R
They make much more sense than EVs.

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Higginez;
Top of the morning to you my friend, I hope all is well as can be with you and your fine family.

This young fellow is from the Cariboo region here in BC, about 6 hours north of us more or less and his YouTube channel shows all sorts of backcountry areas here and in the Yukon and Alaska.

Anyways this is a breakdown of his current ride with the pluses and minuses laid out fairly well. He goes on some very tough runs with it too by the way.

A good friend and hunting/fishing buddy of mine has ebikes, but he doesn't take them off road at all, he has a DR 650 he uses for that.

Hope that helps you or someone out there.

All the best in the upcoming week.

Dwayne

Dustins got a great Youtube channel, I watch all his episodes. Sure makes a guy want to go exploring.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Recent trip with Cruiser & Wen inverter............

For the dick head 'Yota haters

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That's a cool setup, tikka.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Coming out thread?

Hey Lady, you’re the one weighing yourself every ten minutes.

LOL
That got a genuine lol.

I love Flave jokes.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
I was making parts for electric bikes before they went mainstream, but I certainly claim no expertise and I’m not willing to invest in a good one (and I won’t own cheap junk) until the tech stabilizes more.

E bikes remind me of when bottled water first appeared, no one predicted how popular they would become.

The thing is the batteries tho, until there’s an accepted industry standard once the battery wears out seems like the bike will become junk. If you’re familiar with bicycles you know how fast the technology can change and how fast replacement parts for the non-current stuff can dry up.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I was making parts for electric bikes before they went mainstream, but I certainly claim no expertise and I’m not willing to invest in a good one (and I won’t own cheap junk) until the tech stabilizes more.

E bikes remind me of when bottled water first appeared, no one predicted how popular they would become.

The thing is the batteries tho, until there’s an accepted industry standard once the battery wears out the bike becomes junk.

There are a lot of different shapes, power level and sizes to the batteries already, so I don't see any kind of standardization in the future.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
There are a lot of different shapes, power level and sizes to the batteries already, so I don't see any kind of standardization in the future.

My watch takes an industry-standard battery, same thing with the batteries in my bicycle lights. If the battery goes out in my pickup most any auto parts store stocks ones that drop right in.

Might take a while but if e-bikes are here to stay, and they are, it’s only a matter of time. Until then, good luck on replacing the battery on your five year-old already out of production e-bike.

JMHO

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

My watch takes an industry-standard battery, same thing with the batteries in my bicycle lights. If the battery goes out in my pickup most any auto parts store stocks ones that drop right in.

Might take a while but if e-bikes are here to stay, and they are, it’s only a matter of time. Until then, good luck on replacing the battery on your five year-old already out of production e-bike.

JMHO

Power tools have been around a long time and they’re still not standardized.

E-bikes will be the same.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
In many places they're allowed on motorcycle trails but not on bicycle or hiking trails. North of here, in the Sun Valley area, the trails are full of elites. You bike THEIR way, wear THEIR approved uniforms, follow THEIR elite rules. The rules seem to be arbitrary and in place mainly because the land/trail managers either like or don't like the bikes. So what if it has a small motor? Who's being hurt by that? It doesn't make any noise to destroy the silence of the hills. Restricting them is nonsense.
Look at some of the posts here. Some don't like the e-bikes with no logical reason why. The only difference is that they make it possible for some older or less infirm people to also get out on the trails...which are paid for by their taxes, too. Somebody said they're gay. Now that's stupidity in it's purest form. It's no more 'gay' than a variable scope or a compound bow. It's technology.

It's the same thing with atvs/utvs. We have many miles of atv trails here that are restricted to 50" wide or smaller. We have a 50" Polaris sxs and we can drive all those trails. About 10 years ago, an atv club tried to get trail use restricted to vehicles with handle bars, no steering wheels. It was pure lunacy. A 50" utv is the same width, only a few inches longer, makes the same noise, puts out the same exhaust, can go the same speed and climb the same hills as an atv. It makes no difference whatever except that some people decided they didn't like them. When we're on those trails, we rarely encounter other riders any way. We're not reducing anyone's fun. We're not in anyone's way. It's just rules for the sake of having rules. They didn't get their restrictions approved, thank goodness.

BTW, don't recharge one of them inside your garage or apartment. They've been responsible for many fires.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

JMHO
I believe the wire connectors are standard. If not it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to splice a new connector on the power cable. Red wire to red wire, black to black. So easy a puddle pirate like Paul can do it... 😉

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

The thing is the batteries tho, until there’s an accepted industry standard once the battery wears out the bike becomes junk.

