Hop To
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Indeed John, thank you.

It amazes me that someone can actually "hate" any cartridge. I just don't get it. I don't own a 6.5 Creedmoor and I doubt I ever will. Not because I hate it, or its hype, or the weird unfathomable connotations applied to owners/shooters of it, it's just that I have a nifty 6.5x55 Ruger 1A and that's enough 6.5 anythings for me (well, maybe not if another 6.5x54 Mannlicher-Schoenauer winked at me). I have enough other guns to mess with, such that I doubt I'll have enough time to fully understand them all before I shuffle off this mortal coil.

To each his own but I do wish that the haters would at least learn to spell "Creedmoor" properly though.

Well, I wasn't going to point out how many haters can't spell Creedmoor, but....

I might buy another 6.5x54 M-S carbine if the right one came along! The one I owned and hunted with for a few years wouldn't average better than about 1-1/2" to 2" at 100 yards, but then again I was shooting it with irons and it killed deer fine. (Though I actually found one of the highly-touted 160 round-noses didn't hold together very well, even at 2200 fps MV....)

I still never know what's going to appeal to me--apparently one basic symptom of rifle loonyism.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HoosierHawk
Yup. Which is why I stated early in this thread, if I didn’t already have a .260 Rem (which is my favorite rifle) when the 6.5 CM came out, I’d have built one.

I appreciate a versatile, accurate, mild recoiling cartridge.

Hard to understand the vitriol amongst supposed riflemen toward those three things, eh?

I'm simply not capable of a man bun but I'll still stand with the man bun wearers – they deserve more credit in understanding rifle and ballistic basics more than the cantankerous crowd are affording them. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by HoosierHawk
Yup. Which is why I stated early in this thread, if I didn’t already have a .260 Rem (which is my favorite rifle) when the 6.5 CM came out, I’d have built one.

I appreciate a versatile, accurate, mild recoiling cartridge.

Hard to understand the vitriol amongst supposed riflemen toward those three things, eh?

I'm simply not capable of a man bun but I'll still stand with the man bun wearers – they deserve more credit in understanding rifle and ballistic basics more than the cantankerous crowd are affording them. smile
I know quite a few deer hunters hereabouts who have bought 6.5 Creedmoors over the last few years. The odd thing is, not one man bun among them. This man bun thing must be regional or something ?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Well, the major emphasis for around a century in smokeless rifle cartridges was increased muzzle velocity--which is an easier standard to understand--and to cling to.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by MAC
A person can't because I really don't care what someone says. But the entire hype about the 6.5 Creedmoore put me off it especially when I looked at the loading data and saw that it doesn't do a damn thing that my 6.5x55 Swede cannot do. As a matter of fact I can load the Swede to levels the 6.5 Creedmore cannot begin to attain. The 6.5 Creedmore has benefitted from a lot of hype and it filled a niche that didn't exist in the first place. The 6.5x55 Swede, 260 Rem, 6.5x57 Mauser, 6.5 Rem Mag and 264 Win mag all beat it. But they didn't have the hype.

Have pointed out a number times on the Campfire and elsewhere that the point of the 6.5 Creedmoor is NOT beating the muzzle velocity of similar-sized rounds like the .260 and 6.5x55. Instead it began as a target round, with "modern" case and chamber features that resulted in finer accuracy--even with common, inexpensive factory ammo.

EVERY guy I've met who made your same criticisms has been a handloader, usually older,

BLAH, BALH, BLAH. Here's a newsflash, the thread is about what turns individuals off. I really do not care what you think or say. I got turned off by the continuous hype of the Creed. You didn't, I did. Last time I looked it is still a somewhat free nation where individuals can speak their minds. The bottom line is the Barnes loading data for the Creed and the Swede with a 140 gr bullet are very, very close and there is no advantage for me buying a Creed and setting the Swede aside. I haven't shot factory ammo in decades so I don't care what factory ammo does. For me, the Creed is not something I am buying off on.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by MAC
A person can't because I really don't care what someone says. But the entire hype about the 6.5 Creedmoore put me off it especially when I looked at the loading data and saw that it doesn't do a damn thing that my 6.5x55 Swede cannot do. As a matter of fact I can load the Swede to levels the 6.5 Creedmore cannot begin to attain. The 6.5 Creedmore has benefitted from a lot of hype and it filled a niche that didn't exist in the first place. The 6.5x55 Swede, 260 Rem, 6.5x57 Mauser, 6.5 Rem Mag and 264 Win mag all beat it. But they didn't have the hype.

Have pointed out a number times on the Campfire and elsewhere that the point of the 6.5 Creedmoor is NOT beating the muzzle velocity of similar-sized rounds like the .260 and 6.5x55. Instead it began as a target round, with "modern" case and chamber features that resulted in finer accuracy--even with common, inexpensive factory ammo.

