Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Sam_H
Anything named Creedmoor. Probably cuz I'm a stubborn old fart that knows he's wrong.

Anything RUM, SAUM, WSM, WSSM.

Anything other than 5.56/.223 for an AR.......especially hate .300 AAC/BO. Unless watching Bubba KBs youtube. Just a matter of time with that round.

Oh, yeah. 30 Super Carry and 5.7x28. Sooner hold my nose and buy a 6.8 Western.

Last, the 3" 28 ga. Thank you Benelli for a screen door on a submarine.

I might regret this but what’s the problem with the 300 BO?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LSU fan

I've only used a 300 BO once with a borrowed rifle but was pleasantly surprised with the results below. When I bought my Wilson Combat, I decided to go for a bit more power & got a 300 HAM'R instead. This is the only recently designed cartridge I own. Most of the other ones in my safe (6.5x55, 275 Rigby, 303 British, 9.3x74r, 405 Winchester, etc.) predate the creation of my 375 H&H cartridge in 1912. But I like them all regardless of whether they're old or new. They're all fun to shoot.

PS - Geaux Tigers!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Muffin
Most of my cartridge 'history' has run toward the conventional.... BUT, there's just something about the 'odd' er stuff for me, certainly less conventional....

7x57 AI

7x61 Sharpe/Hart

7x65 Brenneke

40-40 Maynard, Paper Patched

Paper Patch 45-70

One that was definitely influenced by another was the 243 Win. Truth be known, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the cartridge..... but I helped trail, hunt down, track, whatever, and NOT recover, several of his deer that were shot with the 243.... Florida Whitetails, not exactly the biggest or toughest Cervidae on the planet......

So I have avoided it..............

Not fair perhaps,

YMMV

Pretty much my own thoughts on the .243 Win.
Lot'sa deer have fallen to the .243. Lot'sa deer have been lost because an inexperienced hunter was started with a .243.

I'm of the opinion that the .243 is best suited to an experienced hunter.
Hey, I killed my biggest buck (156#) with a .22 Hornet.
I would not start a hunter with a .22 Hornet!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
IME, if you're a pisspoor shooter the cartridge you're using isn't a factor.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yeah, there can be "problems" with lighter bullets at such velocities--especially when shooting prairie dogs in summer temperatures.

But so what? Neither cartridge is really ideal for PD shooting, despite Winchester promoting the WSSM as the ultimate PD round when it appeared. This is partly because they burn out barrels quickly, and partly because I have yet to see a stouter varmint bullet such as Nosler Ballistic Tips come apart even from hot barrels.

Both rounds work even better with heavier bullets, whether for varmints or big game--partly because they hang onto velocity better. But many American hunters are still obsessed by faster muzzle velocities.

That makes sense. With such a wide range of bullet weights in 22 cal, at the extreme ends of cartridge size, whether it's a 22 Hornet or 223 WSSM, they can't be everything to everybody.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by HoosierHawk
I think the 6.5 Creedmore falls into that category for many here.

Could not agree more......only not a person but dozen's have told me the 6.5Gaymoor is the be all end all.....

I will NEVER own one.......EVER, I will find my way without one, out of the crowd

Your loss.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Lot'sa deer have been lost because an inexperienced hunter was started with a .243.

Lots of deer have been lost because an inexperienced hunter was started with a 30-06 as well.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I am never lead around by my feelers and others really don't effect my decisions. With that said I try to be more graceful in my approach to others every day and hope I effect others in a positive way.

I have had 2 30-06's and sold them both. The cartridge likely is the end all be all of cartridges however I prefer less recoil. The 6.5 creedmoor is my newest and latest end all be all cartridge. Not because it's magic but because it fits the recoil department and 6.5 bullets seem to penetrate very well. I really don't need anything of significant horse power to effectively hunt the game I hunt which is up to elk sized game

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I suppose you could ruin one for yourself by poor shooting or choosing the wrong bullet.

“I shot him four times right in the chest and he just ran off! I need a bigger gun.” Well, maybe, once in a great while, but not as often as that’s claimed.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I suppose you could ruin one for yourself by poor shooting or choosing the wrong bullet.

“I shot him four times right in the chest and he just ran off! I need a bigger gun.” Well, maybe, once in a great while, but not as often as that’s claimed.

Many years ago I actually met a guy who claimed the .308 Winchester was a lousy deer round, because he'd shot a whitetail "right in the heart" and never found the buck....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by odonata

I've only used a 300 BO once with a borrowed rifle but was pleasantly surprised with the results below. When I bought my Wilson Combat, I decided to go for a bit more power & got a 300 HAM'R instead. This is the only recently designed cartridge I own. Most of the other ones in my safe (6.5x55, 275 Rigby, 303 British, 9.3x74r, 405 Winchester, etc.) predate the creation of my 375 H&H cartridge in 1912. But I like them all regardless of whether they're old or new. They're all fun to shoot.

PS - Geaux Tigers!

While I wouldn’t say the blackout is exciting it feels like a useful chambering. Fun as hell to shoot subs with a suppressor. Kids recently got a model 7 so chambered and while it wouldn’t have been my first choice I have no doubt it will be a low recoil deer killing machine with supers and when I get a can we’ll already have a bolt gun gun ready to run subs. I’m not mad about it.

GEAUX TIGERS. Only 10 days to go until football season…

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by odonata

PS - Geaux Tigers!

The Ham'r is something I am interested in for sure.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
Originally Posted by Muffin
Most of my cartridge 'history' has run toward the conventional.... BUT, there's just something about the 'odd' er stuff for me, certainly less conventional....

