Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#18685469 08/19/23
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Anybody have some they have put up and noticed their local population increase?

Used to see tons when I was a kid but haven't seen nearly as many in the last few years.

Lately when at the new build just before dark I see one or more cruising around and would like to increase them locally as much of the land is in the flood plain and skeeters can be a booger.

Tips on houses, placement and how many I should put up would be appreciated.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I put up a couple bat houses you buy from tractor supply.

Cypress maybe?

Im not sure they worked. Put them on the south side of my shop abojt 10’ high.

Havent checked lately, prolly a big wasp nest now..

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have been going to put a couple of them up for the last few years but seeing so many bats without them that I’m assuming adequate shelter is plentiful.

Honestly, planting 23 acres into native forbs and grasses seems to have multiplied everything 2-3x. We’re absolutely lousy with deer, turkeys, songbirds, etc. Talking a walk through the fields now you see bugs and birds like you would not believe. Wish I could plant another several hundred acres like it.

The prairies and savanna's of pre-industrial revolution America must have been something to behold.

Fear the crabcat.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Got three hanging in a pine in the edge of the yard. Get them as high as you can, 15 ft good 20 better, the wasps took over 1 bats in the other two . Do not hang 5hem near the house or buildings the over flow will move in and are a bitch to get out

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Gypsy_Wind
The prairies and savanna's of pre-industrial revolution America must have been something to behold.

I think about that often as well as what Lewis and Clark along with the Corps of Discovery saw when they made it out west. Herds of buffalo crossing a valley that seemed endless for as far as the eye can see were buffalo. The amount of ducks and the size of the salmon and salmon runs would’ve been incredible to witness.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Lewis and Clark also complained endlessly about the mosquitos; it wasn't all Eden.

Dale

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by Gypsy_Wind

I think about that often as well as what Lewis and Clark along with the Corps of Discovery saw when they made it out west. Herds of buffalo crossing a valley that seemed endless for as far as the eye can see were buffalo. The amount of ducks and the size of the salmon and salmon runs would’ve been incredible to witness.
Short read.

https://mdc.mo.gov/magazines/conservationist/2019-02/schoolcraft-journey-through-southern-missouri

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Not knocking bat’s or bat houses. I live in a place that has a high density of mosquitoes and bats with no bat houses. I’m not sure you can have enough bats to reduce the mosquitoe population. At least enough to be offset by the bat guano, bat piss, and rabid bats to make it worth while!

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My son and I put up a few in an effort to get them out of our cabin. Havent seen much guano at the base of the 4x4" posts but still getting them in the cabin. We need some help to get them out and keep them out. Suggestions please!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Bats….the chicken of the cave.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L

😂🤣

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by blixen
My son and I put up a few in an effort to get them out of our cabin. Havent seen much guano at the base of the 4x4" posts but still getting them in the cabin. We need some help to get them out and keep them out. Suggestions please!

Not to hijack,but we used to have them in one of our rentals,(our first home).
Always looking to have the smallest of holes in the fascia,siding roof etc,filled
I put a screen over the chimney as well.
Ended up residing and new aluminum fascia , soffit attic window,and seems to be better.
They can find a hole the size of a dime I'm told.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I bought 4 of them for my Brother to hang on his pine trees v in Florida about 5 years ago. He lives on the edge of a 20k+ natural area.

He checks them every so often and has not seen one Bat. He just started seeing bats this year as a matter of fact.

I found one last year outside under the exhaust fan hood.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Farming
Not knocking bat’s or bat houses. I live in a place that has a high density of mosquitoes and bats with no bat houses. I’m not sure you can have enough bats to reduce the mosquitoe population. At least enough to be offset by the bat guano, bat piss, and rabid bats to make it worth while!

I agree. While smaller bats do take mosquitoes, there’s a multitude of somewhat larger flying insects out there for them to chase offering more bang for the buck.

Add to that there’s also hordes of mosquito-sized non-biting gnats out there offering about the same low-caloric return as a mosquito, hence little incentive for a bat to specifically target mosquitoes.

It aint as bad as purple martins, which martin house advertising said they “ate their weight in mosquitoes every day” ( there has never been an observed example of a martin taking a single mosquito) but I would like to see a single instance of bat houses measurably impacting the number of mosquito bites one suffers.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Dragonflies seem to do a number on flies and mosquitoes

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by LBP

😂🤣
Chicken of the cave. grin

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Dragonflies seem to do a number on flies and mosquitoes
That's all they do, all day long, is hunt mosquitos and such. Love to see lots of them patrolling my property. I wish I could hire a squadron of them to follow my around.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't have direct experience but I trust as stated by the batsperts, hanging houses on trees is a bad idea...predators will clean them out.

Dave

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
People selling bat houses are all for them. They are pointless. You are going to house x number of bats from a huge population? Exclusion devices/barriers keep bats out.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by blixen

Use to have them in a attic, brought a few barn cats and put the up there for 2 days, problem solved

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (160user, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1234, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 3,251 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,710
Posts18,534,869
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.