Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Putting the finishing touches on a new rifle based on a left hand Zastava Mauser action. I want the best trigger possible for this rifle but it is a hunting rifle and needs to be reliable and safe. I do not want or need a side safety for it and I don't need a 4 oz pull trigger.

Just trying to see if there is a census on what is considered the best aftermarket trigger and hopefully it is made for a Mauser action.

Last edited by FSJeeper; 08/25/23.
GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have become a Trigger Tech fan. Even their less expensive trigger is smooth as glass. They usually will have a sale on holidays so I would keep an eye out. That said, I’m not sure they make a trigger for a Mauser.

As a second choice, going with a Timney is never a bad choice (IMHO).

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like triggetech.

My sample of two.

A built rifle and a Christensen arms.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I like my Timney's that I've installed on some of my sporterized m1917's and other rifles that had less than stellar triggers. YMMV.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've put Timney Sportsman triggers in many rifles, and they are just right for me personally.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’ve become a Trigger Tech groupy too. Great trigger with ZERO creep and breaks like glass at 3#. I’d buy nothing else knowing what I now know. 👍🏼

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
My vote:

https://dressels.com/mauser-trigger/

Formerly Alaska Arms, now sold by the Dressels. They aren't easy on the budget though.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have a Timney in a Win M-70 and a couple of Trigger Tech triggers in Rem 700's. Both really good triggers. Much improvement over the originals.
Although I'm not sure either one will work in a Zastava Mauser.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have you even shot it with the original trigger?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Thanks all, I have used Timney triggers with no complaints, but I had a gunsmith do his magic on a stock Winchester Model 70 trigger that I liked a lot better.

Has anyone used the Dressel M70 type trigger or the NECG's Recknagel trigger?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TeeBone
My vote:

Formerly Alaska Arms, now sold by the Dressels. They aren't easy on the budget though.

Paul died several years ago and you sure as heck don't want his widow working on your guns.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
It sounds like a hunting rifle. If that’s the case, just how much time, effort and money needs to be spent chasing the ultimate in trigger performance? I would say reliability is paramount.

I only have a few aftermarket triggers in hunting rifles. A Jewel in a varmint rifle, and Timney for hunting rifles. Timney has been in the aftermarket trigger game longer than many here have been alive. I would guess that there are few hunting rifles and fewer shooters who can benefit from refinement beyond what Timney provides (at a very reasonable cost.)

Mathew 22: 37-39

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Kenlguy
Originally Posted by TeeBone
My vote:

Paul died several years ago and you sure as heck don't want his widow working on your guns.

Kenlguy, Dressels still seem to be in business. Are there verified reports of a drop in quality since Paul died? This looks like a viable option.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
My vote is for the Alaska Arms trigger on the Dressel website. Like the original Winchester Model 70 safety, they're more weatherproof than the Trigger Tech or Timney--though both of those work well under most conditions.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I like my Timney's that I've installed on my m1917's and other rifles that had less than stellar triggers.

Same here. Installed one in a 338 RUM Remington M700 & a drop in on my Rock River LAR15.

We deal in lead, friend.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've used Timneys in half a dozen rifles, mostly Rem 700s, and have been happy with them. I haven't tried Trigger Tech yet but might give one a try.

My Model 70s and Rugers have the original trigger tuned a bit as I like the open trigger design for a hunting rifle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Try out the Zastava first. Mine is fine. As a general rule I don't like box triggers on my hunting rifles, a tuned M-70 is my ideal trigger.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by FSJeeper
Thanks all, I have used Timney triggers with no complaints, but I had a gunsmith do his magic on a stock Winchester Model 70 trigger that I liked a lot better.

Has anyone used the Dressel M70 type trigger or the NECG's Recknagel trigger?

I have an Alaska Arms (now Dressel) trigger on a M98 sporter, which I like very much. If you're happy with a tuned M70 trigger, you'll be happy with this one. Probably a better adjustment range is available with other aftermarket triggers, but as MD points out, it reduces some of the inherent reliability issues with housed triggers.

Also, if you want an all steel option in a housed trigger, consider the Blackburn triggers now sold by the Swift Bullet Company.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I prefer original Rem 700 Walker that has been tuned and especially Win 70 factory trigger with lighter spring.

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
Try out the Zastava first. Mine is fine. As a general rule I don't like box triggers on my hunting rifles, a tuned M-70 is my ideal trigger.

I am super familiar with these Zastava box triggers and own a number of right hand and left hand Zastava Mausers. 4 of them are left hand models. First of all, they are not bad triggers at all, but a Timney is an improvement. My problem with them is that I have one .308 right now that will fire when on safety if it is bumped and I have another one that is just simply a piece of crap in terms of trigger pull. Most have been good triggers with no issues, but the reliability issues on two of them have turned me off on them.

I only trust a safety 100% if it mechanically blocks the firing pin, and box triggers have more failure points but is typically not an issue to worry about. Imagine spending $40,000 on a hunting trip only to have your $100 Timney fail, when you could have had a reliable Win 70 style for $150 more. And that kind of risk management is why I am using the Mauser instead of the Winchester Model 70, because if something did fail on it, I can get parts easier for that anywhere in the world faster, easier, and cheaper than any other make of rifle. Having the backup rifle in the exact same type and configuration including scope mounts, solves that issue 100%.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 65 invisible), 2,427 guests, and 1,417 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,168
Posts18,484,544
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.