I wonder if that's true. With the nickel metal hydride type, you used to be able to get your Milwaukee/DeWalt batteries rebuilt from on-line sources. They just used off-the-shelf cells in the quantity/configuration required.

I'm thinking something similar with the L-ion, except for very specialized applications, but maybe that's not the case. I know with L-ion, it's extremely important the charger matches the battery spec's or you risk overcharging/overheating and fires.

I'm with you that any general use battery types should become standardized in some fashion, if not already.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Himiway......Zebra as what I bought....class 2 bike

Rates the battery for 1000 recharge cycles

https://himiwaybike.com/products/premium-all-terrain-electric-bike

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
In many places they're allowed on motorcycle trails but not on bicycle or hiking trails. North of here, in the Sun Valley area, the trails are full of elites. You bike THEIR way, wear THEIR approved uniforms, follow THEIR elite rules. The rules seem to be arbitrary and in place mainly because the land/trail managers either like or don't like the bikes. So what if it has a small motor? Who's being hurt by that? It doesn't make any noise to destroy the silence of the hills. Restricting them is nonsense.
Look at some of the posts here. Some don't like the e-bikes with no logical reason why. The only difference is that they make it possible for some older or less infirm people to also get out on the trails...which are paid for by their taxes, too. Somebody said they're gay. Now that's stupidity in it's purest form. It's no more 'gay' than a variable scope or a compound bow. It's technology.

It's the same thing with atvs/utvs. We have many miles of atv trails here that are restricted to 50" wide or smaller. We have a 50" Polaris sxs and we can drive all those trails. About 10 years ago, an atv club tried to get trail use restricted to vehicles with handle bars, no steering wheels. It was pure lunacy. A 50" utv is the same width, only a few inches longer, makes the same noise, puts out the same exhaust, can go the same speed and climb the same hills as an atv. It makes no difference whatever except that some people decided they didn't like them. When we're on those trails, we rarely encounter other riders any way. We're not reducing anyone's fun. We're not in anyone's way. It's just rules for the sake of having rules. They didn't get their restrictions approved, thank goodness.

BTW, don't recharge one of them inside your garage or apartment. They've been responsible for many fires.

Good point about the chargers. My thoughts are concerns over increased trail damage and speed differentials with other trail users from hikers to equestrians are driving ebike trail restrictions. At least here in Arizona. Novices at higher speeds on single track are a bad combo.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Yep, they have a motor. Keep them on appropriate trails.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
The main problems with them I can see is parts availability long term such as batteries mentioned already. I am also concerned that as they get heavier and more powerful the drive chains designed for much lighter, self-powered bikes will have excessive wear and failure rates.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RHClark
The main problems with them I can see is parts availability long term such as batteries mentioned already. I am also concerned that as they get heavier and more powerful the drive chains designed for much lighter, self-powered bikes will have excessive wear and failure rates.
I looked a one a while back and thought changing a flat would be an all afternoon job. I don’t think I’d get 100 yards down one of our trails before I had a flat

Harry
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Mathsr
Originally Posted by RHClark
I looked a one a while back and thought changing a flat would be an all afternoon job. I don’t think I’d get 100 yards down one of our trails before I had a flat

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Someone needs to do a 2wd like a Rokon!

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Higginez
Someone needs to do a 2wd like a Rokon!

They already do.

I know a guy with one. Uses it for shed hunting. Won’t STFU about it. Lol

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
wytex this is the legal definition not your opinion:
(a)Construction
Notwithstanding any other provision of law, low-speed electric bicycles are consumer products within the meaning of section 2052(a)(1) [1] of this title and shall be subject to the Commission regulations published at section 1500.18(a)(12) and part 1512 of title 16, Code of Federal Regulations.

(b)Definition
For the purpose of this section, the term “low-speed electric bicycle” means a two- or three-wheeled vehicle with fully operable pedals and an electric motor of less than 750 watts (1 h.p.), whose maximum speed on a paved level surface, when powered solely by such a motor while ridden by an operator who weighs 170 pounds, is less than 20 mph.

(c)Promulgation of requirements
To further protect the safety of consumers who ride low-speed electric bicycles, the Commission may promulgate new or amended requirements applicable to such vehicles as necessary and appropriate.

(d)Preemption
This section shall supersede any State law or requirement with respect to low-speed electric bicycles to the extent that such State law or requirement is more stringent than the Federal law or requirements referred to in subsection (a).

(Pub. L. 92–573, § 38, as added Pub. L. 107–319, § 1, Dec. 4, 2002, 116 Stat. 2776.):

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 53 invisible), 2,443 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,455
Posts18,489,729
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.