Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
iskra Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Maybe if a "survival forum" here such among the Fire community, I should take my theory-emerged "sky is falling" perspective there. Anyway, here goes...

I'll be shopping for a new vehicle, hopefully as the new yearly crop in place and prices settled from an apparent factual "back order rush"... Or so the hype. I'm conjuring a Hybrid vehicle as that type reflecting my main concern expressed here. (Asside as a "soccer mom" machine :)) of maximum 'stuff' load less than full fledged van market.

But back to the hybrid concept. In a word, "Infrastructure." And the precept of 'spreading liability'. Here as having both virtues of two alternative technologies to keep 'wheels turning' in light of some infrastructure failure of one sort or the other. There were gasoline shortages and rationing in the 70ies era. No other alternative then. Now... Hybrid offering the "electric" option. Conversely as another severe SoCal drought, our electric production capabilities may well not accommodate the industry/commercial/home demand. Then too, "PRICE" of energy purchase, gasoline or electric! Otherwise put... 'OPTIONS'... Available!

"Climate change"! Yes, absolute believer. Also believing working its terrible wonders in many ways. Fires, flooding, air- pollution! ONe hand, driving you from your home. Other dimension as bottom line... Lucky if you can safely "escape!" The point of dual gas & electric entirely of "laying off odds. Seeming to me far more valuable in the compromise of two technologies. Yet the better assurance of "wheels yet turning". Everything from lack of energy source. Gas stations 'dry' or clogged up as inaccessable. To elctric failures such as grid insufficiency. Too wild cards of such as and trucker strikes affecting fuel deliveries or simply gas prices through the roof in conjure of everyday use.

While I'm not sure of any victory of wheels working, as arriving at empty grocery store shelves, at least "motivation" source better than the big axx gas burner sitting with empty tank or a week without electricity as all the electric only cars of huge price tags as stationary "artifacts!"

I don't know how many folks likely to buy into this playing the safe side of odds theory. Interesting to view comments. A last notion, comparable alternative is two vehicles. The better world but for$$$ invested, tax, licensing and insurance, maintenance and depreciation! Especially where "application" most often to sit on the

The net here, my belief such one-or-the-other, gas or eletric infrastructure failures occurring. Whether repeatedly or over such as a week period or more. More often and for longer duration as climate change increases.

'If' you've even read this far, thanks!

Thoughts??? Optional!
Best!
John

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I believe that gas/electric hybrids are the best choice for urban, suburban, and commuting driving. The Prius is on the right track. We'll still need dinosaur-burners without a doubt, until some Major advancements are found.

For the foreseeable future we can have electric where it makes sense, hybrid that makes some sense, and fossil fueled until a Viable alternative is found.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by iskra
Maybe if a "survival forum" here such among the Fire community, I should take my theory-emerged "sky is falling" perspective there. Anyway, here goes...

I'll be shopping for a new vehicle, hopefully as the new yearly crop in place and prices settled from an apparent factual "back order rush"... Or so the hype. I'm conjuring a Hybrid vehicle as that type reflecting my main concern expressed here. (Asside as a "soccer mom" machine :)) of maximum 'stuff' load less than full fledged van market.

But back to the hybrid concept. In a word, "Infrastructure." And the precept of 'spreading liability'. Here as having both virtues of two alternative technologies to keep 'wheels turning' in light of some infrastructure failure of one sort or the other. There were gasoline shortages and rationing in the 70ies era. No other alternative then. Now... Hybrid offering the "electric" option. Conversely as another severe SoCal drought, our electric production capabilities may well not accommodate the industry/commercial/home demand. Then too, "PRICE" of energy purchase, gasoline or electric! Otherwise put... 'OPTIONS'... Available!

"Climate change"! Yes, absolute believer. Also believing working its terrible wonders in many ways. Fires, flooding, air- pollution! ONe hand, driving you from your home. Other dimension as bottom line... Lucky if you can safely "escape!" The point of dual gas & electric entirely of "laying off odds. Seeming to me far more valuable in the compromise of two technologies. Yet the better assurance of "wheels yet turning". Everything from lack of energy source. Gas stations 'dry' or clogged up as inaccessable. To elctric failures such as grid insufficiency. Too wild cards of such as and trucker strikes affecting fuel deliveries or simply gas prices through the roof in conjure of everyday use.

While I'm not sure of any victory of wheels working, as arriving at empty grocery store shelves, at least "motivation" source better than the big axx gas burner sitting with empty tank or a week without electricity as all the electric only cars of huge price tags as stationary "artifacts!"

I don't know how many folks likely to buy into this playing the safe side of odds theory. Interesting to view comments. A last notion, comparable alternative is two vehicles. The better world but for$$$ invested, tax, licensing and insurance, maintenance and depreciation! Especially where "application" most often to sit on the

The net here, my belief such one-or-the-other, gas or eletric infrastructure failures occurring. Whether repeatedly or over such as a week period or more. More often and for longer duration as climate change increases.

