a competent gunsmith remove it. I'd suggest Briley in Houston.
2) if you just don't want the knot on the end of the barrel, have Briley thread the barrel for inside choke tubes.
-forgot #3!
3) if the gun is functional, it ain't gonna hurt anything, just leave it on there!
The problem you may have is barrel length "IF" you remove the Polychoke.

P.S. rescued a Rem "Sportsman" 16 gauge from another pawn shop! That's my primary shotgun. Sent it to Briley for tubes! It's awesome now!

Last edited by MartinStrummer; 08/20/23.
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1minute, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 204guy, 219 Wasp, 75 invisible), 2,327 guests, and 1,363 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,684
Posts18,493,949
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.