Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by spence1875
I have had great CS from Zeiss in the past. I would go up the chain. If the scope has never been opened other than by them building it there are only two ways fungus would get in it.

1. Manufacturing issue with contamination in the tube when it was built.

2. Later one of the seals went bad and moisture got it in. Again that is a defect on their part.

Keep us posted. Spence

The Diavaris weren't totally sealed: The insides of the adjustment turrets were open to the air once you took the caps off. In fact I am pretty sure none of the Zeiss scopes were totally sealed until the introduction of the first Conquests in the late 1990s.

This was common with European scopes for many years--except for Kahles, which starting sealing everything including the turrets in the 1960s.

I know this partly due to touring all the Zeiss factories with several other American optics writers in 1993. It turned out they mostly wanted us to go back and tell American hunters they were stupid for not buying more Zeiss scopes, because they were SO much better than anything else.

But one day we had an interesting conversation--after finding out the turrets weren't sealed. This was initiated by Jim Carmichel, for decades the shooting columnist for Outdoor Life.

He asked why they didn't seal the turrets, because if the turret caps were removed they would allow not only humidity but other microscopic stuff inside the scopes.

The head German guy then asked, "But vy vould you effer remove them?"

This may seem like an odd question, but back then (and probably still to a certain extent today) the average German hunter was pretty wealthy. They had to be, because it's very expensive to hunt over there. Consequently they also tended to buy expensive rifles and scopes--and had their gunsmith do all the work, including mounting the scope and sighting-in the rifle, usually on an indoor range. So his question was due to vast cultural differences.

I explained that American hunters usually did sight-in their own rifles, and often tweaked the adjustments after traveling to other places that might be far more humid, such as coastal Alaska.

We also explained that many American hunters preferred lighter scopes, because many didn't hunt from hochsitzes (high seats, usually permanent treestands), which could be seen almost everywhere in Germany as we traveled by bus between the three Zeiss factories. Most Americans also didn't want to pay as much for their scopes.

It was hard to gauge the reaction of the Zeiss folks, but a few years later they introduced the first Conquests, which were much lighter, and aldo less expensive--partly because they were mostly made by Meopta, with only the erector-lens assembly being made by Zeiss.

Swarovski also didn't seal their scope turrets until around 2000 or so, and were also pressured into it by American writers who grew weary of doing "dunk tests" with their scopes with the caps removed, and seeing streams of bubbles coming out through the turrets. (Dunking was one of the standard things done back then when testing scopes for magazine articles, partly because a lot of cheaper Asian scopes had started showing up.) I know one of the writers deliberately left a scope underwater for longer than needed for the test--and there was water inside the scope when it was returned to Swarovski.

that kind of confirms what I was going to say. or ask. how does a fungus start forming unless it can suck in moisture and Air..

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Good insight as always from John. I have a 90s era Tasco Titan that is still going strong, hope that one is sealed well. Lol

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It’s a sad day when companies selling Chinese made scopes will happily provide vastly better CS than Zeiss.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The Germans are pretty damm sure they are smarter than us. (including my next door neighbor) She told me once she was afraid of guns because her Father had a rifle GO OFF in the back seat of his car while she was with him !!

"not too grumpy"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Teal
From a pure science/curiosity perspective - what's the fungus living on in there?
Pure speculation but at a guess the glue in a multi-element lens. I have no expertise but long ago and far away I saw a lot of cheaper used around boats binoculars with mold issues. One of the guys who had done the job in the service offered cleaning and light polishing where the glass, usually prisms in binoculars, was etched. Glues would darken with time and visible light is ionizing radiation - think desert glass.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ClarkEMyers
From a pure science/curiosity perspective - what's the fungus living on in there?
Pure speculation but at a guess the glue in a multi-element lens. I have no expertise but long ago and far away I saw a lot of cheaper used around boats binoculars with mold issues. One of the guys who had done the job in the service offered cleaning and light polishing where the glass, usually prisms in binoculars, was etched. Glues would darken with time and visible light is ionizing radiation - think desert glass.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

DigitalDan,

That is good info! I’ll give them a call.

Thanks,

Leftybolt

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by ClarkEMyers

Clark,

From what I understand due my reference books on optics (along with, of course, the Internet) many glues in early multi-element lenses were "organic," which would probably encourage the growth of other "organic" stuff--including fungus.

