Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
79inpa Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I heard that truckers are not allowed to carry a concealed carry weapon because it is against federal regulations. Is this true?

GB1

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 79inpa
I heard that truckers are not allowed to carry a concealed carry weapon because it is against federal regulations. Is this true?

Yes.

79inpa Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
i'm not really sure that I agree with that law. What do you think?

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I have heard that as well. Is it just short guns, or any firearms?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i'm not really sure that I agree with that law. What do you think?

I have mixed emotions concerning the law. There are times a firearm could be VERY helpful in a Semi. The OTR drivers are forced to park thier rigs and try to sleep in different places every night. Not all of them are safe. The down side is the new hours of service laws force truck drivers to work upwards of 75 hours a week these days. This schedule is forced on drivers by thier employers and it's not optional. Fatigue and roadrage are real and not always a good mix with firearms.

I have heard that as well. Is it just short guns, or any firearms?

All firearms.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you can carry legally in the state then you can carry in a commercial vehicle. Problems come in when crossing state line and it is against many company policies.

I carry in a commercial vehicle every day, but i am a co owner of the company and travel in state only.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I drive pipeline truck which means I drive both on road and off road.
In my case there is a added problem -
If we are building a pipeline that crossed state lines then we will fall under the federal transportion dept. and there for all firearms are prohibited in a commerical vech. wheather it is a pick up or a 18 wheeler..
That being said I'm sure there are drivers that carry for the own good.
As TC1 said we do park it some bad place's like truck stops and rest areas.

Freedom is not free just ask a combat vet.
I'll never forget : Frank , Chief , Cutter and Rat hole
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
There is not a federal regulation saying that a person cannot have a firearm in a cmv. It goes by state laws.

NEVER GIVE UP
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
TC1 is absolutely wrong. NO federal rule prohibiting any kind of firearm in a commercial vehicle.
Now alcohol, that's prohibited.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by fishdog52
TC1 is absolutely wrong. NO federal rule prohibiting any kind of firearm in a commercial vehicle.

You are exactly correct fishdog52. No alcohol allowed, but firearms are allowed, but one must follow state rules as far as firearms. I am real familar with the regulations, trust me.

Maybe TC1 needs to show us in the federal regulations. TC1, I am not wanting to argue, but please show me the Federal Regulations saying that firearms are prohibited?

Last edited by BIGR; 03/22/13.

NEVER GIVE UP
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
New hours of service laws are not forcing people to work 75+ hours. Quite the opposite actually. 60 hours max and mandatory 8 hours in the sleeper berth. CSA and hours of service rules are killing our ability to make a living. Unless you are doing oilfield work..they have their own rules and hours of service.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by BIGR
Originally Posted by fishdog52

You are exactly correct fishdog52. No alcohol allowed, but firearms are allowed, but one must follow state rules as far as firearms. I am real familar with the regulations, trust me.

Maybe TC1 needs to show us in the federal regulations. TC1, I am not wanting to argue, but please show me the Federal Regulations saying that firearms are prohibited?

This.

I carried in state all the time. It was one of the arguments used in trying to get national reciprocity because drivers could NOT defend themselves.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
79inpa Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I think that if I were to trust someone with an 80000 pound missile I would trust them with a gun.

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Concealed laws vary so much state to state you're never completely sure your 100% legal . I wouldn't want to spend my life on the highways or sleeping in a truck in unknown places without a way to protect myself. Just as dangerous as a 3rd shift convenience store clerk job.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

no. there is no federal law precluding an individual operating a CMv from possessing a firearm in said CMV

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by TC1

Yes.
No it is not against Federal law

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Daveinjax
New hours of service laws are not forcing people to work 75+ hours. Quite the opposite actually. 60 hours max and mandatory 8 hours in the sleeper berth. CSA and hours of service rules are killing our ability to make a living. Unless you are doing oilfield work..they have their own rules and hours of service.

that's not the HOS rules. 14 hours combined on duty/ driving status 70 hours in 8 days total, you need 10 hours off duty/sleeper, but it can be broken up in 2 blocks as long as one block is not shorter than 2 hours.

the OIL field has one exemption to the HOS and it takes a very, very specific truck configuration to meet that exemption. aside from that. their rules are exactly the same.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I drove for something over 30 yrs and if there's a federal law against firearms in a truck I never saw it. But the thought was always that firearms were not allowed in a truck. I think where the problem came from back then was the lack of concelled weapon permints and so much different in the states. And then if you go into Canada and get caught I haven't a clue what would happen. I have carried in every state except Haiwai, can.t spell it. Spent much to much time in different fruit markets and meat markets around the country. One time down in Flordia I was sleeping across from the sports center and a couple county sherrifs woke me up to let me know it was a bad place to sleep. Said gays were really hard on people around there. Told them I didn't care if it was alright to shoot them. They asked me if I wanted some ammo!

About the hr's of service, I have no idea how it would be possible to make a living today with the new hrs. As I understand it if your not in the sleeper your on duty working. Driver's then didn't get paid by the hour for on duty working. To make a living years ago was all but impossible due to hrs of service. Only way a living was made was by lying on the logs! Today your either in the sleeper or on duty! I don't recall ever making out a legal log after the first week of so driving. Also in the logs you could not log what you actually did without risking a ticket. We were only allowed to log an average of 50mph no matter what we did! That means we were restricted to 500 miles in a 10 hr period and back then at .10 per mile it didn't come out to much. Forget that in mountain state's you couldn't ave 50mph following the speed limit! Trip through a major city on an interstate during rush hour blew the 50mph average out the window!

Last edited by DonFischer; 09/29/23.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by DonFischer
I drove for something over 30 yrs and if there's a federal law against firearms in a truck I never saw it. But the thought was always that firearms were not allowed in a truck. I think where the problem came from back then was the lack of concelled weapon permints and so much different in the states. And then if you go into Canada and get caught I haven't a clue what would happen. I have carried in every state except Haiwai, can.t spell it. Spent much to much time in different fruit markets and meat markets around the country. One time down in Flordia I was sleeping across from the sports center and a couple county sherrifs woke me up to let me know it was a bad place to sleep. Said gays were really hard on people around there. Told them I didn't care if it was alright to shoot them. They asked me if I wanted some ammo!

About the hr's of service, I have no idea how it would be possible to make a living today with the new hrs. As I understand it if your not in the sleeper your on duty working. Driver's then didn't get paid by the hour for on duty working. To make a living years ago was all but impossible due to hrs of service. Only way a living was made was by lying on the logs! Today your either in the sleeper or on duty! I don't recall ever making out a legal log after the first week of so driving. Also in the logs you could not log what you actually did without risking a ticket. We were only allowed to log an average of 50mph no matter what we did! That means we were restricted to 500 miles in a 10 hr period and back then at .10 per mile it didn't come out to much. Forget that in mountain state's you couldn't ave 50mph following the speed limit! Trip through a major city on an interstate during rush hour blew the 50mph average out the window!

you understand the HOS rules incorrectly. and frankly if you were only speed averaging your logs at 50 mph, its no wonder you couldn't make any money.

you may still use off duty while not being in the sleeper provided you have been relieved of all responsibility of the truck. that's the same as it has always been. in fact you can claim 3 hours of off duty status riding in the passenger seat provided it is immediately before or after a 7 hour stretch in the sleeper.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I suspect you were not driving back in the 1960 till the rules changed!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (160user, 222ND, 2500HD, 2003and2013, 257 mag, 163bc, 59 invisible), 2,388 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,788
Posts18,477,275
Members73,943
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.