-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OTOH, some of these places do have decent coffee and donuts...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Big C's in Lake Manawa had great BBQ...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can't imagine the joys of managing the workforce to run a gas station.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by johnw
Big C's in Lake Manawa had great BBQ...

I think Big C retired off the sales of BBQ and beer when Mid America built Manawa Unit 4...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The LBD's who own most of the convenience store/gas stations around here have the low rent help situation covered- - - - -everybody in the family including middle school age kids man the cash register- - - - -mostly for little or no pay!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'd look for one that has a grill inside. The smell alone would drawl people in.

BTW several is normally more than two.

“No one in hell can ever say I went to Christ and He rejected me.

C.H. Spurgeon
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
My dad owned one and fed us and paid the bills for 24 years.
As has been stated, basically 0 income from fuel sales. This week you get a load of fuel for $3 a gallon and the next day the guy down the street gets a load for $2.89 you’re going to have to match his price and take it in the shorts for a bit to keep the store traffic flowing. Maybe next time around the roles are reversed.

Fountain drinks used to be a major money maker. For 12-15 years dad sold 20 and 32 ounce fountain pops for 50 cents. Cups were 8 cents, lids a nickel, straws a penny, water, syrup and CO2 about a nickel. Then all of the sudden everything went up by about 2-300 percent, and not during the FJB days. Fountain pops in town now are 1.75-2.25 at any of the C stores or drive through.

Tobacco and beer were always good profit items. As were sandwiches and stuff oilfield and farm hands could grab for lunch. All the candy and stuff was usually keyhole priced, IE buy for a quarter and sell for half a dollar.

Another big draw that will get people in and therefore spending money is to have a clean store with nice bathrooms. People will remember and be back.

He did well enough and ended up selling to a guy who had a couple dozen stores scattered around nearby. I don’t know what he got for his store but I know he sold out and retired well before SS age.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Just my opinion, but you will never make a living selling gas alone. And there are so many of the so-called convenience stores around that the bigger chains are buying up all the smaller chains. Better to own a garage that sells gas and has a couple good mechanics that everyone trusts. But anyway, here's a story on who owns the gas stations.

Link: Video, Who Owns the Gas Stations...

Phil

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Tide_Change
A good look at their books might be a place to start.

Yeah, it will come to that at some point if I got more serious.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Good , fast food sells.

Plate lunches where folks feel like they are getting a deal.

fried chicken…

No dining area, just grab and go.

Keep the line moving.

Folks hate to be in line 20 mins on their 30 minute lunch break…

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I think I’d look for some rental houses.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Own the land and building.

Lease it out.

I am MAGA.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Or buy a couple of politicians.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by johnw
OTOH, some of these places do have decent coffee and donuts...

Fresh made tenderloin biscuits in the morning if you're from around these parts.

Or steak biscuits, or steak and egg biscuits, or bacon tomato and egg biscuits, etc.

You get the idea, just gotta beat the crowd there if you want one.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You could sell Pronto pups at State Fair Time...

When its time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to get on Noah's Arc... and brother, it is starting to rain!

The chair is against the wall.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Every time I have to go to a gas station bathroom the whole idea of owning a gas station disappears from my mind.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hard to compete with Kwik Trip when they show up...

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I can't believe no one has mentioned Gas Station Encounters

A sample

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I will say, the rural ones, that have maybe 3-4 gas pumps, but when you drive by, there are people parked in the parking lot (i.e. not getting gas), those places usually have pretty good food.

My bride was astonished when I suggested we stop at one in tiny town SC for a breakfast sandwich. Grandma took our orders and we watched her cook them right there on the griddle while we chatted with her. Great b-fast sandwich.

Have found such places in Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana, Arkansas, Missouri, South Dakota, North Dakota, Kansas. Haven't had much luck in western states.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by TheKid
My dad owned one and fed us and paid the bills for 24 years.
As has been stated, basically 0 income from fuel sales. This week you get a load of fuel for $3 a gallon and the next day the guy down the street gets a load for $2.89 you’re going to have to match his price and take it in the shorts for a bit to keep the store traffic flowing. Maybe next time around the roles are reversed.

Fountain drinks used to be a major money maker. For 12-15 years dad sold 20 and 32 ounce fountain pops for 50 cents. Cups were 8 cents, lids a nickel, straws a penny, water, syrup and CO2 about a nickel. Then all of the sudden everything went up by about 2-300 percent, and not during the FJB days. Fountain pops in town now are 1.75-2.25 at any of the C stores or drive through.

Tobacco and beer were always good profit items. As were sandwiches and stuff oilfield and farm hands could grab for lunch. All the candy and stuff was usually keyhole priced, IE buy for a quarter and sell for half a dollar.

Another big draw that will get people in and therefore spending money is to have a clean store with nice bathrooms. People will remember and be back.

He did well enough and ended up selling to a guy who had a couple dozen stores scattered around nearby. I don’t know what he got for his store but I know he sold out and retired well before SS age.

Good info. Thank you. I didn't think much about the cost of the cups until a few years ago when local guy started giving $0.50 off for bringing in your own coffee cup.

You're right about the clean store.

Camp is where you make it.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 160user, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 2,299 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,006
Posts18,500,101
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.