Print Thread
Hop To
P
prkguy Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
For those of you folks who reload for the .30 Remington how do you go about trimming the cases to the proper length? I have searched all over the Internet but cannot find anyone who makes a case trimmer specific to this caliber (not surprising). I have some once fired brass from buffalo arms but after another loading they may be too long. Any help you can provide on this is most appreciated. Thanks! Mike

Mike027
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Get a lee 30/06 cutter and stud and shorten the stud so it will bottom out on the inside of the case web while it is just kissing the case mouth of your once fired brass
No need for a shellholder just hold the case in your hand and turn the cutter with a drill at low speed

P
prkguy Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
That's a great idea. Thank you very much. I have one in my reloading tools. I'm assuming these are hardened steel and not stainless because I see a few rust spots on the one I have. What's the best way to cut the stud accurately? Maybe a Dremel with a cutting wheel?

Mike027
Bug Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I think I would uniform th flash hole first, if going that route. How close is a 300 savage? May just have to shorten the pin? Failing that, a 308? Just other ideas.

P
prkguy Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I went ahead and uniformed the flash holes and full length resized 3 pieces of once fired brass (Buffalo Arms/Grafs). The resized cases measured 2.042" on my digital caliper. The info I found on the internet indicates the trim to length for the .30 Rem is 2.040". It appears that the Lee trimmer case length gauge for the .300 savage and the .308 would be too short.

I have several rounds of old Remington factory ammo with 170 grain round nose bullets. I did my best to measure the length of the case on that loaded ammo and it seems to average about 2.026". So that makes me wonder if a Lee case length gauge for a 30-30 would work. My Speer manual indicates that the trim too length for the 30-30 is 2.029". I don't know if that particular case length gauge trims to that length but it must be close. I don't want to cut the brass too short but maybe there is some leeway here. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks all for the assistance.

Mike

Mike027
IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by prkguy
I have several rounds of old Remington factory ammo with 170 grain round nose bullets. I did my best to measure the length of the case on that loaded ammo and it seems to average about 2.026". So that makes me wonder if a Lee case length gauge for a 30-30 would work. My Speer manual indicates that the trim too length for the 30-30 is 2.029". I don't know if that particular case length gauge trims to that length but it must be close. I don't want to cut the brass too short but maybe there is some leeway here. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks all for the assistance.

Mike

This would have been my suggestion, as according to the reloading manuals the two cartridges are very similar except for the rim.

I started shooting a 14 in 30 Rem when I was 10 years old, though I have never loaded for it.

I do all my trimming on an RCBS trim pro. The RCBS chart says the #19 shell holder is appropriate for 30 Rem, as well as 6.8 SPC, and .224 Valkyrie.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use a couple of old trimmers from Redding and Forester. They have collet shell head holders that will grip just about any cartridge, you just need the correct pilot. I use them for obsolete metrics that I load for.

Last edited by erich; 08/21/23.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Factory ammo from the era of those guns ran a bit shorter than they were when they were last produced on a regular basis. Go with the shorter length and your ammo will function better. RN or FN bullets only , the spiral mag tube does not allow for the use of spire point ammo. They all had a hang tag tied to the trigger guard at the factory that said round nose bullets only.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Get yourself a simple hand trimmer, a .308 pilot and shell holder for said trimmer, trim the case to 2.040” and be done with it.

P
prkguy Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I picked up a 30-30 case length gauge and it's seems to work pretty well. It trimmed my 3 pieces of resized brass to 2.033" so I think we can call it good on that length. I see Hornady has a 150 grain round nose bullet that should work. In fact I think it's the same bullet that is in the rounds I purchased from Buffalo Arms. The local gun shop didn't have any on the shelf but Midway has them in stock. Thank you all for the help on this endeavor. Take care. Mike

Mike027
IC B3

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
What Castle Rock said is kind of what I do except i use the Lee trimmer pilot for 30-30 without modifications. Just chuck it up in a battery powered drill and trim away. Can do several hundred per hour with this rig.

P
prkguy Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
There's not much of a rim on the cases but I can still hold it in the shell holder ok. I'm pretty happy with the 30-30 gauge and Im planning on having this rifle with me in my deer blind on November 15.

Pancho which bullet do you use?

Mike027
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Lee case trimmer for 6.8 SPC cases would provide you a correct shell holder. 10mm or .40 S&W pistol trimmers probably would also, all 3 are based on the .30 Remington case.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
P
prkguy Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Awesome! Thanks for the info!

Mike027
P
prkguy Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Just for future reference for .30 rem reloaders. I picked up a 10mm trimmer a few minutes ago and the shell holder worked perfectly on the .30 rem cases.

Mike027

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (10Glocks, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,519 guests, and 1,438 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,194
Posts18,485,016
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.