Print Thread
Hop To
K
Ky221 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Looking to replace the leupold that's on my Ruger 77 .308 and I've narrowed it down to the 2-10 Toric or the 3-10 SHV. I have owned a 2-10 toric in the past, and own a 3-15 currently. Pretty happy with them overall. My biggest complaint and a petty one at that is the color of the scope...isnt a big deal, obviously as I've owned/own a couple.

For those that have used both, How does the SHV compare to the Toric? Is the ShV worth the additional 375$ over the tract?

The nightforce moves me up to a 30mm which I really don't need, but not a deal breaker if it's truly superior.

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've had good results with both. I think the 2-10 Toric may be one of the best 1" scopes I've used. I did a fair amount of dialing with it and it was perfect there. Really nice elevation turret config to allow someone to dial if they wish or use the lower elevation turret with the option to cap both of them. I did a very harsh drop test with it several years back and it lost zero there, but the same test caused a SWFA 6x to lose zero....in all honesty it was too harsh of a test, so I don't fault the scope.

I use the 3-10 SHV on a couple of rifles. Optically the two are pretty similar to my eye. If it came down to absolute toughness, I think the SHV would be the better choice simply because the 30mm tube will be stronger than the 1" tube if they have the same material thickness, though I don't know the specs of each. I don't know the specs NF or Tract gave that LOW follows on internals for the two so I can't speak to that either.

Differences to consider as what may be most important to you:
Weight: The SHV is 22.2, the Toric is 18.6
Mounting length: The SHV is 5.1", the Toric is 5.33" - this can make a difference depending on your mounts, I've had a few issues with the SHV/NXS on long action rifles
OAL: The SHV is 11.6", the Toric is 13.2" - the SHV is a very compact scope
Reticle: I like both the Forceplex and the Tplex. The Forceplex is available with illumination if that matters. The MOAR is a decent reticle but I prefer the Forceplex if you don't need the elevation or windage holds.
FOV on lowest power: SHV is 34.9', Toric is 49' - this does stand out to me when using them, though most of the time I have them on 6x

The area I'd say the SHV is superior is toughness, mainly due to tube size and overall footprint of the scope being smaller so (if mounted with rings as wide as possible) there's less un-sprung tube past the rings.

K
Ky221 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Thanks for the write up JCM.

Is there any other optic I should be considering?

I'd prefer a 1" tube but can do a 30mm. I'd prefer a turret but am not opposed to a bdc type reticle so long as it's not too busy.

F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
I have had both, however not at the same time. For what it’s worth I still gave 5 of the various Tract scopes. I like the weight and feel like it is more than clear enough for what I do. All have tracked true.

If you can look through them both one my be better tomYOUR EYES. I do like the tract bdc reticle and the support in the website to figure where the marks correspond for your cartridge.

YMMV
David

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
All SFP BDC’s are steaming piles of fhuqking schit. Hint………

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Of those two, the SHV.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by Big Stick

What a tool. Big Stick has a little dick.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have both brands, an SHV 4-14 and a Toric 4-20. Between the two, give me the Toric any day over the SHV. The SHV has a very short eye relief which drives me nuts. It also it a 5 mil/rev turret which sucks. For the distance I'm shooting game, I'm fine with a BDC provided I've tested it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by prose
Originally Posted by Big Stick

What a tool. Big Stick has a little dick.

Weren’t my intent to horn you up and laude your HomoeroticFantasies…you “lucky” kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You CLUELESS Droolers are a hoot. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!…………..

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I have a tract toric. No complaints except the cross hairs are too heavy . Great glass and tracking.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ky221

Take a look at Trijicon's Credo and Credo HX scopes.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Keep in mind the SHV is a fairly short scope and really needs a rail to mount it correctly.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have used both considerably, and have had an SHV fail, but not a Tract.

But that failure took place after four years of being my "test" scope for a bunch of rifles, including several that kicked pretty hard.

Any scope can fail if used a lot on rifles that recoil more than, say, a .308 Winchester.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Why, over the Accupoint? I have two 3-9X's AP's awaiting my return to Texas next week. I still prefer 1" scopes for what I do.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM

Why, over the Accupoint? I have two 3-9X's AP's awaiting my return to Texas next week. I still prefer 1" scopes for what I do.

I have never used an Accupoint. The Credo 3-9x40 weighs a bit more, so I suspect that translates to more durability. I prefer the reticle choices on the Credo. I also like the illumination control on the Credo. Lastly, it costs about $80 less. He should look at both of them if he can. The Credo 3-9 is a one inch scope.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

+1

I replaced a leupould with a Trijicon Credo. I am very happy with it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (2003and2013, 257 mag, 257Bob, 257_X_50, 160user, 163bc, 63 invisible), 2,395 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,787
Posts18,477,248
Members73,943
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.