-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't know where you're hunting but every Zim. p.h./operator I know has a U.S. bank account. Don't know why you would even risk it.

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In April 2023 in the RSA, the wife and I carried $200USD for airport and and farm employee tips.

We carried $2000CAD for PH and staff tips.

I use international bank transfers for Outfitter final payment or Visa for other transactions.

MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The only time I carried more than $10k was when I hunted Cameroon in 2003. And I declared it. All my other safaris I needed less than that. But when I did Cameroon I was the last hunter of the year and would have had a chance at an unfilled quota for Lord Derby Eland and wanted to be sure I could cover it. The quota got filled so I hunted Western Roan and plains game.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
D
doc3360 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
We are hunting Mozambique in Chawalo Wilderness area. I was planning on taking cash for the final hunt installment (PH likes cash) but with tips (including PH) that would put us over the $10K easily. So we will wire at least part of the last installment to stay under the $10k I suppose.

2 Tim 2:15
T
T
I took a few thousand to SA several weeks ago. No problems at all. However, there was no safe in my room, so I just hid the cash. Gave it to my hunting party as tips.

IC B2

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Something I ran into in Zambia last year.
Was trying to pay for a couple of days we spent in a fishing resort after the hunt. $100 bills older than about 2 or 3 years were refused. I was told their bank wouldn't take them. My PH was happy with them. He said he'd just take them to the USA on his next marketing trip and exchange them here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by doc3360
Do you declare your cash if you carry over $10K?

Wouldn't be carrying my cash or my ass to Africa.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
by Idaho1945
Never heard of cash being confiscated, is that something new? On my first trip over in 2001 I had $7,000 cash in a money belt inside a plastic bag. On this last trip it was much less cash & more credit card, but again the confiscation surprises me. Someone help me out here.

Over $10,000 undeclared is subject to unconstitutional theft by government thugs.

Dick,
not sure what Aces meant, and not putting words in his mouth...
When he says Thugs, it's not just in Africa.

If you were driving to the Airport and had a tail light out...the nice officer who
pulls you over will recognize that you are traveling. If you answer his gun question
honestly, (or any one of other paths) you will be asked if you are carrying a large amount of cash.

He will then almost certainly confiscate all of your cash.
You won't be charged, you committed no crime.
You will then have to hire a lawyer and sue to get it back.
If you win, and if you are lucky, in a couple years you will get half back.

This addresses the LEO side.

This is from a victim's side.
1:30 if you want to avoid the backstop.

Google to check, this can and does happen in Idaho.
They reformed the laws, but only the most egregious parts were modified.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Years ago when hunting in Africa I took a half-dozen used Leatherman tools (or knockoffs) I'd picked up cheap in pawn shops before traveling. I handed those out (along with cash), and they put a pleased grin on everyone's face! Apparently you can repair most anything wrong on a Land Rover with one!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by DonFischer
Something I read about carrying large amount's of cash. $5000+. You draw out that much cash from the bank and the bank is required to inform law enforcement. Then if they catch you, the money is taken away as suspected drug money until you can prove it's not! I think if you were totake lost of cash I'd check into getting money used where your going well in advance. If all your taking is a credit card, I went back to Mich when my dad died and had to let the bank know I'd be using it back there. Doesn't seem to me like there's an easy way to take money and be able to use it!

Never herd of such a thing, cash transaction's over 10k are reported to the IRS.

IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by Georat
I’ve only ever carried enough cash for tips to the PH and staff and at the airport. I’ve always fo7nd a credit card to be the best way to pay for anything. I can’t think of a reason to carry over $10k but I’d certainly declare it f I did.

Mule Deer - I’m not sure that travelers checks are even a thing anymore. More than once I’ve had them refused here in the US.

Actually they still do exist--and even if years old can still be cashed.

The only time I've had them "refused" was in a pizza place in a small town north of New York City--which was owned by an Italian family. This was in 1986, and when we tried to pay with an Amex check, the mother said, "We don't take-a the checks." Whereupon her daughter said, "You gotta. They don't have any real money." So mama did....

Ha! We were on Waikiki Beach after dark, when we were approached by a group of Native Hawaiians selling leis (illegally on the beach) - very nice ones...

Claimed they were raising money to go to another island for baseball. So - what the hell?

We mentioned we were from Alaska, and I handed them a $20 for two - more than they were asking by just a bit. They looked skeptical, and asked, "Is this real money?"

I snatched the 20 back right out of his hand and said, "not any more!"

We got called names as we walked off, for quite awhile!

Sometimes ignorance is not bliss. smile

On our 10-day photo safari to Tanzania, we took $1500 in cash for tips.

We ran out, and had to hit an ATM in a mall in a small town..

Our guide was VERY nervous.... and it was his tip we were getting! smile

Restrooms were very clean at all our stops in the parks, with an attendant on hand to immediately clean up after every use. Jobs R Us.

I tipped every one of them $2.00 - figured they could use it better than I. Probably spoiled them... smile

No clue about hunting safari situation.

Last edited by las; 08/26/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Recently, I told my safari outfitter that I will only pay in Bitcoin, gold or ivory. He responded with, "The Yankee dollar is still the preferred financial currency." We had a good laugh.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1941USMC, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 42 invisible), 2,269 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,643
Posts18,493,286
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.