Print Thread
Hop To
P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
As the ad states im looking for a few items for a barreled action I just picked up. Figured I'd try here before scouring the net. Rifle is a mid 80,s FB, SA, with the top bolt release, 223. I am looking for a hidden mag box spring and follower as well as a hidden mag box stock and trigger guard. Action screw spacing is 4.510. The stock does not need to be pretty as long as its sound. As a matter of fact, if wood, I would almost prefer ugly as I would like to hog a bunch of material off and refinish. Rifle is going to pull duty as a pickup rifle anyway. Any help would be appreciated, and feel free to respond here or via PM.

GB1

P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
evening

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
might try gunshack they carry some parts

P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Thanks Tal, I will keep them in mind.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
What you have is Savages early 1st Generation short action, also known as an “intermediate” or “J” action. Gunshack will definately have the trigger guard and probably the spring and follower for the mag box.(it is a staggerfeed mag if asked). They are good people and have very fast shipping.

The stock on the other hand will be a search. They are a rare find and have been for years. Best would be to do a want ad on various forums for just the stock and see what turns up.
However I do know that Boyd’s Stocks has a few in their “Rapid Fire prebuilt” section for that action. Would just depend on if it’s the style you’re looking for. Filter it to search alphabetically(z to A). I just checked and it looks like they have 5 or so available.

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/rapid-fire/sav-110-1st-generation-short-action-blind-mag-fbc36c71

Lmk if you need anymore info. I’ve had a couple of these actions and have been down the same road you’re going down.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I can dig through my bins of Savage stocks today and see what I have.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
P Dog, Thanks a bunch for the info. Ya, I was able to figure out that it was the intermediate action so it might be a bit tougher. What I was wondering about though is if I could find the 4.4 length stock and move the front action hole to work, I would think this could be done without too much effort provided the rest is the same. Kind of like pre and post model 70's, but I'm not really up on the savages. I will take a peek at Boyd's. Was just hoping to find a factory one in need of some TLC to mess with, lol.

160, that would be great if you don't mind. Let me know what ya got.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
No problem. Im pretty sure the 4.5 action itself is longer than a 4.4 action. It’s not just the screw spacing that’s different. So that will also have the recoil lug further out.
Depending on the stock, if there’s enough stock material to grind out for the new recoil lug location it would work. You would just need to do a bedding job to finish it off.
That type of tinkering is fun.

If you don’t have a 4.4 action and need any measurements to compare let me know. I have a few and can measure them.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
First off, HOLY SMOKES! I didn't realize how many different action spacing and different mag wells there were. I went through a half a pick up load of Savage stocks and this was the only one with 4.5 action spacing. The angle of the picture makes the measurement look short but it is the best I could do. It is longer than the 4.4 actions. I found 4.4, 5 and 7's too. Geez. Does this look like the right one? The aluminum butt plate makes me think it is from a very early Savage.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by 160user; 08/21/23.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
That would be perfect, with the exception of it being set up for the bottom metal and not the hidden mag. I'm wondering if I could make it work with a little ingenuity though.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That stock just takes a flat plate nothing removeable. i think numrich has everything you need

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 007FJ, 16Racing, 62 invisible), 2,961 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,358
Posts18,488,022
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.