Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#18700795 08/25/23
MOGC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Squirrels in my part of the Ozarks are tearing up the hickory nuts right now. I got a cup of coffee yesterday morning and sat on the back patio just after daylight and watched four greys make it rain hickory nut cuttings out of a big hickory tree at the edge of my mowed yard. If it wasn't 100* by noon I would be tempted to go collect a few for the skillet. I hate hot weather.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ought to be a good mast crop with all the rain we've had this year so I'm hoping for a good squirrel season. Ours opens September 9th here in Alabama.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Its the squirrel sticks that people hate up north. The squirrels are prepping for winter nest building and they drop all kinds of short leafy branches for nest building. The neighbor picks them all up every day and the next day there is a whole new bunch. The squirrels want them dried for their nests, but they don’t stay on the lawn long enough to dry out.

I’ve got seven oak trees in the yard at another house and i probably get a thousand pounds of acorns in a good mast year. I’ve been thinking of feeding the deer with them, but I’m afraid that the squirrels will bury them all over the yard. Picking them up every year is a big job. I bought a Bear Cat lawn vacuum that picks them really well.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
MOGC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have 300 acres behind the house with a creek and two ponds. It's about a 60/40 woods-to-fields ratio. There is a hickory grove right at the edge of my mowed yard and that is where the squirrels start cutting every year. On a good year, there may be a dozen squirrels scurrying around at any given time cutting mast and yes they bury some in the yard. The cuttings dry out and get hard and sharp and running the mower over them sounds like I'm mowing a gravel road. I mow to throw them out of the yard and into the woods. It is a little bit of a pain in the butt however we are used to critters around the place and it is what it is.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I noticed where the squirrels have started cutting hickory here in WV.

It doesn't matter how fast you miss.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That sounds like paradise MOGC!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
they are cutting the green pine cones hear in this part of FLA. under every pine tree looks like a 5gal. bucket of chips

MOGC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 44mc
they are cutting the green pine cones hear in this part of FLA. under every pine tree looks like a 5gal. bucket of chips

The only time I see squirrels around here cutting pine cones here is when the hickory and acorn production is low. Pine cones seem to be the last choice on the menu for Ozark squirrels.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This would have been a good weekend to get after them before the heat rolls in again

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
MOGC the pine cones come in before hickory nuts & acorns do here .in town were there is a bunch of big hickory trees the squirrels will eat french fries out of mcdonalds dumpster before they eat the hickory nuts

IC B3

MOGC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
This would have been a good weekend to get after them before the heat rolls in again

Several mornings this week are predicted to be in the mid-'50s. Then warming back up over the weekend. I may get a chance to go on Thursday or Friday morning.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Season opens here on Friday and same as every year since I started hunting, I've been looking forward to it for months. Supposed to be in the low 50's and clear skies on Fri., Sat. and Sun. morning so nice weather for it. Checked zero on all my .22's last week. Can't wait.

MOGC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I think I'll verify my sight-in on a couple of my .22 rifles one morning this week. I usually hunt with a .22, either rifle or handgun. However, I just bought a little Beretta SxS 20 gauge shotgun and I'd really like to hunt with it ASAP. So while it is still greened up I may take the double barrel out and kill a few with it. Need to get familiar with double triggers!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hickory and Pecan are the two trees I look for in our early season. Last year I shot 4 on opening day out of a single hickory tree. Shoot one, wait a bit and the rest came back out shoot another, rinse and repeat.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I have a big pine by my driveway. The green pinecone chips are all over I raked up a trashcan full already. I used to shoot the squirrels with CB shorts but my neighbors call in on me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
one good thing about them cutting the green pine cones is you can watch the chips fall and find the one doing the cutting ,it will take a wile for one to eat the cone, I have killed a bunch doing that

MOGC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Watched a squirrel bury a hickory nut in the yard this morning.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 61 invisible), 2,133 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,767
Posts18,495,681
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.