Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Figured at some point I’d get the GunBroker bad deal, but while I wait to see what the seller will do I’d like to reach out here to see what alternatives there might be. Here’s the issue …

Picked up a 12 gauge CZ Ringneck on GunBroker, pictures showed a really good condition overall Gun and advertised as great bores. After picking up from my FFL and doing a quick check, bores were dirty, no big deal, I wasn’t quite sure about the barrel lug when I did an overall check and removed the forearm and appeared as if the lug had in some way been reinforced with glue or epoxy, I wasn’t quite sure and didn’t seem right. So I took to my gunsmith for an inspection and overall check before taking out in the field. My gunsmith’s borescope shows damage in both the right and left barrels, and seems previous owner did a weld of the lug back to the barrels, and the weld burned through to the interior of both barrels making them completely unsafe and not usable.

While I wait to see what the seller makes right or GunBroker helps on buyer protection (usually a joke), my Gunsmith recommended calling CZ to see if they happen to have any replacement barrels (doubtful) or call Bailey to see if they make a drop-in tube, obviously in smaller gauge. I’m attaching all the pictures to show the issue, and curious if y’all have any other ideas. And yes, I get the lesson on buying on GunBroker …

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
They advertised as “great bores”. Those pics show OBVIOUS defects. Seller needs to give a refund. It’s not like it’s a rare gun, so I certainly wouldn’t spend much time trying to come up with a fix or replacement barrels.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FWIW, I bought a Redhead Premier AW that had issues, an overly tight action and barrels that had POIs 8” apart at the standard 40 yards. They re-fitted the action, but just sent me a test target showing patterns 4” apart at 20 yards, Duh!. Maybe okay for some uses, but not turkey hunting. Point being that if they had barrels lying around or were able or willing to effect barrel repairs or replacement, they sure didn’t give me that option. That experience really soured me on Turkish guns, though many seem just fine.

Bad as it is, I’d go after the seller, legally if it came to that. Good luck.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow.....sorry to hear that. I wonder why they didn't just silver solder the lug on like they were originally? Hopefully you can source a replacement barrel set. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
My advise: Do not do anything to the gun. Document all communications, pictures, etc. Request/demand a refund from the seller. If you don't immediately get a response from the seller get Gunbroker involved. I would probably get Gunbroker involved from the start anyway, since until you have your funds in hand you probably cannot rely on the word of the seller.
Do this as soon as possible. Like now.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you used charge card get them involved as well.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Refund Time, there are some scumbags on that site .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Refund Time, there are some scumbags on that site .

In this case, might be a dumbass scumbag. Who welds on a set of shotgun barrels? When they came loose, CZ would undoubtedly have repaired them or made it right somehow, but once the hillbilly repairman got involved, that avenue was closed.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[quote=B52RadarNav]Figured at some point I’d get the GunBroker bad deal, but while I wait to see what the seller will do I’d like to reach out here to see what alternatives there might be. Here’s the issue …

Picked up a 12 gauge CZ Ringneck on GunBroker, pictures showed a really good condition overall Gun and advertised as great bores. After picking up from my FFL and doing a quick check, bores were dirty, no big deal, I wasn’t quite sure about the barrel lug when I did an overall check and removed the forearm and appeared as if the lug had in some way been reinforced with glue or epoxy, I wasn’t quite sure and didn’t seem right. So I took to my gunsmith for an inspection and overall check before taking out in the field. My gunsmith’s borescope shows damage in both the right and left barrels, and seems previous owner did a weld of the lug back to the barrels, and the weld burned through to the interior of both barrels making them completely unsafe and not usable.

While I wait to see what the seller makes right or GunBroker helps on buyer protection (usually a joke), my Gunsmith recommended calling CZ to see if they happen to have any replacement barrels (doubtful) or call Bailey to see if they make a drop-in tube, obviously in smaller gauge. I’m attaching all the pictures to show the issue, and curious if y’all have any other ideas. And yes, I get the lesson on buying on GunBroker …

There's no lesson here. Those are not "great" bores. It is very likely the seller had no idea what to look for. Just because you are selling on GB doesn't mean you are a gun person. There are not requirements to sell. If the seller does not refund this I would hammer them on feedback.

Ryan

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
At the end of the day, it will come to negative feedback on the seller and filing with my credit card company and that’s about it. I’m waiting for a reply from the seller on a refund but of course he is not responding. GunBroker has a dispute process to file for buyer protection, but the timing and all their terms and conditions - I doubt this will go anywhere. It is what it is and I’ll see what plays out - I still have a roof over my head and food on my plate.

Called CZ and as expected they have no replacement barrels as it is discontinued, Midwest Gun Works no longer services and had no options, but talked with Jake at Briley down in TX and can fab removable tubes in 20 or 28 so I can at least get some use out of this gun, but won’t be cheap.

I’ll keep pressing on the refund, will be loaded for bear when it comes to feedback. Thanks for the comments all around, appreciate the help.

IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Good luck. Maybe you can soften the blow a bit by selling the wood, here or on eBay/etc.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Refund now in progress from the seller - in a much better place this evening.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good news indeed.

Jim

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Suggest, onltvwith the funds in hand first, send that beauty right back, Return Receipt Requested. And insure it, so it gets there, no sense in trying the fates since you got the ball rolling down hill.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

164 members (7887mm08, allscopedup, 35, 240NMC, 10Glocks, 14 invisible), 1,534 guests, and 854 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,603
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.