Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yeah that looks quite a bit darker than the olive green stock on the last model Montana's.....Hb

HR IC

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Did Kimber change the color of the "new" Montana stock?....Hb
Kind of a nice baby food brown.

I actually like it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Yeah. I don’t mind it myself either.

Semper Fi
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I’ve seen some pics of the new Montana’s pictured with two swivel studs on the front of the stock, and some with only one. Can anyone with a new Montana confirm the configuration? Thanks!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Two.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Two.
Damn! Not good news for me, I dont care for the look..Hb

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Two.

Yea it needs a bipod to make it look good.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Two.

Could you not just remove one?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by LSU fan
Two.

Could you not just remove one?
My thoughts exactly. Seems a simple enough solution to a problem that is purely aesthetic preference.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Would also prefer a single stud, but would really just use the gun

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
If you removed one of the studs I wonder what you could use to plug the big hole in your stock? And why would anyone want to mount a heavy eye sore of a bi-pod on a svelte little Mountain rifle like a Kimber Montana?....Hb

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
If you removed one of the studs I wonder what you could use to plug the big hole in your stock? And why would anyone want to mount a heavy eye sore of a bi-pod on a svelte little Mountain rifle like a Kimber Montana?....Hb

My thoughts exactly. I feel the same way about the muzzle threads too.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A

The Ruger African models had two front swivel studs; one drilled into the forend as well as a barrel band. Ruger supplied a flush head cap screw to hide the forend hole when the barrel band was being used. It has a three letter code on the head which makes me think you could find one in the fasteners section of a hardware store or similar. I would bet you could do the same with the Kimber.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by Jeffrey

Yeah the abomination would be nearly complete if you screwed on a can along with a bi-pod Then to top it off you could mount a 2lb Nightforce 30mm scope, THEN your sleek little Montana would be perfect 😂....Hb

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Jeffrey

Yeah the abomination would be nearly complete if you screwed on a can along with a bi-pod Then to top it off you could mount a 2lb Nightforce 30mm scope, THEN your sleek little Montana would be perfect 😂....Hb

Makes you wonder about the people running Kimber. Now their third iteration of the Montana and the first seems to be the gold standard. Next version will have a 20MOA rail come standard.

C
CBB15 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
How about that bolt slop?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CBB15

Go back up in this thread and re-read greydog's post...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
C
CBB15 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Brad

Thanks Brad. I did read and appreciate his post. I disagree, excessive bolt slop matters, to me anyway. I understand tolerances and how loose tolerances can stack up. None of which is evidence of quality machining. I am not beating up Kimber. I have seen very good ones and terrible ones. I just wonder where they land in current manufacture. I like the rifle.

I don't expect the factory rifle to be as tight as my custom actions but I also cannot accept a rifle sold under a quality guise to be put together poorly. I have known several that were so loose they rattled in hand. That is unacceptable slop.

Last edited by CBB15; 08/26/23.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Thanks Brad. I did read and appreciate his post. I disagree, excessive bolt slop matters, to me anyway. I understand tolerances and how loose tolerances can stack up. None of which is evidence of quality machining. I am not beating up Kimber. I have seen very good ones and terrible ones. I just wonder where they land in current manufacture. I like the rifle.

I don't expect the factory rifle to be as tight as my custom actions but I also cannot accept a rifle sold under a quality guide to be put together poorly. I have known several that were so loose they rattled in hand. That is unacceptable slop.

Greydog is one of the finer smith's around, who also happens to understand crf actions (not all do). CRF's are built to have a certain amount of "slop" (think of the Mauser 98 or M70). They're made to cycle in crap conditions. If you're looking for benchrest tolerances, you'll do better with other actions, which also don't always work in the worst conditions.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I don't expect the factory rifle to be as tight as my custom actions but I also cannot accept a rifle sold under a quality guide to be put together poorly. I have known several that were so loose they rattled in hand. That is unacceptable slop.

Greydog is one of the finer smith's around, who also happens to understand crf actions (not all do). CRF's are built to have a certain amount of "slop" (think of the Mauser 98 or M70). They're made to cycle in crap conditions. If you're looking for benchrest tolerances, you'll do better with other actions, which also don't always work in the worst conditions.

Not sure about the slop, but mine locks up pretty tightly. I have a Defiance Deviant with CRF and the 3 POS safety and I can’t feel much difference myself between the two?

Semper Fi
C
CBB15 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
True and true. I agree with you. The term excessive is the key.

I own several model 70s. Factory and not so factory.
I just don't want the damn thing to rattle. None of my M70s do.

If everything is cut square it likely won't matter but it bugs the [bleep] out of me.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 1badf350, 55 invisible), 2,363 guests, and 1,031 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,802
Posts18,496,324
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.