Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
RAM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
[quote=moosemike]
IRuger now makes the same basic gun, obviously with a better finish and ostensibly "Quality crafted into every rifle." Their asking price is $1,239.00. /quote]

There is a quantum leap of faith . I said it before, and I'll say it again. I'm not seeing it. And the rag writers are the only ones claiming it. Are the Rugers better made than the Remlins? Yes. Marlin? I'm not seeing it. In hand or reading the rags.

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
GB1

RAM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pappy348
In 2015 they were made by Remington and those were possible the worst ever made until they threw everything they got from Marlin out and started over. By the time they figured it out and were turning out decent ones, the .

Where did you get that info? Remington never threw anything out and NEVER retooled. They were bankrupt. Thst's why their product sucked. Had Remington retooled Ruger wouldn't have been off line 3 years retooling .

What I'ld really like an answer to is, why do you mothball the 77 because its too expensive to build, but go ahead with a 1200 + 30-30,?

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by SargeMO
2016-2017 I bought two 94 Winchesters; a rough 1976 model ($200) and a used but not abused 94 Antique ($340). I usually don't even buy Marlins but when a '55 Texan in 35 Remington listed on Armslist in late 2020, I grabbed it for less than half what Ruger wants for a new one.

Some of today's pricing is attributable to inflation. A hell of lot of it is 'Charge what the traffic will bear."

Originally Posted by moosemike
I bought a new 336 in 2016. It was $440 and it was parkerized with hardwood. The new 336 is $999 at my LGS and that's blued/walnut

Per the US Inflation Calculator, the cumulative rate of inflation for Mike's 2016 Marlin 336 is 27.4% and today's price should be $560.42. Of course Rem/Marlin went TU so it's impossible to draw direct conclusions. Ruger now makes the same basic gun, obviously with a better finish and ostensibly "Quality crafted into every rifle." Their asking price is $1,239.00.

So I guess the question to ask is Ruger's 336 worth $678.00 more than Moose Mike's inflation-adjusted 2016 version?

Not to me it isn't, but I've got the only Marlin that really interests me. Ruger is apparently selling all they can make.

Seems most here do not think that the "inflation" numbers over the past few years are anywhere near reality. You?

I am not an economist.

Per the Inflation Rate Calculator, the inflation on a $100 item between 2016 and 2020 was 7.8%

It also shows the inflation on that same item, between 2020 and 2023 (3 years instead of 4) at 18.1%

Sounds reasoable to me. https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

There is inflation, economic opportunism (AKA Capitalism) and price gouging. All of them have manifested themselves in the new and used lever action market over the past 7 years.

Last edited by SargeMO; 08/26/23.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RAM
In 2015 they were made by Remington and those were possible the worst ever made until they threw everything they got from Marlin out and started over. By the time they figured it out and were turning out decent ones, the .

Where did you get that info? Remington never threw anything out and NEVER retooled. They were bankrupt. Thst's why their product sucked. Had Remington retooled Ruger wouldn't have been off line 3 years retooling .

What I'ld really like an answer to is, why do you mothball the 77 because its too expensive to build, but go ahead with a 1200 + 30-30,?

I got that from various articles written by writers that have been reliable.

They, like any business, make what they think will sell so they can make money. There’s a market for nice lever actions, as evidenced by the fact that companies liie Pedersoli, Uberti, Winchester, and Big Horn Armory are cranking out a wide variety, some of them selling for a Hell of a lot more than $1200.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RAM

Here you go. Read it and weep, Dipschitt:

https://www.riflemagazine.com/new-marlin-1895-sbl-45-70-government

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RAM
Why would you assume that when its posted 3 rounds at 50 yrds?
I think they screwed up the caption. All the numbers make perfect sense if the shooting was done at 50 and 100 yards

Last edited by moosemike; 08/27/23.
RAM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
In 2015 they were made by Remington and those were possible the worst ever made until they threw everything they got from Marlin out and started over. By the time they figured it out and were turning out decent ones, the whole company went under. Similarly, what Ruger got from Remington was also in bad shape, and they began fresh

Where are you getting this? You keep repeating this. And it just isn't true.

Remington never put 1 penny in tooling or upgrades on the Marlin line. They NEVER turned out a single unit from the production line that was worth its salt.

A few came out of the Custom shop, but pricing and lack of skilled Employees submarined that experiment

They were/are Bankrupt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I posted the link to an article that gives an excellent account of that above. You can deny deny deny Hillary, but it’s right there for you and everyone else to see. If you want to hold onto the fairytale you pulled out of your azz, go for it.

From that article:

In January 2008, the Remington Outdoor Company (aka the Freedom Group, Cerberus) acquired the Marlin Firearms Company, which had been a family-owned business (Frank Kenna and descendants) since 1924. While the new owners invested deeply with the intention to improve and modernize this remarkable company, they made one major mistake; in an effort to increase efficiency, during 2010 they moved the company from New Haven, Connecticut, to Ilion, New York, to be manufactured within the huge Remington Arms plant. Only a handful of employees made the move, so the know-how and tweaking that was necessary to make guns work perfectly was lost. Blueprints were outdated and did not correspond with modern CNC tooling. Essentially, it had to start all over with new employees, engineers, new tooling, etc. I worked closely with company personnel, offering insight into technical aspects and areas that really needed to be improved, as well as input for new models that would be in high demand. While improvement was steady, corporate “white shirt-types” stifled the process. Nonetheless, Marlin eventually began producing good rifles and became very successful. In fact, they carried Remington Arms financially as that company failed to produce quality guns and struggled to make ends meet!
Tragically, the Freedom Group that also owned DPMS, Bushmaster, Dakota Arms, Barnes Bullets and many others declared bankruptcy in July 2020, with Ruger purchasing Marlin shortly afterward. This was a match made in heaven and I knew that it would only be a matter of time for savvy Ruger engineers to take the Marlin design and make it more or less perfect once again!

