Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Several gas stations in our neighborhood have gone up for sale in the last 10 years or so. For some reason I've wondered about buying them when they did.

We're going to move from this Godforsaken part of the country when the last kid graduates HS in 10 years or so. Buying one was a thought since I won't quite be retirement age when we move.

Thoughts?

Camp is where you make it.

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
I have been told the fuel side of those small operations is the loss leader, without sufficient inside sales you won’t make it. It seems the big chains buying great amounts of fuel under short term contract would hurt the little guy in a big way, along with buying at a better price the inside items due to bulk purchase as well.

Just a thought, I have never personally owned one or a franchise of one.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Are you from India? If not, gas stations aren’t for you.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
This was my wife’s fathers place.

We raised our family in Temple.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A gas station owner that I was friends with and did some work for some years back once told me he only made 3 to 5 cents a gallon on the gas, and a day's receipts weren't enough to cover his payroll for the day. The gas is just to get you inside to buy beer, chips, and whatever else you "need" from a convenience store.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Feral_American
A gas station owner that I was friends with and did some work for some years back once told me he only made 3 to 5 cents a gallon on the gas, and a day's receipts weren't enough to cover his payroll for the day. The gas is just to get you inside to buy beer, chips, and whatever else you "need" from a convenience store.

Yep, and pay-at-the-pump screwed that model royally.

Last edited by Stammster; 08/23/23.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave

You married into it.

Me

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Teal

You married into it.

If that’s how you wanna put it.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Teal

You married into it.

If that’s how you wanna put it.

I don't have some way to put it.

That's the way it is.

Me

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Worked at one back in my youth but never have owned one myself nor ever wanted to.

As for the unusually high number of gas stations going up for sale in your area I'd be curious if these were just gas stations only or convenience store/gas stations. Point is, apparently gas stations only can not make enough profit from just selling fuel and basic automobile products and service alone . I would think, too, location would be critical -- a high traffic area with convenient easy entrance/exit location. Near as possible to interstate on/off ramps would be a big plus, as well.

My best guess as to the selloff is it could be there's simply too much competition in a given area as even convenience store / gas stations have pretty much saturated the market. We have 3 within three blocks of each other here in the little two-stoplight town I live in.

IC B3

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by joken2
Worked at one back in my youth but never have owned one myself nor ever wanted to.

As for the unusually high number of gas stations going up for sale in your area I'd be curious if these were just gas stations only or convenience store/gas stations.

How do you come up with "unusually high number of gas stations going up for sale in your area?"

I said there were "several" meaning more than 1. The "unusually high" number is 2....over the course of 10 years. They're 4 miles apart. They both sell gas at the same price, as do the others in the area. One has a carwash and one doesn't.

They were both successful before and after the sale. The most recent one was sold because the owner is retiring. Both of the ones that were sold were privately owned, not a chain. There are 2 chain stations between them, which I would say they can't compete with in sales of goods inside the store. But price per gallon is the same at all 4 stations.

I'm not interested in buying one where we live. Hell, I may not be interested at all. That's why I'm asking the question.

I'd be looking in small towns, most likely in SD.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Gotta have a gimmick- - - - -convenience store stuff like beer, chips, and Slim Jims, a deli, or the big one here in Tennessee close to the state line, lottery tickets. Every time the Powerball total gets big there's a line all the way out the door of Alabama people throwing away their whole paycheck trying to get rich quick. Gas sales are just an afterthought.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I was in the wholesale fuel business for 25 years, and drove a bobtail delivery truck for my dad's company that he sold in 1984. The reports about thin margins on fuel sales are true. You basically have no choice but to match prices with other retailers in the area if you want store traffic. You can "only get what you get" at the pump as far as margins, and it is a high volume low profit part of the equation. The biggest money maker no matter if it's a chain, mom and pop store, etc is the food. If you have a good grill/deli/pizza, or whatever that is where the money is. Fountain drinks offer a huge profit margin as well.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I managed a Mobil station in 1970-1971 and Mobil had no problems screwing the crap out of their dealers on gasoline sales. Every two weeks the Mobil rep would come by to collect for the previous load of fuel. This was back in the days when Mobil credit cards were run through an imprinter and the customer kept his copy and the dealer kept his. The rep would total up all the credit card receipts then tack on 3% of the credit card total of what I owed him. So Mobil was fleecing the dealer for 3% on every gas transaction which was paid for by the customer using Mobil's own issued credit card. The only way to stay in business back then was to sell a lot of TBA(tires, batteries, accessories). Mobil was finally successful in driving all their independents out of business and replacing them with company owned stores.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Gotta have a gimmick- - - - -convenience store stuff like beer, chips, and Slim Jims, a deli, or the big one here in Tennessee close to the state line, lottery tickets. Every time the Powerball total gets big there's a line all the way out the door of Alabama people throwing away their whole paycheck trying to get rich quick. Gas sales are just an afterthought.

They all sell lotto tickets around here...in the midwest in general. I was thinking along the lines of a Saturday car show, HS carwash fundraiser type of things if I ran the joint.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Stammster

Yep, but I refuse to use pay at the pump personally. Risk of card hackers being one reason, and I don't like a hold placed on my money the other reason. I go inside and use my card for gas, and usually buy something else too.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I was in the wholesale fuel business for 25 years, and drove a bobtail delivery truck for my dad's company that he sold in 1984. The reports about thin margins on fuel sales are true. You basically have no choice but to match prices with other retailers in the area if you want store traffic. You can "only get what you get" at the pump as far as margins, and it is a high volume low profit part of the equation. The biggest money maker no matter if it's a chain, mom and pop store, etc is the food. If you have a good grill/deli/pizza, or whatever that is where the money is. Fountain drinks offer a huge profit margin as well.

Fountain drinks and the best coffee I could get would be the plan. Not much sucks worse than needing a coffee and getting schitty, burnt coffee.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Stammster

Yep, but I refuse to use pay at the pump personally. Risk of card hackers being one reason, and I don't like a hold placed on my money the other reason. I go inside and use my card for gas, and usually buy something else too.

I'm the same unless they're closed inside. I like to go in, grab a coffee and flirt with the sales ladies.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
A good look at their books might be a place to start.

I'm guessing if you liked it for a pastime it would be OK, but the ROI just wouldn't be there as a viable business.

Selling in the future to get your initial capital back might be a challenge.

Just a WAG.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Drive offs, low rent help, spills, low rent help, under-age sales by low rent help...

I'd rather be a training dummy for low rent bouncers...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (16penny, 1234, 160user, 06hunter59, 2500HD, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 1,940 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,886
Posts18,497,845
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.