Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Lots of good virtue signalling going on here. Way to represent Team R
Paul: Dick's turned away from their original customer base and that base felt disrespected and also saddened that a formerly decent source of firearms and shooting supplies bent to the whims of females (of both sexes) and discontinued firearms and shooting supplies.

Apparently the management has become so feckless they cannot deal with thieves run amok in there stores which will further degrade their customer base. Now the lady soccer moms won't feel comfortable in the store with criminals openly appropriating the goods while Dicks employees stand by and watch..

Yes there is a certain amount of satisfaction being experienced by the former customers that were into shooting and hunting. It is to be expected.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by EdM

Market reactions are insignificant blips in the grand scheme of things. Smart money would buy right now.

Are you buying?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Repeating the pattern of Herman's Sporting Goods.

Growing up, they were the giant sporting goods chain that everyone went to for anything sport related, to include a hunting, fishing, and camping department (where you found the gun counter). I went to work in that department when I was started college. The place was wildly popular, and almost always full of customers

Then, in the 1990s, they fell under pressure to remove all guns and ammunition from their stores, and did so. Almost immediately, the places became ghost towns, and within a year or two later, the corporation filed chapter 11.
and the sad thing is .If they had reversd thieselves and sold guns and hunting stuff again , they might have stayed afloat and came back.But big bussness are like people ,they would rather go under than admitt they was wrong ..seen the managment at my old factory do the same thing before they shut down . for 5 years everyone told them they was doing things wrong and needed to go back to the way we had done it before .would they listen...nooooo.... right before corperate shut us down ,i will say and give the plant manager this, he told us yea we was right . too damn late then

Last edited by rem shooter; 08/22/23.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hastings
Mr. Paul: The stock holders lost 1/4 of their money today. Well over 2 billion dollars. Down $35.51 today, regained 51 cents in the after market.

That's why I think now is the time to buy. Perhaps give it another day or two to see if it finds a deeper bottom. Dick's long term performance has been solid. It'll rebound.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Buh bye.

Last edited by 700LTR; 08/23/23.
IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Hope the one by me goes out and is replaced by Academy! That'll be the only way I'll walk through those doors again!

Last edited by DiabloBlanco; 08/23/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dicks will go the way of every retailer who turned their backs on hunters and gun owners. Bankruptcy.

Sears
Kmart
Sports authority
Hermans

They all stopped selling guns and hunting equipment, all went bankrupt.

It's a reflection on the management mindset, and pissing off half their customer base.

I'll never step foot in a Dicks, let alone spend a penny there.

Last edited by hicountry; 08/23/23.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by DiabloBlanco
Hope the one by me goes out and is replaced by Academy! That'll be the only way I'll walk through those doors again!

Academy here moved within 200 yards of a Dicks. Academy is doing very well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hastings
Mr. Paul: The stock holders lost 1/4 of their money today. Well over 2 billion dollars. Down $35.51 today, regained 51 cents in the after market.

That's why I think now is the time to buy. Perhaps give it another day or two to see if it finds a deeper bottom. Dick's long term performance has been solid. It'll rebound.
Down another $2.08 per share in the pre market 2 minutes ago. It will eventually bump up a little like Sears did in the beginning of their demise.

They are in trouble and are blaming it on theft but I bet it goes deeper than that.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Eat a DICK,Jeff-o's favorite store!

Rehab is for quitters!
THEY are all guilty!
Name one honest politician!
DEFINE Treason.
God bless the USA
Democrats ARE the plague!
RINO'S need to be hunted!
Who's a bigger puzzy than Paul Ryan? Mike Pence? John Kerry ?
REELECT NOBODY! Except Trump
IC B3

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Didn't Dicks own a hunting and fishing store chain for a while. I remember going in one just north of Pittsburg, area called Cranberry, and another in Charlottesville VA but for the life of me I cannot remember the name.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by hicountry
Dicks will go the way of every retailer who turned their backs on hunters and gun owners. Bankruptcy.

Sears
Kmart
Sports authority
Hermans

They all stopped selling guns and hunting equipment, all went bankrupt.

It's a reflection on the management mindset, and pissing off half their customer base.

I'll never step foot in a Dicks, let alone spend a penny there.

Target is another big box retailer that stopped selling guns and hunting gear, back in the late '80s, I think. They stopped selling toy guns (other than Nerf guns) in the '90s.

Target hasn't exactly been thriving the past couple years.

The decision to stop selling firearms by a national retailer generally doesn't affect the bottom line that much as far as profits from the product itself. But it does indicate there is a corporate culture focused on things other than customer satisfaction and profits.

Retailers generally don't do well if they don't focus on those two things.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Walmart still sells guns only because they don't want to alienate their customers. The overhead costs and floor space involved would be more profitable if devoted to other products.

But, flawed as Walmart is, the corporate board recognizes that many in their customer base would minimize their shopping time there if they "cancelled" gun sales.

They still understand they need customers to be profitable.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
[quote=Hastings]Mr. Paul: The stock holders lost 1/4 of their money today. Well over 2 billion dollars. Down $35.51 today, regained 51 cents in the after market.

That's why I think now is the time to buy. Perhaps give it another day or two to see if it finds a deeper bottom. Dick's long term performance has been solid. It'll rebound.[/quote]
I'm curious to why you think that will happen?

Life is good live it while you can.
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Others kept the fishing gear, no firearms or ammo at all. I will go to buy fishing stuff but that's it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
[quote=Hastings]Mr. Paul: The stock holders lost 1/4 of their money today. Well over 2 billion dollars. Down $35.51 today, regained 51 cents in the after market.

That's why I think now is the time to buy. Perhaps give it another day or two to see if it finds a deeper bottom. Dick's long term performance has been solid. It'll rebound.[/quote]
I'm curious to why you think that will happen?
Maybe he thinks that because they are big into bicycles.

I think they are on the way out. They apparently cannot keep the customers and employees from taking the merchandise without paying for it.

And besides that they insulted the hunting crowd who is also the fishing crowd. It would not have hurt them to sell a few guns and scopes etcetera.

And if you want high end sports wear UPS will deliver it.

It might surprise the management to discover the employees are in league with whoever is making off with "free" stuff.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Went to Dick's a couple times when I was living in Wichita Ks. wasn't impressed don't like that store.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I would wager a lot of stolen Nike and Adidas shoes never make it to the showroom floor before finding their way onto ebay, via employee theft.

I'm waiting for high-end basketball shoes to start coming as microchipped, serialized pairs.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I went into a Dick's store in MO a number of years ago and have no clue why anyone would shop there, I saw very limited guns and hunting equipment, lots of clothes and not much else.

Dave

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by RDW
I went into a Dick's store in MO a number of years ago and have no clue why anyone would shop there, I saw very limited guns and hunting equipment, lots of clothes and not much else.

Golf clubs. Lots of golf clubs.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,494 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,063
Posts18,482,486
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.