-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've had gout in some non-traditional places. Knees and elbow. Don't get it very often any more as I'm on the daily Allopurinol pill (300 mg).

Was doing some work this morning laying on my side and eradicating dust bunnies under the bed. I'm about half way done and my hip starts hurting pretty good. First thought is - I got a hip pointer somehow, but there was no blunt force to this area. It got to the point where I could barely walk and even sitting in recliner was pretty painful. Decided to take some Meth (Indomethicin) which I have a healthy supply of on hand. First dose started to alleviate the pain and the second dose made it go away. No swelling or redness at the hip joint.

I was being a good boy (I think) and not eating any trigger foods or beer and drinking plenty of H2O.

Where's the strangest place its affected you?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gout generally attacks injured (even old injuries) joints that are the lowest in your body. That's why the joint at the base of the big toe is the most common location. Uric acid tends to pool in the lowest extremities.

Unlucky individuals might also get it in the ankle(s), even less unlucky persons can get it in the knees and hips. Ouch!

Lying on your side allowed your hip to be among the lowests points of your body. A person can avoid all the trigger foods and hydrate themselves to near drowning, but if they have abnormally high levels of uric acid, they can still get gout. Have you ever been tested for uric acid in the blood?

I know I have asomewhat elevated uric acid level. I have had gout, in the base of my right big toe. I injured the joint playing ball hockey in 1988/89. (most violent sport I ever played. No equipment. "Non-contact". Rigggght. I'd hate to see our injuries if we were going after each others heads.)

Last edited by AB2506; 08/30/23.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Iv had it in wrist,elbow, knee and toes. My right wristbones got destroyed/pitted by it before the doc figured it out

Wake up to this!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
It could be a spondyloarthropothy like psoriasis arthritis or ankylosing spondylitis. I have ankylosing spondylitis and they told me for several years it was just gout. Even after having fluid drained from a very swollen ankle and lab test negative for uric acid crystals they still told me it was gout.

After several years and many extreme flair ups a Dr at University of Utah did an ultrasound on most of my joints and could tell from the types of damage I had both gout and ankylosing spondylitis. People with spondylitis often have gout too. I'm up now at 3:00 am again due to pain from it. Hip pain is common with AS.

Bb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
It could be a spondyloarthropothy like psoriasis arthritis or ankylosing spondylitis. I have ankylosing spondylitis and they told me for several years it was just gout. Even after having fluid drained from a very swollen ankle and lab test negative for uric acid crystals they still told me it was gout.

After several years and many extreme flair ups a Dr at University of Utah did an ultrasound on most of my joints and could tell from the types of damage I had both gout and ankylosing spondylitis. People with spondylitis often have gout too. I'm up now at 3:00 am again due to pain from it. Hip pain is common with AS.

Bb

Gabapentin can be a great pain reliever against gout. High dosages of Allipurinol are also good. I buy both from an off shore pharmacy.

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Dick!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
My buddy, about 55, started having issues in his pinky toe, he thought is was gout, but it got worse and worse, turned out it was Bergers disease the whole time and found out he only had about 40% blood flow in both legs. I had never heard of it before, but evidently years of smoking can cause it. Some stints in one leg and a bypass in another and he's good now

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’m on 3600 Gabapentin a day. I can’t feel much in my left foot due to damage to the nerves at the spine. However, if I get gout in my right toe, Gabapentin doesn’t help me.

I start dosing myself with horse pill sized naproxen. Two pills when pain first starts, then two a day. If I jump on it, I should be better in one to two days. If I don’t do that, it might last a week.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AB2506
I’m on 3600 Gabapentin a day. I can’t feel much in my left foot due to damage to the nerves at the spine. However, if I get gout in my right toe, Gabapentin doesn’t help me.

I start dosing myself with horse pill sized naproxen. Two pills when pain first starts, then two a day. If I jump on it, I should be better in one to two days. If I don’t do that, it might last a week.

Perhaps its my nueropathy that responds to G.

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I could use a healthy supply myself...Meth (Indomethicin)....that knocks it out but good !
Hands, wrist,
elbow....calf one kicked myazz

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 3584ELK
Originally Posted by AB2506

Perhaps its my nueropathy that responds to G.
Gabapentin was prescribed for me a while back when some docs were thrashing around trying to kill some furious pain effects. It did nothing whatsoever in that situation.

Later it was explained that G primarily is for nerve-centered problems/pain - no doubt why it helps with the neuropathy.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
I've had gout in some non-traditional places. Knees and elbow. Don't get it very often any more as I'm on the daily Allopurinol pill (300 mg).

Was doing some work this morning laying on my side and eradicating dust bunnies under the bed. I'm about half way done and my hip starts hurting pretty good. First thought is - I got a hip pointer somehow, but there was no blunt force to this area. It got to the point where I could barely walk and even sitting in recliner was pretty painful. Decided to take some Meth (Indomethicin) which I have a healthy supply of on hand. First dose started to alleviate the pain and the second dose made it go away. No swelling or redness at the hip joint.

I was being a good boy (I think) and not eating any trigger foods or beer and drinking plenty of H2O.

Sounds a lot like my condition. My allopurinol is less, 100mg per day, but it keeps my uric acid down to 5.9, which my doc says is below the gout trigger. Greenies (indomethacin 25 mg caps) do the job when I get the occasional flare. Strangest place, and most recent, was in my right shoulder A/C joint. My rule of thumb is if you get a new joint pain without any objective trauma, nail it with 2 greenies and see if it eases. If so, follow with 1 greenie every 6 hours for a day, then its gone! In other words, presume its gout and go from there. If the greenies don't work, then its something else. Thanks for posting.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I've heard a rumor when you get it in your ear, some people cure it w a bullet. Recently discovered that the Balance of Nature pills gave it to me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Gout is a MF'er no doubt.

You can get uric acid crystals deposited in any joint. Knees and elbows are common. but any joint is possible.

Colchine is normally added to allopurinol for an acute attack. Indomethicin is effect in reducing inflamation in an acute attack, but is murder on the stomach.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Colchine thats a nuke to gout ! ....I was wondering why they're so finicky and giving that stuff out, you get like six pills ,nine pills , I got 20 once before ....but recently they go right down to the single digits .....then I'm watching a show... one of them science Medical who killed who murdered what happened shows the young punk azz guy gave a healthy young 40-year-old chick a bunch of that.... colchine ....her body started to shut down in all different spots by the time they figure it out what it was she was dead frown ....oh yeah the chick worked for a doctor to boot.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

657 members (10Glocks, 160user, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 64 invisible), 2,685 guests, and 1,422 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,099
Posts18,483,079
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.