Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
6MMWASP Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
What bolt gun would you buy for informal match shooting. Must be ambidextrous stocked as I shoot left handed and the kids that inherit them are right handed. Will be shooting scoped as these old eyes have about given up. Under $1K What rings height to fit a Leupold 6.5-20 X 40 on suggested rifle

Thanks

Last edited by 6MMWASP; 08/29/23.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just saw a Winchester 52B for sale at a gun show for $1K and another one on rimfire central for $600. They are out there if you keep your eyes open. If that is a bit much, look at Winchester 75 Target , CZ , Brno rimfires, and used Anschutz rifles. If you shop around any of those should fit into your budget.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I really like these Kimber of Oregon Model 82s, have several different models and love them all. Mine all shoot very well.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...ic-bolt-rifle-22-lr.cfm?gun_id=102426210

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP
What bolt gun would you buy for informal match shooting. Must be ambidextrous stocked as I shoot left handed and the kids that inherit them are right handed. Will be shooting scoped as these old eyes have about given up. Under $1K What rings height to fit a Leupold 6.5-20 on suggested rifle

Thanks

Defining "informal match shooting" will likely get you some better answers.

For instance - is this just some shooting between you and a couple of buddies or is it local club matches.

What types of rifles are the other shooters using?
If they are using their plinking rifles and you show up with a match rifle it may not be taken very well.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Just a couple of friends, fun shoots. But I like nice accurate rifles.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Any comments on the Manners stocked CZ 457.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
There are plenty of Anschutz and Krico .22 rifle listed for under $1K on GB.

The Marlin 2000s are fairly competitive 22 target rifles. I had a 2000L that was as accurate as my Remington and Winchester target rifles.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I have been seeing a lot of older target rifles locally for pretty cheap. All of which would suffice for the op’s needs. The most recent being a BRNO model 3 for a little over $300, and a CZ 455 trainer for $350. No need to spend even close to $1,000.00 on a nice accurate rimfire rifle.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for all the responses. I hear ya on the $1k limit but thought I'd start there and see where the recommendations went. My sons and grandsons will thank you all in the end. Living in eastern Montana is kind of a desert when it comes to laying my hands on a decent rf rifle just to see what they are like. Good cf and lever guns is a different story.

Last edited by 6MMWASP; 08/29/23.
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP
What bolt gun would you buy for informal match shooting. Must be ambidextrous stocked as I shoot left handed and the kids that inherit them are right handed. Will be shooting scoped as these old eyes have about given up. Under $1K What rings height to fit a Leupold 6.5-20 X 40 on suggested rifle Thanks
My Anschutz 1710, CZ 452 and Tikka T1x are all very accurate (i.e., sub moa) when fed the ammo they prefer. I've read good reports about the new CZ 457s but haven't shot one myself yet. For the Leupold 6.5x40, Warne medium height rimfire rings should work fine on the CZ and Tikka based on my experiences with similar target scopes if all you're concerned about is getting the objective end to clear the barrel. However, depending on your neck size and facial profile, you may want to experiment with different height rings. My Anschutz is setup as a silhouette rifle so I use higher than normal rings. Given your LH/RH preference, I would suggest the Tikka T1x.

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
IMO, the best value right now, taking features and accuracy into account, is the CZ 457. I bought mine to shoot ARA benchrest, plenty accurate. The ARA rules specified gun and scope could not cost over $1000. The CZ with a 6-34 Athlon scope came in under the limit, although they have gone up since I bought mine three years ago. I needed a lighter weight rifle for another match so I added a Lilja sporter weight barrel. It only takes minutes to swap barrels using a Torx driver on two screws. Foolproof!

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
You can find a used Anschutz 54 for under a grand fairly easily. It may have some wear but it’ll still shoot.
Keep an eye on Simpson ltd as they pop up there often.

The ambidextrous clause is a tough one but swapping a stock down the road isnt hard

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A 54 is the MOST,for the least. Hint............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Tikka T1X worth a look, they win a lot of ARA Factory class matchs round here. Sub $600.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Big Stick
A 54 is the MOST,for the least. Hint............

I agree with this. I'm outfitting my grandkids one by one even before they grow to teenagers. They start out with rascal's at a very young age. The Annie's are waiting for them.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Remington 581 and the CZ 452, 455, and 457 are USUALLY good bang for the buck! Way under $1,000. Save $ and buy real good glass. My buddy had a Manner's stocked CZ. Nothing to write home about and we tried lots of different ammo. Good luck on your hunt.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Razorhog
Remington 581 and the CZ 452, 455, and 457 are USUALLY good bang for the buck! Way under $1,000. Save $ and buy real good glass. My buddy had a Manner's stocked CZ. Nothing to write home about and we tried lots of different ammo. Good luck on your hunt.

The 581 is a sleeper. A 541 without fancy makeup, but are hard to find.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cznut
Tikka T1X worth a look, they win a lot of ARA Factory class matchs round here. Sub $600.

A friend of mine just bought a T1X MTR for shooting NRL22 (I'm using a B14R) and it shoots very, very well. Every ammo we tried was around .5" at 50 yards, with the good stuff, turning in .2s and .3s. The trigger is extremely good. The factory support is there for stocks accessories etc.

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Chuck_R
Originally Posted by cznut

A friend of mine just bought a T1X MTR for shooting NRL22 (I'm using a B14R) and it shoots very, very well. Every ammo we tried was around .5" at 50 yards, with the good stuff, turning in .2s and .3s. The trigger is extremely good. The factory support is there for stocks accessories etc.

SOME of Tikkas shoot that well. Not all of them do.

Mine did OK with good ammo, but it went down the road in a year. I could not tolerate the poor ejection system, magazine and firing pin designs- all three of which failed within the first 1,000 rounds. I have owned over 100 rimfire bolt guns in the last 45 years . Several of them were Sako p72, m78 and p94 rifles ,so I definitely know the Finns can build a really good rifle if they want to.

My Tikka T1x was the FIRST rimfire rifle I have ever owned that broke it's firing pin. And Beretta's customer service was no help when I needed it. The pin failed because the forward portion is build LIKE A SEWING NEEDLE compared to other modern rimfire bolt action firing pins. Tikka and Beretta should be ashamed of some of the basic design flaws in the T1x. They are all unforced errors on what could have truly been a world beating rifle.

CZ 457s win a lot of matches too. And they actually function long term as repeaters without breaking down due to basic design flaws..

Last edited by jk16; 08/30/23.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Grandbabies here,start with a Vudoo. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Rough zero and the only rounds shot through it,as it patiently awaits it's driver. Hint.

I've better than a dozen 54's. Have suffered CZ's,as well as most of the 5XX Big Green series. Bi green for the win there. I've yet to see a Bergara shoot worth a fhuqk. Vudon'ts get you in the door. Hint.

Pass the 54 and hold The Fluff. Hint..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 19rabbit52, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 64 invisible), 2,198 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,086
Posts18,521,894
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.