7x57 AI

7x61 Sharpe/Hart

7x65 Brenneke

40-40 Maynard, Paper Patched

Paper Patch 45-70

One that was definitely influenced by another was the 243 Win. Truth be known, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the cartridge..... but I helped trail, hunt down, track, whatever, and NOT recover, several of his deer that were shot with the 243.... Florida Whitetails, not exactly the biggest or toughest Cervidae on the planet......

So I have avoided it..............

Not fair perhaps,

YMMV

Lot'sa deer have been lost because an inexperienced hunter was started with a .243.

It had more to do with pizz poor shooting or too tough of a bullet than the 243 not being adequate.

I have killed deer with everything from 22 LR to 7mm and 300 Mags.

Have killed 90% of them with a 6mm Remington and an 85 grain Sierra Varminter SP. Can't tell any difference when hit in the same spot.

Even some hits that weren't perfect with a 22-250 resulted in rather quick kills due to a softish bullet really upsetting their apple carts.

IMO the 243/6mm gets a bad reputation because everyone thinks you need a railroad spike tough bullet to kill a 250# or less animal. Get a semi soft bullet and quick kills are the norm in smaller bores.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I agree.

I've set up my nieces with a 243 Win, had them shooting last summer to get comfortable with the gun. They were shooting it pretty good, so when fall came around, I took them out in the youth season. First afternoon out, a mule buck was spotted, 175 yard shot, lung shot, dropped on the spot. Clean pass through with the 100gr corelokt. This spring the same thing happened with a big 7 foot chocolate phase black bear. 150 yards, double lung with pass through, bear dropped on the spot. I've seen good results with other youth I've taken out as well and have a neighbor who took a bull moose down with a single shot from a 243.

I personally prefer the 257 Roberts and 6.5's over the 243 win but in saying that, I wouldn't feel handicapped if the 243 was all I had.

It really comes down to good shot placement and using a decent bullet and the animal wont make it far. Aim small, hit small.

Bear squared 7".
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Would not be an issue but for people failing to keep their 5.56 uppers far from their .300 BO ammunition.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Many years ago I actually met a guy who claimed the .308 Winchester was a lousy deer round, because he'd shot a whitetail "right in the heart" and never found the buck....

A now deceased cousin swore the 308 wasn't any good.
"It don't kill like my 06. Had one, lost a couple deer, got rid of of it."

Might have been true, might not have been his shooting (he sucked).
Scope? Bullet issue?
Damn sure wasn't the headstamp.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
nd
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

A now deceased cousin swore the 308 wasn't any good.
"It don't kill like my 06. Had one, lost a couple deer, got rid of of it."

Might have been true, might not have been his shooting (he sucked).
Scope? Bullet issue?
Damn sure wasn't the headstamp.
It does not take much for some folks to form an opinion. It takes less for many to convert those opinions to iron clad fact.

Dad hunted most of his life with a Rem 760 in 30-06. He carried 150 gr Silvertip for deer and 180 gr Silvertip for elk. His hunting partner was a Korean War Vet, and hunted with a bolt action in 308.

One day, about 1968, they spotted some deer at 800 yds or a bit further. They both started lobbing rounds in that direction. By his fourth shot, Dad had walked rounds on target and killed a deer. His buddy never got the range.

Despite my explanation that there was virtually no difference between his factory loaded '06 and the 150 gr 308, Dad was convinced the 308 was a lesser round. "He couldn't even reach a deer at 1/2 mile."

When I suggested it had something to do with the guy behind the trigger, and his ability to compensate for range. Dad claimed nonsense, the guy was an Army trained marksman. The fault was a vastly inferior round.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
The Ham'r is something I am interested in for sure.

I wish I could give you an actual field report but it was one of my later acquisitions & I haven’t had opportunities to test it on various game yet. So far it’s only been to the range. I’m shooting 130gr Speer Hot-Cor bullets & from a statistical standpoint, the numbers look promising for the moderate distances I hunt at. It’s definitely a fun gun to shoot.

I don’t have enough experience with other rounds to compare it to cartridges like the 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC. But it seemed like a legitimate effort to fire a .30 caliber bullet with as much power as possible using a standard 5.56 bolt. I was intrigued enough to veer away from my preferred single-shot falling blocks & try something totally different. So far, it’s been a fun experiment.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mathman

Lots of deer have been lost because an inexperienced hunter was started with a 30-06 as well.

My point is the .243 and it's light bullets are perfectly capable of killing deer ... in the hands of an experienced shooter who is aware that bullet placement is key.

Too many times, beginning hunters are started on the .243 and don't have enough experience to not rush their shot or aren't cognizant of bullet placement in the excitement of the moment.

You are correct. Hunters lose deer every year due to poor shot placement ... regardless of bullet caliber.

"Bullet diameter cannot compensate for poor shot placement."

....and even in the hands of a competent and experienced hunter, old "Murphy" kicks in and an "Aw s#¡t!" happens.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
Originally Posted by mathman

My point is the .243 and it's light bullets are perfectly capable of killing deer ... in the hands of an experienced shooter who is aware that bullet placement is key.

Too many times, beginning hunters are started on the .243 and don't have enough experience to not rush their shot or aren't cognizant of bullet placement in the excitement of the moment.

You are correct. Hunters lose deer every year due to poor shot placement ... regardless of bullet caliber.

"Bullet diameter cannot compensate for poor shot placement."

....and even in the hands of a competent and experienced hunter, old "Murphy" kicks in and an "Aw s#¡t!" happens.

So you've unsuccessfully spoke out of both sides of your mouth. You'd have done better admitting your first post was out in left field.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

379 members (163bc, 257 mag, 10ring1, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 160user, 40 invisible), 2,006 guests, and 1,051 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,334
Posts18,505,991
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.