Thoughts??? Optional!
Best!

John

Just curious, what is your first language?

The answer is clear, you need a horse!

E
ERK Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
E
My son in law bought a Hyundai a few years ago. It’s a hybrid. Pretty good except you have to have a dealer change the oil or warranty is void. That’s a no no in my book. His dealer is 80 miles away. Edk

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
We are subject to catastrophic wildfires up here in Appalachia West, and the rarer heavy wet snow...either way, one thing happens...the electric grid goes down so the fuel pumps don't work, the card readers don't work and you ain't gonna be chargin' your eelecktrick schidtbox. So that leaves us with gas cans in a fire situation or gas cans in a snowy road situation. So...I'm gonna go with a full pantry and my trusty wood stove warming the globe (and my fat ass when I cut the wood or burn it) and stay home til it blows over.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by ERK
My son in law bought a Hyundai a few years ago. It’s a hybrid. Pretty good except you have to have a dealer change the oil or warranty is void. That’s a no no in my book. His dealer is 80 miles away. Edk

My son has a Hyundai Sonata hybrid and it doesn't void the warranty if someone other than the dealer changes the oil. Somebody is pulling your leg.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V

Thoughts??? Optional!
Best!
John

John,

I read your whole post. Twice, just to make sure I didn't have my head up my azz before responding. I have two thoughts:

1. You seem to have made up your mind about the hybrid vehicle.

2. You write like a schïtty mediation lawyer who presents a case and consistently looses. Clean it up ffs. Unless you are an ESL guy. Then it is forgivable.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Gas.

And some stored for emergency.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

Thoughts??? Optional!
Best!
John

Once more, this time in English for fook sakes......

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I own 3 hybrids, a 2021 f150 powerboost, a 2021 pacifica plug in hybrid, and a 2023 Honda accord exl hybrid.

The f150 doesn't get the mileage it claims but has tons of power with 430 horse and 570 torque and a 7.2kwatt generator. It was supposed to get 24 mpg but I average 19 mpg.

The pacifica plugs in and has a gas v6 as well. It only goes about 32 miles on a charge but that's enough for my wife to go to work and back or for us to go to town. The only time we burn much gas in it is on long trips. Otherwise we average 60-70 mpg for local stuff.

The Honda accord is fairly big and we usually get right around 50 mpg. I did only get 44 mpg the other day coming back from Montana with a head wind and fully load with 5 of us and gear at 87 mpg but that's the worst I've got so far.

I don't mind hybrids but I couldn't go all electric.

Bb

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just spent a week tooling around the old country in a hybrid toyota C-HR. Fabulous mileage, but that example was underpowered and I am a long way from enjoying driving any CVT.

But, 45 mpg plus is a good combination with $8/gallon fuel....

Sic Semper Tyrannis
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by ERK

There is a Federal act called the Magnuson-Moss . Read that and tell the Hyundai dealer to GFT.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
JeffObama sockpuppet.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Local dealer offers a lifetime warranty BUT, you have to let them change your oil twice a year! And the offer is only at their dealership.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
JeffObama sockpuppet.

Yes equal brainpower. Both so brokedick they could not afford a 10 year old Prius with 300K miles on it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What did he say ?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 320090T
Local dealer offers a lifetime warranty BUT, you have to let them change your oil twice a year! And the offer is only at their dealership.

If you want the cheapest oil put in your engine at their recommended maintenance interval then go for it. It is an Easy pass for me.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hookeye
Gas.

Yessir!!!

While the Good Time gang on here watches Mannix reruns and sucks Rocky Road thru their curly-Q malt straw, uncle Slum is scrubbing gas cans in 101 heat and replenishing the fall farm fuel storage.

I am almost approaching WrangleStar status. lol

🥰🤙😺🤜🤪✅

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by hookeye
Gas.

Yessir!!!

While the Good Time gang on here watches Mannix reruns and sucks Rocky Road thru their curly-Q malt straw, uncle Slum is scrubbing gas cans in 101 heat and replenishing the fall farm fuel storage.

I am almost approaching WrangleStar status. lol

🥰🤙😺🤜🤪✅

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Yep. I cleaned up my collection of gas cans yesterday. most of the gas stations in my area have large generators and the capability to pump fuel immediately during a power outage. My local gas station was pumping gas as soon as the wind stopped blowing after the last Hurricane. Power was out for several days. no problem getting gas.

R
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
R
I had a Toyota RAV4 hybrid hire car for about six weeks. I was impressed with the fuel consumption. Admittedly the majority of it was highway / freeway ( motorway or A class roads in UK) but still 48-52mpg.

I would not trust a wholly electric car due to logistics / distribution of charging points in my country, charging time and battery charge consumption if lights on and raining.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 2500HD, 222ND, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 67 invisible), 2,604 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,692
Posts18,534,541
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.