Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 1beaver_shooter
Some clown comes over the cb,"driver ,you think you can climb that hill just a little faster?" Reply, yea I could but the company wants me to stay in the truck.

I don't mind the uphill over Wolf Creek Pass, but still have a$$ puckering flash backs of doing a 360-degree spin after hitting a patch of black ice back in 1983 whenever I pass that place while going downhill toward Pagosa Springs.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
It's a pleasant train ride. And beautiful, of course. You'll probably like it.

Retired cat herder.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I was there a few years ago,...took the train ride to Silverton. It was an okay trip but I was ready to get off the train by the time we got there. My favorite places to visit in Colarodo is Colorado National Monument and Mesa Verde. I also had a good time staying at the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park and driving up to 13,000 feet in Rocky Mountain National Park.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Went there last month even, over the Million Dollar Highway and then on to Mesa Verde.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Great trip. We went a few years ago. Mesa Verde national park with cliff dwellings was really interesting. Great breakfast place on the way. Did white water rafting in Durango. Also did a bus to Silverton and the train back. Spent a couple of days in Ouray - great town, good hiking. Rented a Jeep and went into the mountains. Fantastic scenery!

IC B2

M
MLC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Booked it in January of this year and went May 16 on the Steam train over night package which includes one night in Silverton. It was really nice. You have to keep in mind that if you just do the day trip you are only going to have about 2 hours to look around Silverton after getting something to eat before you have to get back on the train. Train had to stop twice on the way up to get water and only once on the way down.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]screen shot in windows

Any politician who thinks they can fight the evil that has consumed the government is delusional or lying. There is no political solution.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Winston Church
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
One of the 6 or so favorite places. I'm glad I didn't discover it before I was in my late teen years, otherwise I woulda gone to Ft.Lewis and flunked out. Still return on a regular basis.

There is also "Wasted State" in Gunnisonn smirk

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I elk hunted all around that area back in the mid 70s, and again in the late 90s. Even ate a couple of meals at Joe Cocker's bar and grill which I think was near Ouray. Beautiful country.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
We were there 3 years ago.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I always wanted to snap a picture of my Dodge Durango next to the "Welcome to Durango" sign -- but never did.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Aagaardsporter
Back in the day there was a rodeo complete with mutton busting. North of town there was an outfit that took you on a horseback trail ride followed with a tasty chuck wagon supper.

That was owned and run by John Neely and his wife, Bell. John also owned Over The Hill Outfitters. I elk hunted with him three times. I know that several years ago he sold the outfitting business to a couple other guides. I doubt he is still running the trail rides as he'd be pretty long in the tooth now ... if he's alive.

We hunted in beautiful country and killed a couple of bulls.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
One of the 6 or so favorite places. I'm glad I didn't discover it before I was in my late teen years, otherwise I woulda gone to Ft.Lewis and flunked out. Still return on a regular basis.

There is also "Wasted State" in Gunnisonn smirk

I just meant I would of never been in class, would of been in the country around it nonstop.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Durango is my favorite town to visit in all of Colorado.
Great food / Restaurants: Season’s is first class with great steaks, Carver Brewing Company for great burgers and beer.
Duranglers Fly Shop is one of the best little Fly Fishing Shops I’ve been to Nationwide! Their guides are also outstanding if you want to book a float trip.
There’s world class fly fishing for huge rainbows and brown trout over on the San Juan River in the Quality Waters just over the NM state line.
And there is Gardenswartz, a great little gun & hunting supply shop. Plus several other outdoors / hiking / camping type stores.
Be sure to stop at the original Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory. It’s right next to the train station.
Best chocolate I’ve had from anywhere in the World.

And as others mentioned, Mesa Verde Cliff Dwellings and National Park is a must see destination!
Also, it’s only a couple of hours drive from Durango to Monument Valley on the largest Reservation in the USA.
Be sure to try some Navajo Fry Bread if you go there.

Also, as others mentioned, The Million Dollar Highway is worth the drive.

And of course, the train ride to Silverton is outstanding.
They used that train in the filming of “Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid” movie with Redford & Paul Newman.
Much of the movie was filmed in and around Durango, including the scene where they jumped off the cliff into the river. It was filmed on the Animas River just outside of Durango.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 08/26/23.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Colorado is full. Take some cool pictures, do not post them on social media and tell anyone where you were, then please leave. Only exception for staying here is you vote screaming hot red, drive an 1980s square body truck and have two AR's on your back window gun rack.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You can stroll around downtown sniffing the marijuana smoke. Just don't bring any of it back to the Zion Curtain.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
You can stroll around downtown sniffing the marijuana smoke. Just don't bring any of it back to the Zion Curtain.

Damned dope “dispenseries” have just about RUINED Colorado.

Downtown Denver is like a 3rd world Schitthole now.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Sycamore
last weekend, as a matter of fact. very nice town. lots to do, lots to see. nice gun store downtown, gardenswartz sports I think, outdoor store downtown called pine needle moutaineering. great bookstore downtown called Marias Books. good liquor store called Starr liquors, not downtown. River gear at 4 corners river sports.

Pretty much got everything you could need or want in a mountain town. and ski area is 30 miles away, so close enough if you want to go, but not in your face.
It was an old tradition to shoot an arrow into the plastic elk hanging over the door of Gardenswartz just before archery season started. They didn’t care for that tradition much.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You'll have fun Tikka. I grew up in CO. and drove through Durango a couple times and rode in the Iron Horse Classic MTB race in 87'or 88'. Only claim to fame was crashing on the same hill 5 out of 7 laps and having Ned Overend and Joe Murray lap on the last go around. Cool area back then.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

T
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by BeanMan
Here’s a local tip for Tikkanut, don’t say y’all. People will assume you’re a Texan instead of a Utard. Much worse in this part of the world.

OK

I'll be sure to wear my Trump 2024 hoodie so they know I'm not from CO

Most likely more Libtards in CO than UT

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (02bfishn, 1Longbow, 1234, 1lessdog, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 58 invisible), 2,405 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,570
Posts18,491,864
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.