Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Whip Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hey guys, quick question...
I live in Montana and want to put one of those pistol red dots on a 45-70. I'm not looking for a tube type red dot as I want to maintain the looks of the rifle and I thought the low profile sights many are running on their pistols would fit the bill for <100yds here in Montana. And I admit to knowing nothing about these sights or if there's even anything made that'll take the thumping the 45-70 will give it. So I'm asking the experts here on the forum. Is this doable? Thanks for any replies:)

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I think you’re asking about a reflex site…

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's certainly doable. I have a Trijicon RMR on a shotgun that has stood up to many 12 gauge 3 1/2" loads. So it would certainly stand up to a .45-70.

But I'd still go with a traditional red dot over a reflex. They really aren't much more obtrusive than a reflex. I thinks it's a better choice for a long gun. The Aimpoint Micro H and T series are fanatstic and will, likewise, hold up to a lot of very heavy recoil. I use an Aimpoint T2 on a semiauto 12 gauge slug gun.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I've got a Holosun 407cx2 on a Winchester 94 and I like it.. Doesn't change the weight/balance/handling enough to notice and is very fast to get on target. They're made to take slamming back and forth on the slide of a CF auto pistol so should hold up fine.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Exposed emitter on a hunting rifle?

That's a no from me dawg.

I hunt in rain, snow or shine.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Something like the Sig Romeo 5 may work well for you. To me, acquisition of the red dot comes more quickly with this than it does my pistol red dots. I'd put one on a lever gun without hesitation if I didn't need to use it in low light.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Something like the Sig Romeo 5 may work well for you. To me, acquisition of the red dot comes more quickly with this than it does my pistol red dots. I'd put one on a lever gun without hesitation if I didn't need to use it in low light.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I know several guys with SBL/Romeo 5 setups. They like them.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by goalie

You use some kind of lens cover on your scope or do you just use irons on rainy/snowy days ? If lens covers, why couldn't you use one of the fitted rubber covers that slide on over a reflex ? They come off as quickly and quietly as any scope lens cover.

Whip Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A reflex sight. That was what I was referring to thanks for the help. Just something simple for my 62 year old eyes sounds good to me and here in the brush it'd be all I'd need. And not really change the guns looks or handling too much.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Whip, I am doing this on a similar project which involved a Savage 99 rebarreled to 450 Bushmaster. I literally looked at most every quality option and the choice I came down to is the Aimpoint Nano model but there is a more common model in the USA called the Acro. They work damn good, look good, and if you can mount them low enough, will co-witness with your iron sights. I am having to make a custom mount to get this as low as I need it. Super fast, and great for aging eyes like mine.

https://www.gandrtactical.com/Aimpoint-NANO-W-BT-39mm-High-Mount-Picatinny_p_1193.html

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart

You use some kind of lens cover on your scope or do you just use irons on rainy/snowy days ? If lens covers, why couldn't you use one of the fitted rubber covers that slide on over a reflex ? They come off as quickly and quietly as any scope lens cover.

Flip ups on a scope. Open emitter in rain is going to be
FUBAR in no time at all once the cover is off.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Flip ups on a scope. Open emitter in rain is going to be
FUBAR in no time at all once the cover is off.
Scope is pretty fubar in no time too. I've done more than my share of hunting in rain, sleet and snow with scoped rifles and all my scopes wear flip ups. I don't know about you but I usually shoot within a couple seconds after the covers flip up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
YMMV, but my rain and open emitter experiences were exponentially worse than my rain and scope experiences.

Do what works for you. I'd at least go closed emitter if I had to have a micro dot on a 45/70.

That said, my 45/70 has a Trijicon 1-4

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm double digits with the Romeo 5 and have yet to suffer an issue. Hint.

Pretty dry here. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

I'm double digits in open emitters too(507 K's) and patiently await the first issue. They are flogged upon without mercy,though it's dry here. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

395 members (1Longbow, 163bc, 1lesfox, 160user, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 37 invisible), 2,818 guests, and 1,128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,651
Posts18,533,818
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.