Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
WHO makes a really comfortable shoulder holster for a full size steel 1911 or Hi-Power?

Have a Bianchi X15 (I think?) Its OK for wearing for short periods, but makes my neck sore after a few hours.

I've probably had this holster for 40 years. Is there something better now days?

Thanks!

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Maybe the X style harness like Galco makes, but maybe another maker that makes it that as well?

Don't know that's going on with Galco lately but their prices a through the roof. Vertical SH's don't seem to be extremely popular & I see some great deals on lightly used ones on Ebay.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just read over 20 pages of reviews on the Miami classic by Galco.

People seem to like this one very well, and they are very comfortable.

Anyone here have one they use personally?

Over $300. But it sounds like "you get what you pay for"

Thanks for any feedback! Virgil B.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange
WHO makes a really comfortable shoulder holster for a full size steel 1911 or Hi-Power?
Have a Bianchi X15 (I think?) Its OK for wearing for short periods, but makes my neck sore after a few hours.
I've probably had this holster for 40 years. Is there something better now days?
Thanks!
Just read over 20 pages of reviews on the Miami classic by Galco.
People seem to like this one very well, and they are very comfortable.
Anyone here have one they use personally?
Over $300. But it sounds like "you get what you pay for"
In my experience, the Galco Miami Classic shoulder rig is indeed comfortable for carrying a 1911 and two mags. However, because it carries the pistol horizontally, unless you’re a particularly large fellow, the protruding muzzle will require a thoughtful choice of covering garment. The Miami Classic is at its best with revolvers, which it carries more muzzle high (I have them for my 3” J-, K-, and L-Frame revolvers).

For me, the better shoulder holster for the 1911 has been the (discontinued) Bianchi #13 Scorpio shoulder holster rig, which carries the pistol at a sufficiently muzzle-high angle that a loose shirt offers reasonable concealment, it comes (sorry, came) with a superior mag carrier, and is equally comfortable too.

AND,
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
… you could be into it for about half the cost of a new Galco.

Here’s my Bianchi #13 rig:

Here’s my other Bianchi #13 1911 holster component, mickey-moused to an old Safariland Model 7 shoulder harnesses:

Under a Hawaiian shirt, even I hardly notice it’s there.

Every day’s an adventure.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunzo
.....Don't know that's going on with Galco lately but their prices a through the roof.

I get 20% discount emails from Galco probably weekly, maybe more often. Probably just have to sign up on their website.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Exchipy;

That's good information!

I never thought about the barrel poking out the back of my cloths.

I'm 5'9" and 200+ lbs. So am thinking with the proper clothing I "should" be "thick" enough to OK.

I like the idea of the X design to support the weight better, plus the strap won't ride up my neck like the X 15.

Too bad the Scorpio has been discontinued!

Gotta think this through before I decide.

Thanks for the ideas! Virgil B.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Exchipy;
That's good information!
I never thought about the barrel poking out the back of my cloths.
I'm 5'9" and 200+ lbs. So am thinking with the proper clothing I "should" be "thick" enough to OK.
I like the idea of the X design to support the weight better, plus the strap won't ride up my neck like the X 15.
Too bad the Scorpio has been discontinued!
Gotta think this through before I decide.
Thanks for the ideas! Virgil B.
I’m 5’9”, currently 188 pounds, and it’s not enough to properly conceal a 1911 in a Galco Miami Classic.

The Galco shoulder harness X design is most excellent, can be easily mated with Bianchi #13 holster and mag pouch components, but can cause some discomfort as load weight increases (as with hi-cap guns and mags). On the other hand, for good weight distribution, Southeast Asian farmers, and others like them, have for centuries relied upon the yoke design for carrying unbelievably heavy loads with relative ease.

There’s no reason it’s gotta be new (mine were both acquired 2nd hand). The eBay info, pictured above, is from this morning.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I am quite happy with this vertical carry Galco.
[Linked Image from galcogunleather.com]

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Idaho Shooter;

That's a good looking set up!

It looks like it would be just as comfortable as the Miami Classic.

Will check these out also.

Virgil B.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I just checked out the vertical Galco holster.

