Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I have a set of tracts that are the most expensive bino's I've ever owned. I'm sure I can get by with them, but if I wanted to upgrade within the neighborhood of $1K, what are my best options? I watched the youtube of backwoods pursuit review. Wondering if there review is really unbiased with several people collaborating as they say? They rank Zeiss Conquests highest in their category. What say y'all? Thanks.

GB1

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have the Meopta Meopro air in 10x42 , might take a look at them

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’d look real hard at the kowa genesis line.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
At your price range there will be very little, if any real difference. In my experience there is far less variation between the optics in that level than people tend to think there is. The very top level are a little better, but even then the difference is not what many expect to find. Ergonomics may well be a different matter. Binoculars are sort of like a good rifle in that when we quickly mount the rifle, a good one fits and the image is right there, no fuss, muss, or bother. Same deal with binoculars. When you put them to your eyes, they need to fit your hands, face, and eyes. I tend to think that a lot of brand likes or dislikes tend to be that they got a glass that fit right or didn't, I'd go fit first , then look for acceptable optics. Best glass in the world is not worth a whole lot if they don't fit.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
You won’t see much difference in the 1k range. I’ve looked through most of em and there just isn’t any discernible difference to my eyes. Just picked up new EL’s in 10x42 and the biggest difference for me is greater detail at first/last light. Hell, I’m probably getting greater detail for an extra 15 mins, but that matters to me, so the $ spent is justified

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Rickshaw
I have a set of tracts that are the most expensive bino's I've ever owned. I'm sure I can get by with them, but if I wanted to upgrade within the neighborhood of $1K, what are my best options? I watched the youtube of backwoods pursuit review. Wondering if there review is really unbiased with several people collaborating as they say? They rank Zeiss Conquests highest in their category. What say y'all? Thanks.

I had my Tract Toric UHD's in Namibia for 9 days, and my buddy has his Zeiss Conquest HD's that his son was using. The Toric's were ever bit as good as the Zeiss, and IMO better. Most everyone in camp agreed. The Conquest focus mechanism is way too fast for my liking, but the birdwatcher dude's love 'em.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback. The kowa and meopta are two I had at the top of the list. But without being able to look at them and compare, I think I'll just hang with the tracts for now. I guess human nature is to never be satisfied....

R
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by SteveC99
At your price range there will be very little, if any real difference. In my experience there is far less variation between the optics in that level than people tend to think there is. The very top level are a little better, but even then the difference is not what many expect to find. Ergonomics may well be a different matter. Binoculars are sort of like a good rifle in that when we quickly mount the rifle, a good one fits and the image is right there, no fuss, muss, or bother. Same deal with binoculars. When you put them to your eyes, they need to fit your hands, face, and eyes. I tend to think that a lot of brand likes or dislikes tend to be that they got a glass that fit right or didn't, I'd go fit first , then look for acceptable optics. Best glass in the world is not worth a whole lot if they don't fit.

The ergonomics of the tracts are great for me. Another reason to keep on keeping on.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Rickshaw

I had my Tract Toric UHD's in Namibia for 9 days, and my buddy has his Zeiss Conquest HD's that his son was using. The Toric's were ever bit as good as the Zeiss, and IMO better. Most everyone in camp agreed. The Conquest focus mechanism is way too fast for my liking, but the birdwatcher dude's love 'em.

Thanks JG. I know you are a meopta fan, so your endorsement means a lot. I have a set of kowa bd II from work and they have a very touchy focus that is too sensitive for me, so if the zeiss is like that I'll pass.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Richshaw,

I still have the Toric 10x42's I bought from you and a pair of 8x42 Torics. I like the 8's considerably more.

I've just gone through 13 pairs to upgrade from the Torics and without getting into all the details I had a pair of Conqeuest HD's 8x42 next to the Torics for comparison and hard passed on upgrading from the Torics.

I did however, easily settle on a pair of Zeiss SFL 8x40's to replace the Torics and couldn't be happier. So much so that I've also purchased a pair of SFL's in 10x40.

My 13 bino comparison included all of the Big 3 plus Maven, Kowa and Vortex many of which have been resold on this forum as well as others.

IMO, the Zeiss SFL is best deal going in terms of optic quality, size/weight and user friendlyness. Lots of folks told me how bad Zeiss eye cups are but honestly, I can't see the problem.

Good luck and hope this helps and don't forget that "you get what you pay for in advice and optics!"

BBQ

Last edited by TexasBBQ; 08/24/23.

"Giving freaks a pass is the oldest tradition in Montana."
Thomas McGuane
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
What’s street price on the sfl tbbq?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I forgot to mention that I kept a pair of Maven B1.2 10x42's at the end as these are superb optics to my eyes. I'd have stopped with them had the SFL's not been smaller and lighter. Optically, they are a definite upgrade to my Torics and extremely close to the SFL's.

Last edited by TexasBBQ; 08/24/23.

Thomas McGuane
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
What’s street price on the sfl tbbq?

$1000 -$1100 pretty easily if you don't mind lightly used.

Thomas McGuane
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by SteveC99

This has also been my experience, with a bunch of binoculars in that price range.

Also have found that a lot of "perceived" optical quality is due to price-tag opinions. Found this out years ago after covering the name of binoculars and having lots of people look through 'em.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Kowa Genesis 10.5x44. Very very nice glass for 1k.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 08/24/23.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If your spending more and upgrading from Tract binos your at the point of diminishing returns. The Swaro or Leica or Nikon ultra series might be slightly better but 3k+ for binos is criminal and they simply don't perform that much better nor have that much higher build quality. The 5% gain might cost $2k .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Following…

I’d upgrade if there was clear advantage to what i have..

NON hd cabelas euros ( meopta ) amd 15 year old ( or more ) kahles.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’ve used the meopta hd 8x32 for several years as my truck binos. Recently picked up the kowa genesis 8x33 from tbbq here after hearing so many good thing; they do not disappoint. Clear advantage to my eyes over the meopta for sure. They hang with my ultravids.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I use my Kowa 8x33 more than any other bino I have. Simply put, they just work for me. Best $650 I’ve spent

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have converted to a "kowa guy". Incredible value and glass quality that work for my eyes. I would suggest checking their dealer locator and if there is on close, go look through some.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,380 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,700
Posts18,494,248
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.