EVERY guy I've met who made your same criticisms has been a handloader, usually older,

BLAH, BALH, BLAH. Here's a newsflash, the thread is about what turns individuals off. I really do not care what you think or say. I got turned off by the continuous hype of the Creed. You didn't, I did. Last time I looked it is still a somewhat free nation where individuals can speak their minds. The bottom line is the Barnes loading data for the Creed and the Swede with a 140 gr bullet are very, very close and there is no advantage for me buying a Creed and setting the Swede aside. I haven't shot factory ammo in decades so I don't care what factory ammo does. For me, the Creed is not something I am buying off on.

Congratulations!

John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Lots of Redneck-isms I don’t subscribe to, the 30-06 being one of them.

The cartridge stands on its own merit. You’ll NEVER EVER find me owning one.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have a Savage Axis in 6.5 Creed. Why ? Because I bought it on sale at SW and Savage had a very generous rebate on them at the time. As has been said "Make me an offer I can't refuse." It works well and is very accurate for an inexpensive rifle, and I can change barrels any time I want. What's not to like ?

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by MAC

Another classic example of Naval intelligence. Not.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
[quote=ingwe].270 and 6.5 creed Gay and gayer...

Have always wondered why you consider the .270 gay, when it's most famous "advocate" was also a great fan of the 7x57...

John Steinbeck
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Have always wondered why you consider the .270 gay, when it's most famous "advocate" was also a great fan of the 7x57...

JOC was gay ?

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's interesting , every time I tell people that the Creedmoor started out as a target round for National course shooting, I get deer in the headlights look! LOL
Holy smokes they even put the load data on the box!!
I put one together as a target rifle for messing around with shooting sling'irons in our local steel matches and had a lot of fun with it, and it was a super accurate combination out to 1,000 meters.
However as a starting rifle , or a deer rifle for someone who does not handload, it is also a pretty good combination of available ammo and rifles.
But as you stated before MD, it ain't magic when compared to other 6.5's, but then , neither are the other 6.5's, it's the nut behind the bolt that counts most.
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep!

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by MAC

BLAH, BALH, BLAH.For me, the Creed is not something I am buying off on.
Sure you are, it just comes in a different wrapper.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
For me...any of the Weatherby's.
I worked as a Elk and Moose guide in the 80's, most of the hunter's were Americans, many were sucked into the Weatherby vortex. ....Good thing I packed a rifle, a .270 wcf or a 30/06. More than a few times I handed it over to the dude hunter.
Those Mark V's were scatterguns...imo.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Craigster

JOC was gay ?

JOC could have kicked my dog and I'd still like the 270. He has little to do with it for me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For some reason or another, I have never had a burning desire to own a rifle in the 280 Remington. Maybe it stems from Jim Carmichael once writing something to the effect that JOC would have picked the 280 over the 270 had the 280 been around back then. I felt that Carmichael knew he'd always be playing second fiddle to O'Connor, and that was just his way of blowing off steam. But the fact is that the 280 is a fine cartridge, with absolutely no reason to be biased towards it.

For the record, I own both a 270 and a couple of 6.5 Creedmoors and I consider people who DON'T have them to be the ones who are gay. I also have a 30-06, even though I've never killed anything bigger than a groundhog with it, and probably never will. It's really kind of silly to have a bias towards something just because of another person.

Last edited by JamesJr; 08/23/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Originally Posted by SuperCub
The Germans ruined the 8x57 for me.
I don't blame you. Thank you for your service 🙏

Thank-you but I didn't serve in any armed conflict, but I did have several family members that did serve in WWI and II.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by MAC

Oh for gawd's sake - tell me you've got trouble seeing the forest through the trees without telling me you're having trouble seeing the forest through the trees. Name any of the cartridges you listed above that can be purchased as loaded ammunition (with a wide selection) from nearly any gun shop right now.

You're a handloader as are many here (self-included). Still, it's quite amusing you're not comprehending the 6.5 Creedmoor popularity when likely 75-80% (maybe more) of shooters DO NOT handload. It's not a whiz-bang-performance or comparative thing with most.

WWP53D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I like all cartridges.....from the 458 Win Mag I just acquired, all the way down to the 5.7x28 (that one's tough to reload!), and everything in between. I don't have a 6.5 Creedmoor, but I do have a 6.5x55. I have several 30-06s, but just recently got my first .308 - in an AR platform to boot! I like beautiful walnut stocks and I also like QUALITY synthetic stocks. It's funny that we get bent out of shape about this cartridge is better than that cartridge, this rifle is better than that rifle, but at the end of the day, we ALL like our cartridges and rifles (and handguns and shotguns) so we have something in common.

There's room for everybody in this big world of firearms ownership - just glad I live here in the good ol USA where we're free to choose what we shoot, when we shoot, and mostly where we shoot. it's not like that anywhere else on this rock.....

Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (257_X_50, AKislander, 7mm_Loco, AdventureBound, 13 invisible), 1,519 guests, and 812 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,063
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.