L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Zipper went out on my oldCabelas (pre Bass-pro) hunting fanny pack

I like that pack.

Checked out Cabelas and SW in Anch today and SW here in Slowdotna today. Holy Crap, Batman!!!

SW has nothing. Cabelas only a buncha yuppie shoulder harness stuff that I don't like - at $200 and up!

I ain't gonna live long enough to make that reasonable- and I don't want over the shoulder boulder holder crapo anyway. That's for pussies. If I need that much support, I'll use a day-pack - got those! And not one of them was design I liked!

Gotta find me a zipper replacement seamstress.

Ya - don't even ask my wife... smile

Meanwhile, I'll use a back-pack. Got a half-dozen of those.

pick color.... smile

Last edited by las; 08/27/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mountiansmith has their 13L lumbar pack on sale for approx $58-68 regularly $90. They offer a 9 Liter fanny on sale as well if you want that size.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
A shoe repair shop can probably fix it.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Check this one out: MOLLE belt pack

About $15, decent size, military surplus.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Big Woods Bucks has a couple sizes of hunting fanny packs. Wool, quiet and well made.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The lady that did all those type of repairs in town passed last Fall in her '80's. I think she's more missed than anyone who passed in the last couple of decades.

I'm so tired of junk. The zipper on the last Carhart jacket lasted a year and a half. Nuts.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I try to avoid zippers.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Learn to sew, it will set you free.

https://questoutfitters.com/zippers.htm
https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collections/zippers
https://www.owfinc.com/Zippers/departments/327/

Search Youtube for broken zippers, you may be able to fix it yourself.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the info.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Man, it’s all across the board. Now you see why a number of members here have been adamantly against Covid practices. It has retarded our supply chains at best for decades. We may never recover. Getting paid to not work or work from home, lack of service made the norm, etc has plagued us all.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I cut the YKK zippers out of my old Key coveralls and saved them. The zippers in most items seem to be plastic these days. Luckily I knew off a seamstress that would put the old zippers in new coveralls. Added brass snaps where they needed to be. Had the same done on a nice camo coat too.
The coat was quality but the zipper was light plastic junk.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Road-trip- apocalypse design in squarebanks can replace or repair zipper for cheap. They have the best and most durable fanny packs as well.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by JMR40
A shoe repair shop can probably fix it.

Yup. Any decent shoe or leatherworking shop can fix you up quick with a new zipper that's a lot better than what came on it.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Back in the early 90's my Uncle told me his cousin had to sell his Canvas Company because of cancer and would sell it cheep.....5 heavy duty sewing machines other tooling and material for boat covers.....I bought every thing $5000 cash a steel back then....even sold one machine to a Canadian that came and picked it up for $4000 it was a super heavy duty machine used to build bullet proof vests....
It took 6 truck loads and 5 8'x14' trailer loads to get every thing....I've made a lot of cash building boat covers and selling off equipment....

I repair anything and everything that you can think of that can be sewn....have a Cabelas camo Goretex jacket and pants that I bought in the early 70's that I have repaired at least a dozen times and is still in great condition and used every winter...

It simple to sew just takes a little time to learn to use the machine....you can pick-up a good used machine for $100 on line....do a couple jobs and it will pay for its self....

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I had an old woman up the hill from me that could sew well and she fixed my stuff for 3 or 4 dollars. Unfortunately she passed away a couple of months ago.

L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
You got off cheap. Took my pack in this morning to a local seamstress. Just got the call- it's ready. I'll pick it up in the morning for a mere $35 - but that beats the hell out of a new one, none of which I like. And I leave tomorrow afternoon for a cabin/trip, maybe hunt, up in Interior. Brand new Ouboard, with just two hours break-in time on it.MAYBE We will get there this time- 4th time the charm?

Of course, if I had a good wife, AND who wasn't out of state right now, AND she was willing to use her machine for me, or let me use it.....

I think I'll give the seamstress $40. She is Chinese or Korean, maybe, broken English, and looks like they can use it. While I still have some $. Just got back from the vet. Dachshund hurt his back jumping out of the truck last night before I could- as usual- help him out. Lil fughead!. By this evening, his back legs were inop - looks like he irritated a previously damaged disc- probably from that wolf-dog that got hold of him by the back and shook him awhile back.

$857. X rays, sedative, cortisone shot. We'll see how much our pet insurance will re-imburse.

Looks like just the start.... MRI and probably surgery coming up. There goes another 10K.....

Vets gotta live too, and the only true cost of having a dog....

I don't think supply chains are still impacted.

It's all a the market can stand, plus 10%, free-for-all. You want it, they got it. And you by the balls. They know it.

Gas just hit $4.57 here. $130 to fill up my wife's Expedition. On the way home from the vet! I'm so puckered I'm walking funny - but unlike the Weiner, I'm still walking, anyway. smile

Last edited by las; 08/28/23.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Do rehab. Don't do surgery. IVB surgery has a lower chance of success than you think. Tier I in Wasilla will cost you 15K and not offer a completely great prognosis. Instead get your dog a doggie wheel chair and work on rehabbing. Our Frenchie girl was paralyzed from the back down and we had to buy toddler diapers but she is good now. It took about 7-8 months of working with her. It might not work for you but it worked for me and another one of the teachers at school that had her lab slip a disc. Just saying.....

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by las
Zipper went out on my oldCabelas (pre Bass-pro) hunting fanny pack

I like that pack.

Checked out Cabelas and SW in Anch today and SW here in Slowdotna today. Holy Crap, Batman!!!

SW has nothing. Cabelas only a buncha yuppie shoulder harness stuff that I don't like - at $200 and up!

I ain't gonna live long enough to make that reasonable- and I don't want over the shoulder boulder holder crapo anyway. That's for pussies. If I need that much support, I'll use a day-pack - got those! And not one of them was design I liked!

Gotta find me a zipper replacement seamstress.

Ya - don't even ask my wife... smile

Meanwhile, I'll use a back-pack. Got a half-dozen of those.

pick color.... smile

Las…I’m pretty sure I have a big Badlands Fanny pack that’s like new….if you are interested just send me an address and it’ll be on its way. 👍🏼

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Thanks, Aces, but it looks like I'm GTG.

If I am not, I'm going anyway! smile

Damn the expense, the outboard, the crippled dog, and FJB! Full speed ahead!

Last edited by las; 08/28/23.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 163bc, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 52 invisible), 2,565 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,917
Posts18,498,401
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.