Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
That they have made getting a CDL much harder than before? I hope so, but I don't know if it's true. I've seen a few goofballs driving big rigs like they were Mazda Miatas in the last few years.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Harder, no. Much more expensive, yes. Someone lobbied to require schooling to get a cdl and it has really screwed up driver availability. And most business insurance companies require 3yrs experience to hire a driver now so the people who spend $6k to get a license can’t get hired.

Follow the money.

Recovering Yankee
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Harder? No

New drivers are required to have ELDT which is entry level driver training. Can be done on-line for 100. Still allows you to get a CDL without a formal CDL school. Learn from an uncle, on the farm etc.

Old drivers required to take it if upgrading or adding hazmat as new endorsement.

Me

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
They should do something. It’s pretty ridiculous what is turned loose tearing across the interstate in a semi.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
They should do something. It’s pretty ridiculous what is turned loose tearing across the interstate in a semi.

Amen!

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E logs, cameras, low rates, govt emission standards are just a few of the reasons drivers are hard to find. They want electric self driving trucks.... the days of the owner operator are over.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
yes. you have heard correctly. they set dates twice that I know of and then keep putting it off because of I think the first time they blame covid in the second time it's just a shortage of truck drivers so they don't want to limit it.... supposedly you're going to have to have so many hours of classroom training and driving instruction and more or less going to send you to a CDL School to even get a license now whether you can qualify on your own or not...
most of the guys that I know that qualified on their own early rephrase that past test on their own are better drivers and comes out a lot of the CDL schools. most of them schools just want the money and they pass people left and right boom boom boom that have no business behind the wheel of a car let alone big.. nowadays there's a lot of drivers on the road that have no idea how to drive a manual big truck because automatics are quickly becoming the standard heavy truck..

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Amen!

Bullshit.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
They give the CDL's to illegals.......

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I could remove the dates and you can guess when COVID hit.

Carriers might be short drivers but the industry is not. MC count is about 7-10 years ahead of schedule. Industry could shed 65k drivers to get to where we'd "normally" be.

Truck driver shortage is pushed by the ATA to garner fed dollars for "CDL training" programs/grants to solve this 'crisis'

Me

IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by 12344mag
They give the CDL's to illegals.......

Any white independent need not apply.

Or he better apply to a chickenshit truck driving school.

It's totally not intended to put the small independents out of business.

Totally not.

I am MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Amen!

Bullshit.
Eskimo exemption of course!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I see some doozy flatbed drivers on the daily. Many can't speak a word of English, 2 are deaf and mute (Not kidding) and the others are old fat white guys that take forever to strap a load down because they have a hell of a time getting up on the trailer. Especially when they are showing 10" of ass crack.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A drive across Wyoming on I-80 will tell you everything you need to know.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Did a little OTR driving back in the mid 80's!
Made about 6 transcontinental trips. WV to CA and back.
It didn't take many stops at TA and Rip Griffin truck stops to figure out that OTR drivers weren't the sharpest tools in the shed!
Not sure how some of them could find their way back to their truck from the restaurant! 🤪

Some of them were pretty rude too. No wonder people hate OTR drivers!
One stated, "I turn on my blinker to move over. After 3 blinks, I just move over. It's up to them to get out of the way!"

I quit OTR when my wife told me my daughter had told her friends she didn't have a daddy anymore. He left home! I picked up the phone and quit right then!

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
It would be easier to get a medical card to be a commercial airline pilot.

Expect freight rates to rise.....we have no idea why.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
It would be easier to get a medical card to be a commercial airline pilot.

Expect freight rates to rise.....we have no idea why.

They pretty much can't get lower right now. I mean they could I guess but still....

Freight rates will rise when enough capacity leaves the market for current demand. I don't anticipate massive demand increases 2023 at all. Tender rejections need to hit 10% before spot market rates will raise and stick. It's in the 4% range with volumes up 12% over last 6 months. Means there's still way too much capacity.

"Fall rush" would have already been booked for sailing and that's off/down.

Me

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (10gaugemag, 17Fan, 01Foreman400, 160user, 12344mag, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,318
Posts18,487,346
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.