Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Originally Posted by Crappie_Killer
Husky for the win

This. I’ve been running them for over 30 years. Mine get used hard, too.

There must be a d i l d o attached to the end of 'em.

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Husky for the win

Husqvarna makes vibrating butt plugs?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Husky for the win

LOL
Those are reciprocating saws you're thinking of.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Well, I have a personal Stihl 029, 036, 044 and 660. And I maintain a work fleet of 6x 362C's (not a big fan), 3x 440's, 4x 460's, and my current work felling saw is a 500ir with a bunch of West Coast Saw custom mods. In the past I've also run 034, 038mag, 056 an 090 and an 090G. Bar lengths from 20-36". I'm a wildland firefighter and C Faller/FAL1 so I run a saw quite a bit in rough conditions and rough country, often felling large and complex hazard trees. We do lots of fuels reduction work when not on fires so I would say conservatively I'm running a saw around 75-100 days a year. I have also done hazard tree felling professionally outside of agency employment. About the only folks that cut more than me are pro fallers employed in logging industry and arborists but that's a different game. You could say I'm a Stihl fan.
The pro grade Husky saws are fine too, just a different feel. The 500i with the west coast mods is a beast in a lightweight package and quickly becoming my favorite, only around 20 tanks through it so far so we'll see how it holds up over time. The only thing I have noticed so far is it heats up quickly when doing a lot of brushing where the saw isn't under much of a load, noticeably quicker than carbureted saws. I want to add a high flow air filter and see if that helps it cool more efficiently.
All this to say, there is no other brand of saw I would choose for professional work where lives depend on performance. They are tools, they require maintenance and upkeep. If the company needs to scale with their current volume of sales then I understand that, while I feel for the folks that have been laid off. The battery powered Stihl's are more impressive than I expected them to be. They have no place in my work and while I am generally against anything electric especially for environmental propaganda reasoning, our recreation folks have a couple of them for campground maintenance and they work well in that regard.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh Goody!!!!!

Finally a chainsaw thread!!!!

Proud NRA Life Member
IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I got tired of the cheap saws
I went and purchased what I thought was a good saw a Poulan wild cat I burned it up in a couple months
Then I purchased a Husky High end Electric saw and burned it up on my very first soft wood China berry live tree.

So I did some home work and picked up a Stihl MS311 Rancher Grade saw and I love it.
Then I needed a small trim saw so I went back the my Stihl dealer and picked up an MS 194T Top handle Pro Grade saw.

Once I figured the learning curve on operating them they have been flawless saws.

I use the MS 194T the most because of how light it is and for it's size how big of a beast it is with the 14" Bar on it.

When I have stuff over about 10"--12" diameter I get the MS311 out and I have (2) Bars for it an 18" and a 25" it is a real beast for me and does the cutting fast for me.

Maybe I screwed up buying Stihl but unless things change I will never buy anything but Stihl's from now on if I need another saw but With what I have I do not think that I will ever need more than I have already.

I did pick up a Ryobi hand trimmer but I do not consider that a chainsaw with an 8" Bar it is a garden trimmer for very small stuff.

Last edited by funshooter; 08/29/23.
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I was falling steady, most if not all of my falling partners ran Stihl saws, 066 magnums usually, I burned a couple of them out, great saw. I always seemed to go back to Husqvarna's, I don't ever remember burning one of them up, 288, always started in the winter, great saw, otherwise it was/is a 394-395.

I currently am running as a backup saw...461 Stihl, but it never gets used because I have a 395 that I use almost everyday, it has cut around 7-800 cords of wood since I bought it new, a bad azz saw. Husqvarna parts interchangeability is better than Stihl imo.

Says on the tag my 395 was made in Brazil lol

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Dogpopper
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by Riverc
Originally Posted by Teal
Company just furloughed 30% of its workforce in VA?

Stihl
I bought the Echo 590 less than 2 months ago but heard Stihl are good if you thinking there will be good deals to be had soon.

Stihl was almost 2 years behind after the Rona BS.

I have heard very bad things about their 500i "Flagship" saw.

What very bad things?

Burning up (wearing out) in a year... Loggers and mill folk comments.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by DicknJane
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by ironbender
More of a poor economy thread.

Yeah.

Stihl is coming off pandemic highs. 2022 was their best year ever.

I believe you... but that seem really odd... Most of 2022... both stores I use were pretty much bare shelf on anything Pro... or ever strong Homeowner.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have stihls and two dewalts. Gas better for serious sawing. Battery lot more convenient for those occasional small jobs. In defense of their 30% goal, I suspect that is in line with market. Many consumers buying a saw won't be cutting a lot and just want something convenient instead of frustration of trying to start one that has been sitting for two years with old gas.

Last edited by Rangersedge; 08/30/23.
IC B3

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
A friend bought me a husky 395xp last year for Christmas. Real friends are so much better than FB friends. The saw's name is Donald, cause he's big and orange and powerful. What does any of this have to do with stihl laying off a bunch of people? Pretty much nuttin.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Bidenomics @ work

FJB & FJT
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by deflave
Husky for the win

LOL
Those are reciprocating saws you're thinking of.

Happened before, at a college, in front of people

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/northwestern-university-p_n_830423

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Oh Goody!!!!!

A 24 hour campfire requires a lot of firewood.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by llamalover2
A friend bought me a husky 395xp last year for Christmas. Real friends are so much better than FB friends. The saw's name is Donald, cause he's big and orange and powerful. What does any of this have to do with stihl laying off a bunch of people? Pretty much nuttin.

Fantastic!

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Oh Goody!!!!!

And zero reading.

Me

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Oh Goody!!!!!

And zero reading.

RIF

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 673
When I was falling steady, most if not all of my falling partners ran Stihl saws, 066 magnums usually, I burned a couple of them out, great saw. I always seemed to go back to Husqvarna's, I don't ever remember burning one of them up, 288, always started in the winter, great saw, otherwise it was/is a 394-395.

I currently am running as a backup saw...461 Stihl, but it never gets used because I have a 395 that I use almost everyday, it has cut around 7-800 cords of wood since I bought it new, a bad azz saw. Husqvarna parts interchangeability is better than Stihl imo.

Says on the tag my 395 was made in Brazil lol

There is a 288 Frankensaw for sale locally.
Over 100cc as configured, can test run.

Just can't justify it, I need another saw like....and when I buy one it needs to be
a nice light 50cc or less. But.....that 288/100 sounds fun!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,410 guests, and 1,378 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,162
Posts18,484,348
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.