Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Jim1611 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm almost 62 and after my wife retires I will need to buy insurance. What are you guys using?
Thanks
Jim

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I’m past that, on Medicare now, with a supplement. When I was in your situation, I went to an independent insurance agency that represented several insurance companies. They researched and showed me some options.
Good luck,it’s expensive.

NRA Patron
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Caveat, I did not look for insurance until Medicare was in effect for both of us.

United Health Care is owned by the most liberal AARP.

That said, United Health Care provides full coverage insurance with minimal deductibles and includes $80/quarter of coverage for OTC meds. It matches my (extremely good) company provided coverage of the last forty years.

This coverage is at no cost to me or my wife, except that cost billed to Social Security to pay for Medicare part B. The United coverage also includes great prescription coverage wityhout paying for Medicare part D.

You will need an alternative for the the three intervening years. Let your conscience be your guide for doing business with United after age 65.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tri-care!

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Blue Cross supplement on Medicare.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Don't go cheap.................

90% of your lifetime medical expenses are paid in the last 10% of your life....

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Before I turned 65 & Medicare took over

Insurance was included with my retirement for wife & I

Now I'm paying $190 off the top of of my SS benefit just for me

Wife still under the UPS/Teamsters

Bass turds

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We (the wife and me) are on Medicare.
We tried several different policies. Cost prohibitive.
So we tried a "Health Share" program.
Worked great! Got the two of us in for $249/mo.
Medicare pays there part and the health share picked up the rest.
Then the health share premium went up when the ACA started. (Thought that was supposed to make premiums go DOWN?)
We continued down that road until we got notification that our "share" was going up to$849/mo! 🤯
We dropped the healthshare and began placing $400/mo cash in the gun safe.
Mind boggling what happens when you inform the billing department that you pay cash! 😉

My PCP suggested I have a test. The clinic priced the test at $5,000! 🤯
Told the lady, "We pay cash."
"Okay," she said and tickled her computer keyboard.
"That will be $1500."
For drugs, we buy through "Blink Health" online. It isn't a cure-all, but it saves us a ton of money!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A guy at work semi retired and makes just enough to stay under the threshold. He says Obamacare is cheap if you don't show much income.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
At 64 you can apply for Medicare until then all depends in what state you are and who is selling in you state.

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have A,B, D,and G. Costs 300.00 a month. I had an operation in January that costs 100,000. My out of pocket was 150.00 for the year. I do have to pay a Medicare penalty because Wifey and I make too much, but I suppose that’s a good problem to have.

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
We (the wife and me) are on Medicare.
We tried several different policies. Cost prohibitive.
So we tried a "Health Share" program.
Worked great! Got the two of us in for $249/mo.
Medicare pays there part and the health share picked up the rest.
Then the health share premium went up when the ACA started. (Thought that was supposed to make premiums go DOWN?)
We continued down that road until we got notification that our "share" was going up to$849/mo! 🤯
We dropped the healthshare and began placing $400/mo cash in the gun safe.
Mind boggling what happens when you inform the billing department that you pay cash! 😉

My PCP suggested I have a test. The clinic priced the test at $5,000! 🤯
Told the lady, "We pay cash."
"Okay," she said and tickled her computer keyboard.
"That will be $1500."
For drugs, we buy through "Blink Health" online. It isn't a cure-all, but it saves us a ton of money!

It seems like whatever test was done would have been covered by Medicare. Your deductible should have been $226 and then your copay 20% of the balance. Somewhere around $1200 total.

For the OP, wife and I are not yet Medicare eligible. We have a Health Savings Account combined with a high deductible policy. The policy costs us around $1000 per month and our deductible is $8000 per person per year. We are in good health and rarely meet the deductible. The HSA component allows us to pay medical expenses with tax free dollars, so we do save some that way. Medical insurance is just darn expensive.

Last edited by WMR; 08/21/23.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My has insurance from her employer so when she retired it changed from blue cross to transamerica.

It has been ok but it does things differently that blue does.

Funny thing they are both owned by blue cross.

Medicare is primary now and they come second,before it was the opposite.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Before I turned 65 & Medicare took over

Insurance was included with my retirement for wife & I

Now I'm paying $190 off the top of of my SS benefit just for me

Wife still under the UPS/Teamsters

Bass turds
Same. I pay I think $155 for part B. My Medicare is from my wife. I was hired too young and never got the full quarters to qualify. My union insurance was carried from when I retired until 65. They are now the supplemental and I have zero co-pays. It's pretty sweet.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'm 57 and have a United Health care family plan (family of 4). It costs me $1650/month with a high deductible.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim1611
I'm almost 62 and after my wife retires I will need to buy insurance. What are you guys using?
Thanks
Jim

I retired at 56 from a seasonal job I took later in life just for the sake of insurance benefits.
I maxed out my Health Care Savings every year and accumulated a fair sum of funds. I believe the max was $2k or $2500.00 a year.

When I retired I was able to maintain my insurance policy through the Cobra Plan for 18 months. This meant I only paid what the group policy my company had me covered with cost which was $550.00 a month as a single individual.

I was able to receive some extended unemployment when I first left my job, if I recall it was 8 months.

It's very limiting as to how your Health Care Savings funds can be spent due to being tax free. There is a provision that allows you to pay your health insurance premiums with Health Care Savings funds IF you are collecting unemployment AND on a Cobra Insurance plan.

So I was able to pay my first 8 months of premiums with my Health Care Savings funds which saved my roughly 27% being it was tax free.

After that I paid the full monthly premiums which started at $550.00 a month and slowly escalated to around $625.00 per month after a couple of years.

I knew a lot of folks that paid a lot less that were on Obama Care.
I went online and attempted to find what Obama Care would cost me and found for a similar policy that I always had without catastrophic co-pays would run about $750.00 a month.

I asked around with some of the folks I knew that were using Obama Care how they had gotten such affordable policies.

They had all used an agent that knew the ins and outs of Obama Care.

So, I gave and went to a insurance agent for some assistance.
I ended up with the best policy offered through Obama Care, which was very similar to what I'd always had for $350.00 a month.

That remained the same until I reached 65 years of age and I went onto Medicare which costs a little under $200.00 a month.

My brother chose a different route.

He wasn't going to use Obama Care and was too much of a tight ass to pay exspensive monthly insurance premiums so he proclaimed he'd just pay his own medical expenses.

Then he busted his head open in a accident and spent 6 months in the hospital with a catastrophic brain injury.

He racked up close to $800,000.00 in medical bills which of course became the tax payers problem, he was unable to work and never paid a dime of his health care expenses.

He's since lost everything he had and drained my mother of over $100,000.00 with miscellaneous medical and other life expenses being he's unable to work and living off some cheap assed monthly government check.

So, suck it up and pay the premiums or skate through life knowing if anything actually happens to you that cost real money you can just become burden for your loved ones and the tax payers.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by duke61
At 64 you can apply for Medicare until then all depends in what state you are and who is selling in you state.

Tell me more about this Medicare at 64 please.
Thanks,
Rick

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can apply for Part A and Part B of Medicare starting 3 months before you turn 65.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
R
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
R
I knew that. And I think coverage begins the first day of your birth month. I read that to mean you could have coverage at 64.
I am 64 and paying a lot for little coverage. My wife is older and already on Medicare.
Thanks,
Rick

Last edited by RickinTN; 08/22/23.
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by DavePrice
Tri-care!

Medicare and Tricare. 😁

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

707 members (01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 67 invisible), 2,847 guests, and 1,453 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,731
Posts18,475,935
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.