Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I myself tend toward old guns and brand new trucks

HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How about the 8mm Mauser with spitzer bullets? It came before the 30-06. It looks very close in performance and appearance.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by barm
How about the 8mm Mauser with spitzer bullets? It came before the 30-06. It looks very close in performance and appearance.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Works for me!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

One shot, one hole!

(Cherry-picked, of course!)

ya!

GWB

PS: Under 200 yds.

PPS: That one is a keeper!

Last edited by geedubya; 08/30/23.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I see where now the 160gr .284 Hornady CX is out, carrying a BC of right at .600, not far off the old 162 A-Max. They claim it needs a 1-8 twist to spin it and the 7mm PRC factory load advertises 3,000FPS. For a near/far moderately-recoiling hunting combo that should penetrate deep from nearly any angle, that combo looks fairly tough to beat.

Now with even more aplomb
R
R
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by RobHazmat
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
I suppose when I was younger a new cartridge rolling on the scene was sorta interesting. As I get older, it seems I just chuckle a bit and think to myself … what can this chambering do that my 30/06 can’t? I’m sure you’ll hear from folks claiming some sorta niche it may be capable of but I got to ask myself is it something we all really were looking for? Simplicity is what satisfies myself these days. I guess we will see how much marketing is dumped into another cartridge.

New cartridges are like new trucks. All the "cool" guys buy the new ones so they can show them off to their friends, but in the end it's still a truck.

Spoken like a true female that doesnt know the differences between trucks lol

Sorry I triggered you to the point of calling names and making blind assumptions. Welcome to the Fire. lol

You seem more triggered than I am lol. Just making an honest assessment. Just like a female not realizing theres diesel trucks, gas trucks, 2WD, 4x4, etc. All she sees are trucks. Thats where youre similar not seeing the differences in cartridges. 🤷‍♂️

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I suppose when I was younger a new cartridge rolling on the scene was sorta interesting. As I get older, it seems I just chuckle a bit and think to myself … what can this chambering do that my 30/06 can’t? I’m sure you’ll hear from folks claiming some sorta niche it may be capable of but I got to ask myself is it something we all really were looking for? Simplicity is what satisfies myself these days. I guess we will see how much marketing is dumped into another cartridge.

New cartridges are like new trucks. All the "cool" guys buy the new ones so they can show them off to their friends, but in the end it's still a truck.

Sorry I triggered you to the point of calling names and making blind assumptions. Welcome to the Fire. lol

You seem more triggered than I am lol. Just making an honest assessment. Just like a female not realizing theres diesel trucks, gas trucks, 2WD, 4x4, etc. All she sees are trucks. Thats where youre similar not seeing the differences in cartridges. 🤷‍♂️

Is this Larry from Paradise? Sorry but that gig is already taken here. Keep moving along, newbie. smile

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I think all the PRC cartridges have a lot to offer. May even build a 6.5 or .300 myself.

The only complaint I have about new cartridges coming out is when manufacturers dedicate limited resources and time in the production schedule to produce components for the tried and true. Diverting production from proven winners to make future losers is pretty annoying when everything is in short supply anyway.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There's nothing new under the sun. They're all the same in that they are all subject to the same laws of physics, endowing them with their own limitations, capabilities, strengths, and weaknesses.

What ever works for a given situation...

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

R
R

Is this Larry from Paradise? Sorry but that gig is already taken here. Keep moving along, newbie. smile

You just pick out whichever truck you think is prettiest cutie. You look like youd make a good passenger princess

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I just wish the firearms industry would contine to support the new things they try to sell us. I am reluctant to buy the newest whiz bang chambering and then in a few years they quit making ammo and components for it. The oddball I have is a 35 Whelen and thankfully I bought a bunch of brass early and enough bullets to hunt with it. At least with a 270 or 30-06 you can buy ammo for it. And they both work.

IC B3

R
R
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I just wish the firearms industry would contine to support the new things they try to sell us. I am reluctant to buy the newest whiz bang chambering and then in a few years they quit making ammo and components for it. The oddball I have is a 35 Whelen and thankfully I bought a bunch of brass early and enough bullets to hunt with it. At least with a 270 or 30-06 you can buy ammo for it. And they both work.

Now this we can agree on. The one thing the 270 and 30-06 will have the advantage in is availability. That being said, I did buy about 500 rounds of 7mm PRC from the get go so I know Id at least have reusable brass for quite some time. Luckily 7mm components are oretty easy to find.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's some bad-ass new sock puppet we got here...rattlesnake mean! What a dick.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RiverRider
That's some bad-ass new sock puppet we got here...rattlesnake mean! What a dick.

He'll be gone once grade school starts up again.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

What a dick indeed!

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
At 64 and tired of BS, you're exactly right! I kinda chuckle too, and kinda see Bearclaw Chris Lapp, riding into Jeremiah's camp, see him in his older age, staring into the fire, and see all that confusion in his head, about what cartridge to shoot next, which rifle???
Bearclaw just feels pity, says, "You've come far Pilgrim! Twere it worth the trouble!?"
Eventually Bearclaw mounts up to ride off. In his Saddle Bag, several cans powder, all 4350 & 4064. And a mule just to pack his vast array of bullets, mostly Speer H.C. & Nosler Partitions, from 125gr to 225gr!! And Bearclaws last comment is,
"An 06 will get it done from here well past the Mussel Shell! Good thing to know when times get hard! I bid you a Farewell!"

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Windknot
At 64 and tired of BS, you're exactly right! I kinda chuckle too, and kinda see Bearclaw Chris Lapp, riding into Jeremiah's camp, see him in his older age, staring into the fire, and see all that confusion in his head, about what cartridge to shoot next, which rifle???
Bearclaw just feels pity, says, "You've come far Pilgrim! Twere it worth the trouble!?"
Eventually Bearclaw mounts up to ride off. In his Saddle Bag, several cans powder, all 4350 & 4064. And a mule just to pack his vast array of bullets, mostly Speer H.C. & Nosler Partitions, from 125gr to 225gr!! And Bearclaws last comment is,
"An 06 will get it done from here well past the Mussel Shell! Good thing to know when times get hard! I bid you a Farewell!"

Holy smokes, that was good to go!

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by Windknot

Holy smokes, that was good to go!

Agreed. Put a smile on my face. Thanks Windknot!

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Just remember, there's a 30-06 in every 7mm PRC! But there isn't a 7mm PRC in any 30-06! Lol!

Just having some fun, don't get your panties in a knot...

For the record, I like them all, and just don't understand knocking any of them, old or new! Too much cool stuff out there!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
R
R

Been done with grade school for about 30 years, done with my masters for about 20. Sorry your little ego couldnt handle a little ribbing haha. We can get the suture kit out for that bleeding you got going on.

R
R
Originally Posted by WhelenAway

What a dick indeed!

Man, I hope you guys will all be ok.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

184 members (12344mag, 280rem_cm, 35, 2UP, 44mc, 375TN, 17 invisible), 1,614 guests, and 1,038 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,963
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.