Soon after the bankruptcy, the Ilion plant was closed, and with the humidity associated with a New England fall, tooling, parts, barrels and receivers began to quickly rust and deteriorate. By the time Ruger moved the company to Mayodan, North Carolina, much of the tooling and some parts were unusable. Ruger engineers immediately began drawing new blueprints and engineering production processes that better fit within that company’s highly efficient manufacturing techniques and methodology, which has been a huge undertaking. As the work progressed, I was periodically forwarded blueprints, proposed changes, etc. for input. It quickly became clear that Ruger was taking its latest acquisition to new levels of quality and reliability and I anxiously waited for the announcement indicating production was underway

Follow the link for the full text.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I posted the link to an article that gives an excellent account of that above. You can deny deny deny Hillary, but it’s right there for you and everyone else to see. If you want to hold onto the fairytale you pulled out of your azz, go for it.

From that article:

In January 2008, the Remington Outdoor Company (aka the Freedom Group, Cerberus) acquired the Marlin Firearms Company, which had been a family-owned business (Frank Kenna and descendants) since 1924. While the new owners invested deeply with the intention to improve and modernize this remarkable company, they made one major mistake; in an effort to increase efficiency, during 2010 they moved the company from New Haven, Connecticut, to Ilion, New York, to be manufactured within the huge Remington Arms plant. Only a handful of employees made the move, so the know-how and tweaking that was necessary to make guns work perfectly was lost. Blueprints were outdated and did not correspond with modern CNC tooling. Essentially, it had to start all over with new employees, engineers, new tooling, etc. I worked closely with company personnel, offering insight into technical aspects and areas that really needed to be improved, as well as input for new models that would be in high demand. While improvement was steady, corporate “white shirt-types” stifled the process. Nonetheless, Marlin eventually began producing good rifles and became very successful. In fact, they carried Remington Arms financially as that company failed to produce quality guns and struggled to make ends meet!
Tragically, the Freedom Group that also owned DPMS, Bushmaster, Dakota Arms, Barnes Bullets and many others declared bankruptcy in July 2020, with Ruger purchasing Marlin shortly afterward. This was a match made in heaven and I knew that it would only be a matter of time for savvy Ruger engineers to take the Marlin design and make it more or less perfect once again!

Soon after the bankruptcy, the Ilion plant was closed, and with the humidity associated with a New England fall, tooling, parts, barrels and receivers began to quickly rust and deteriorate. By the time Ruger moved the company to Mayodan, North Carolina, much of the tooling and some parts were unusable. Ruger engineers immediately began drawing new blueprints and engineering production processes that better fit within that company’s highly efficient manufacturing techniques and methodology, which has been a huge undertaking. As the work progressed, I was periodically forwarded blueprints, proposed changes, etc. for input. It quickly became clear that Ruger was taking its latest acquisition to new levels of quality and reliability and I anxiously waited for the announcement indicating production was underway

Links don't help with him. He doesn't read them. When he's wrong he's content being wrong and no facts can change it

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by moosemike

From that article:

Links don't help with him. He doesn't read them. When he's wrong he's content being wrong and no facts can change it

Well, in that case, since I know the popular definition of insanity, I’ll let him wallow in his ignorance without further interference from me…..

Thanks.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Hopefully RGR stock can break out…….

Higher

Higher

Higher!!!!!

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, that’s the first time I heard anyone mention that take on the matter!🤔

What fresh Hell is this?
RAM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RAM

I got that from various articles written by writers that have been reliable.

They, like any business, make what they think will sell so they can make money. There’s a market for nice lever actions, as evidenced by the fact that companies liie Pedersoli, Uberti, Winchester, and Big Horn Armory are cranking out a wide variety, some of them selling for a Hell of a lot more than $1200.

I would L O V E to see that Article. Please provide a link.
It doesn't pass the logical sniff test at all.

RAM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RAM

Here you go. Read it and weep, Dipschitt:

Hey Dumb phu ck ? Could you please point out in your Ruger article where it states Remington retooled.?

I'll take your apology when you grow the nads to post it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here you go Dickwad:

Blueprints were outdated and did not correspond with modern CNC tooling. Essentially, it had to start all over with new employees, engineers, new tooling, etc. I worked closely with company personnel, offering insight into technical aspects and areas that really needed to be improved, as well as input for new models that would be in high demand. While improvement was steady, corporate “white shirt-types” stifled the process. Nonetheless, Marlin eventually began producing good rifles and became very successful. In fact, they carried Remington Arms financially as that company failed to produce quality guns and struggled to make ends meet!

You can skip the apology, I wouldn’t want your head to explode…..

Also, here yet fuggin’ again, is the link. You must be blind as well as stupid.

What fresh Hell is this?
RAM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

From that article:

Operative word being "INTENTION"

[bleep] in one hand and intend in the other.
Come back and tell me which one fills up first..

RAM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
You liberals crack me up. When you got nothing you always go to the name calling like petulant little children.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can deal with the ignorant, the stupid, fools, and even the crazy, but won’t waste (any more) time on a liar. AMF

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can deal with the ignorant, the stupid, fools, and even the crazy, but won’t waste (any more) time on a liar. AMF
I told ya. He's like talking to a brick wall. Only the wall is likely more intelligent

RAM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Typical commucrat , accuse the other side of what you yourself are doing, pick up your marbles and go home
With your tail between your legs, thinking "I showed him"
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (007FJ, 160user, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 70 invisible), 2,146 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,776
Posts18,495,819
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.