Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
TCRken Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
This is a FYI for TCR 83 and 87 collectors or shooters.

I mentioned months ago that none of my kids wanted my TCR 83 and TCR 87 collection. I am now in my 80's and have decided to pass them on to some others who appreciate the TCR's.

Over the past years I have sold some locally but as TCR's are not the usual rifles folks look for, I have my remaining TCR 83's and 87's on sale at DurysGuns.com. Dury's are selling the five frames with barrels. In addition, there are also barrels going up for sale in their original boxes.

Calibers range from 6mm PPC to 32-40 WCF with 8 others.

I thought i'd pass this on to any other folks who like to shoot TCR's or are collectors as I was.

Old Ken

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I just spent the last 30 minutes looking for them. I tried half a dozen ways to search for it, finally gave up and just scrolled thru all the pages of the rifles on the website to no avail.

Last edited by bhemry; 08/21/23.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
On a whim, checked Gunbroker and found them.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
found them. Got the sights for any of them?

TCRken Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
The easiest way to see them is to go to Gunbroker.com and search on TCR 83 and/or TCR 87. You will see DurysGuns banner on the display.

Alternatively, go to DurysGuns.com and click on auctions and then single shots.

the only barrel with iron sights is the 30-06 barrel. You can find it by going to Gunbroker.com and looking for rifle barrels.

There are 3 barrels in their original boxes, the 30-06, a 243, and a 22-250.

One note on both the 243 barrels. The chambers were apparently minimum cut early in production. Reloads will require a small base die set. Using a regular die set will find the reloads will not chamber. Factory ammo goes fine and that was gave me the clue that I needed the small base set. Once that was purchased, reloads were no sweat. BTW, anyone who buys one of the 243 barrels I will send my Redding small base die set to you for the postage cost.

Anyone who wants to buy my regular 243 die set I had before discovery on the need for small base, I'll sell for $10 plus postage. Ditto on the 22-250 and 280.

While I am at it. I found Norma 280 170 grain factory loads gave good accuracy. I'll give the 3 boxes of factory loads to the new owner gratis plus postage.

As for sights. I have 8 Leupold and other brand bases for TCR 83 or 87 barrels. I'll sell them for $5.00 plus postage to any TCR owner. If you bought one of the rifles, I'll give one gratis plus postage.

As an aside. The TCR with the 308 barrel is dandy for hunting elk in dark timber. The barrel is 20" and the total length of the rifle is quite short. I found it handy when stepping over dead falls and a elk bolts from its' bed. I found the barrel on on of my 83 frames shot 1.5" pretty consistently with my reloads. I'll share my loads to the new owner.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I’ve already got two, and not looking for another (yea, sure). However, despite criticism of the safety by those simply unable to adapt, the TCR83 Aristocrat has much to offer as a stalking rifle. An example from this morning’s range session:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Leupold Quick Release rings are used with the Leupold 2-7x33 scope mounted to the .30-06 barrel on this TCR83 (#1), in order to better retain zero, allowing for quick removal and reattachment of the scope with no worries. This TCR83 was dirty and cold, having last been shot about a month ago and not cleaned. The scope was reattached and shooting commenced to confirm zero:

Upon observing the results of the first shot at 100 yards, I immediately engaged the 200 yard target with the second shot. No need to shoot more. Eighteen rounds are left for more important targets.

Reminds me of a story Mule Deer tells about his Kipplauf.

Its second barrel, with 3-9x33, is in .223REM:

Every day’s an adventure.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
This TCR83 (#2), with a different .30-06 barrel and its own 2-7x33 scope, is my cast bullet rifle because the frame is out of spec (creating slightly longer headspace), probably stretched by a previous owner shooting too many heavy magnums in the early, standard frame. That presents no problem, as my cast bullet loads are quite mild (maybe 1700 fps) and the cases are neck sized only. In addition, headspace issues are known to be created with low pressure cast bullet loads in .30-06 anyway (details of which are not important here), and are of no consequence so long as the cases are not later used for full power loads. Bottom line, TCR83 #2 makes a perfect practice rifle, standing-in for TCR83 #1:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]Interesting wood, no?

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
That rifle also has nice figuring in the butt stock!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by TCRken
The easiest way to see them is to go to Gunbroker.com and search on TCR 83 and/or TCR 87. You will see DurysGuns banner on the display.

Alternatively, go to DurysGuns.com and click on auctions and then single shots.

the only barrel with iron sights is the 30-06 barrel. You can find it by going to Gunbroker.com and looking for rifle barrels.

There are 3 barrels in their original boxes, the 30-06, a 243, and a 22-250.

One note on both the 243 barrels. The chambers were apparently minimum cut early in production. Reloads will require a small base die set. Using a regular die set will find the reloads will not chamber. Factory ammo goes fine and that was gave me the clue that I needed the small base set. Once that was purchased, reloads were no sweat. BTW, anyone who buys one of the 243 barrels I will send my Redding small base die set to you for the postage cost.

Anyone who wants to buy my regular 243 die set I had before discovery on the need for small base, I'll sell for $10 plus postage. Ditto on the 22-250 and 280.

While I am at it. I found Norma 280 170 grain factory loads gave good accuracy. I'll give the 3 boxes of factory loads to the new owner gratis plus postage.

As for sights. I have 8 Leupold and other brand bases for TCR 83 or 87 barrels. I'll sell them for $5.00 plus postage to any TCR owner. If you bought one of the rifles, I'll give one gratis plus postage.

As an aside. The TCR with the 308 barrel is dandy for hunting elk in dark timber. The barrel is 20" and the total length of the rifle is quite short. I found it handy when stepping over dead falls and a elk bolts from its' bed. I found the barrel on on of my 83 frames shot 1.5" pretty consistently with my reloads. I'll share my loads to the new owner.
Very generous

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Awesome wood Chipy and some good shooting to go with it. Well done.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ken,
sent you a Private Message.

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Chipy if you decide to sell #2 please let me know.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Chipy if you decide to sell #2 please let me know.
As I said, the breech to hinge pin distance ain’t quite right (stretched, maybe), leaving a visible gap between the barrel and breech when closed. Though it’s not dangerous, if it is wisely accounted for in loading die adjustment, I’m nevertheless reluctant to set it free into the world. AND, it’s been serving me quite well as a fine cast bullet rifle, its .30-06 barrel having been Tubb fire-lapped and the muzzle re-crowned in the white. (I just can’t seem to leave guns as I find them.)

BUT, … PM sent.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I am interested in some Leupold bases for the TCR platform! I have trouble getting on this site! Please text me at 325-330-0387. Or email me at Bhlatham67gmail.com with information about bases and additional bbls please! Central Texas BHLATHAM

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Happily picked up the 30/06 barrel.

Thanks it fills the hole in my TCR barrel set!

Now I just want to find a 6.5x55...tho I may end up having to sacrifice a 223 barrel to JES Reboring to get it!

RAS

Last edited by RSherburne; 08/28/23.
TCRken Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Big1Bud

I am sorry but another forum member bought all 8 last week.

RSerburne

Glad to hear you were successful in getting the rifle.

Ken

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
B
No problem thanks for the info!!

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
TCRKen et al

Just a shout out "Thanks".

30/06 barrel arrived today. Maybe Drurys or someone steam cleaned it or something but the barrel really looks pretty much unfired. Been mounted but cannot see any indicia of having been fired. Really appreciate that this barrel got passed on.

Big "Thank You"

RAS

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

Changing scopes is quick and easy. And, they stay sighted-in, too.

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Still love the figure on those stocks.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

465 members (17CalFan, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 17Fan, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,860 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,388
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.