It isn't listed for a Springfield SA-35 or Browning Hi-Power.

I'm thinking the one for a 5" 1911 should work?

Also, looks like there's enough adjustments in the Miami Classic to tilt the butt down, thus concealing the muzzle better?

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Have three Miami Classics here. 44mag, G20, and J frame. Used the G20 one for elk hunter for years. It's no doubt comfortable, even under backpack straps. However, I didn't like the muzzle pointing at everyone behind me, and also found access to the pistol in a hurried situation wasn't possible. I usually had some jacket or outer layer that covered the holster and required opening before reaching for the gun. In a true defensive situation requiring immediate need, the holster didn't work. It was slow and cumbersome at best.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The pistol I'm packing is a Springfield SA-35, a copy of the Browning Hi-Power.

A little shorter than a 5" 1911, so it won't poke out the back of a Miami classic quite as much as the full size 1911.

Been packing it in a Milt Sparks Summer Special IWB for a 1911, but it was getting to be too much weight on my belt,

With a Colt Detective Special in a cross draw holster as a back up on the other side.

Transferring the weight of the SA-35 to my shoulders will balance things out better.

Thanks for the feedback! Virgil B.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, I went ahead and ordered the Galco Miami Classic for my Springfield SA-35

Got it through Midway for $225. with free shipping.

Sure hope it works as well as it's claimed to, and is as comfortable.

Thanks again for all the GREAT feedback! Virgil B.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Look at frontiergunleather.com - it is John Bianchi's shop in Palm Desert, CA.

I have 4 of his Vulcan holsters though saw his latest shoulder rigs on display. Web site should give you a good idea.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Also, looks like there's enough adjustments in the Miami Classic to tilt the butt down, thus concealing the muzzle better?
Virgil B.
That’s what I thought. Didn’t turn out that way, though.

Well, I went ahead and ordered the Galco Miami Classic for my Springfield SA-35
Got it through Midway for $225. with free shipping.
Sure hope it works as well as it's claimed to, and is as comfortable.
Thanks again for all the GREAT feedback! Virgil B.
It should certainly be comfortable. And, I hope you’ll find its concealability to your liking.

If by chance you’re less than satisfied, however, you can always easily attach an appropriate Bianchi #13 holster component to the Galco shoulder harness and mag pouch. That’s what I ended up doing for my light weight S&W 3913 and its mags. My larger, heavier S&W 645, 4006 and 5906 really needed the Bianchi #13 yoke harness to adequately handle their weight, plus the weight of their loaded mags, using their own, dedicated #13 “S&W Auto” holster component, but sharing the same harness and mag pouch with my 1911s, using their #13 “45 Auto” holster component. Takes but a few seconds to swap out holster components.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Exchipy;

More good advice!

I'll buy a Bianchi #13 holster to hook on my Miami Classic harness, IF my SA-35 won't conceal well enough.
I also have a SIG P-365. It might be nice to have a #13 holster for it, for when I want to pack something lighter.

Thanks again! Virgil B.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Exchipy;
More good advice!
I'll buy a Bianchi #13 holster to hook on my Miami Classic harness, IF my SA-35 won't conceal well enough.
I also have a SIG P-365. It might be nice to have a #13 holster for it, for when I want to pack something lighter.
Thanks again! Virgil B.
Takes a bit more time and effort to switch holsters on the Miami Classic harness than it does on the Bianchi #13 harness, but not too much more.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have the Miami vice for glock 19 and two mags for long time. It is ok to wear and quick to put on. As previously poster said, probably not the fastest or easiest to draw from. It'll do the job though. Although it probably isn't logical, I still don't like the muzzle pointing at people I don't want to shoot while carrying.

If I were buying a new shoulder holster, I'd be really tempted to order one from. Sam Andrew's. I have several of his other holsters and they're solid.

There are a lot of videos out there with pros, cons, tips.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hard to beat an old Heiser 125......

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Montana Shoulder Rig.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

320 members (1lesfox, 160user, 22kHornet, 1badf350, 21, 12344mag, 30 invisible), 1,844 guests, and 1,127 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,633
Posts18,493,080
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.