John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fburgtx
“Not considered a defect in materials/worksmanship”??

How the hell else do MOLD (fungus) SPORES get inside a scope??

Unless they have reason to think you fished it out of deep water, this is pretty ridiculous. Any of you guys aware of this being a problem with 60 year-old Redfield/Weaver/Leupold scopes???

Weavers, yes...

Too many German scopes of all flavors were expensive Petri Dishes.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by fburgtx
“Not considered a defect in materials/worksmanship”??

How the hell else do MOLD (fungus) SPORES get inside a scope??

Unless they have reason to think you fished it out of deep water, this is pretty ridiculous. Any of you guys aware of this being a problem with 60 year-old Redfield/Weaver/Leupold scopes???

Weavers, yes...

Too many German scopes of all flavors were expensive Petri Dishes.

American scopes started being sealed earlier, thanks to research done during WWII by the U.S. Navy. Leupold was the first--after Marcus Leupold, the co-owner Leupold-Stevens, started hunting around 1950. At that time the firm made surveying telescopes--which didn't encounter such a wide variety of "field conditions." Marcus asked what scopes were best, and of course the consensus was European scopes, since they were more optically advanced. But his "top-notch" Euro-scope fogged inside, which of course could happen in Oregon.

So he decided to make a more weather-proof scope--and did. But as noted earlier, it took a while for European scopes to catch up, despite their often-superior optics. Yes, early Weaver and other scopes weren't sealed, but by around 1960 just about all American-made (along with "American" scopes made in Japan, such as Bushnells) were totally sealed.

Being unsealed doesn't matter all that much in, say, the arid West. But it does when hunting elsewhere--especially if the elevation and humidity varies. Which is why Eastern hunters experienced more "fogged" scopes.

But it could easily happen with some early American scopes, including the popular Lyman Alaskan "All-Weather" scopes, because like European scopes they didn't have internally-sealed turrets. Instead the only difference between the previous Lyman scopes and the All-Weathers was turret caps. The earlier Lymans (like early Weavers) had exposed adjustments.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
zyclon B will cure it.

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Well, Zeiss won't touch the scope. So, they are sending it back to me.

They did however give me the option to trade it in on a Conquest V4 3-12x44 if I want to in the future....Quite honestly, I don't. I’m just not a fan of bigger, 30mm tube scopes. The little Diavari is just a great little scope that is hard to find anymore, especially in the "New, Old Stock" unmounted condition mine is.

Having said that, Erik Baldwin from Mountain Optics in Oceanside, CA emailed me today. He says they definately can fix the problem. I have no experience with this company but it sounds like they have a good reputation for quality restoration work of vintage optics including Euro glass from Zeiss, Swarovski, and Leica.

I will be contacting him shortly to discuss this more...

So, it sounds like I have some options.

Thank y’all for the input.

Leftybolt

Last edited by Leftybolt; 08/24/23.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Leftybolt
Well, Zeiss won't touch the scope. So, they are sending it back to me.

They did however give me the option to trade it in on a Conquest V4 3-12x44 if I want to in the future....Quite honestly, I don't. I’m just not a fan of bigger, 30mm tube scopes. The little Diavari is just a great little scope that is hard to find anymore, especially in the "New, Old Stock" unmounted condition mine is.

Having said that, Erik Baldwin from Mountain Optics in Oceanside, CA emailed me today. He says they definately can fix the problem. I have no experience with this company but it sounds like they have a good reputation for quality restoration work of vintage optics including Euro glass from Zeiss, Swarovski, and Leica.

I will be contacting him shortly to discuss this more...

So, it sounds like I have some options.

Thank you all for the input.

Leftybolt

Good luck Lefty. I don't know if I'd trade it for a V4 either. The conquest I sent in had better glass than the V4 I received as a replacement. However, the V4 was valued at 2x what I had in the Conquest. I ended up selling it to a guy that really wanted it. He's real happy with it, but I won't let him look through my Nighforce scopes. Sounds like you want yours repaired, so that may be the better route to take. Those older Diavari's are pretty nice scopes.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I just saw a Scope like the op’s for $300.00. I almost bought it, if anything is wrong with it, Zeiss would exchange it for a $700 V4.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1936M71, 60 invisible), 2,512 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,196
Posts18,485,102
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.