Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
GFY

Perfect. Thanks for your input.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Sako76
Originally Posted by plumbum
Originally Posted by Sako76
There was almost a fight on the bus going to the camp between some American hunters and some douche bag Canucks!

What happened?

On the bus ride to camp, these Frenchy [bleep] we’re getting up and making speeches in French. I think one guy said “speak English” and another guy said “STFU” and it started. No punches throw but a couple of them were nose to nose!

IMHO those French Canuck’s are azzholes! Say hi to them at the plane and they turn away. Waiters in the restaurants are the same. Only thing good about Montreal were the hot French blondes in leather outfits!

The show Letterkenney made fun of them. Pretty funny. Les Hiques

[Linked Image from static.wikia.nocookie.net]

N
OP Offline
N
Thanks, everyone! Longbeardking, I've read your posts - they've been very helpful.

Any input on bringing antlers back to the US? The outfitter says they don't help with anything related to taxidermy when I asked. But if a brought a hacksaw I could cut the antlers off myself. My understand of the US customs web page is that it's fine to bring antlers in as long as they don't have any non-antler tissue on them. Anyone have experience to the contrary?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Our Anticosti outfitter quartered and boxed our deer and cut the racks as part of the package. Last year, I bought back caribou and moose meat, antlers and a cape from New Foundland no problem, just declared it and filled out a US form at the border. Customs never looked at any of it.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by NateBriggs
Thanks, everyone! Longbeardking, I've read your posts - they've been very helpful.

Any input on bringing antlers back to the US? The outfitter says they don't help with anything related to taxidermy when I asked. But if a brought a hacksaw I could cut the antlers off myself. My understand of the US customs web page is that it's fine to bring antlers in as long as they don't have any non-antler tissue on them. Anyone have experience to the contrary?
hacksaw would be my last choice... better saws for bones...

And I'd be a bit leery of an outfitter that didn't help you get all your stuff ready to cross the border...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Originally Posted by NateBriggs
Hi everyone. Seems like this is the only place on the internet where people discuss their experience hunting on Anticosti island in Canada. I'm planning a trip there this September. May I ask for your advice?

I'm wondering how long shot distances tend to be. The forest looks dense (close shots) but I think there are also open marsh areas (long shots). Can someone who's been there shed some light?

Also, do no you recommend bringing shooting sticks? I haven't hunted we with sticks before but I'm wondering if they'd be useful here.

And the deer tend to be somewhat small bodied, right? I'm thinking of bringing my 243 and shooting Barnes Vor-Tx rounds. They perform great at the range and I appreciate their flat trajectory. And if the deer aren't particularly large they'd probably do just fine.

Any other advice also very welcome!

Hi,

I am off to Anticosti in a week and a half. This will be my 20+ trip to the island. My shots have been from a few feet to 275+ yards. I have tried shooting sticks (monopod and folding bipod) on a few occasions. They are a great idea but I was better off without them. They were simply another thing to carry. For close range shots, the sticks got in the way. For longer range shots I have used trees and logs for support. The thing to remember of the island is that you will find yourself very different situations in the space of a short time. A walk through dense forest can end at an open bog. Good luck and good hunting.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Shooting sticks are never a bad idea, I take them on every hunt. Sometimes I use them as a walking aid and other times they're collapsed and riding in my daypack.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1OntarioJim, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 22250rem, 219DW, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,399 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,799
Posts18,496,275
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.